Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ambrostan
Level 1
Level 1

Lenovo Ideapad Z585 - Cannot install Mint

Post by ambrostan »

Hi, I have spent most of today trying to install LMDE on a Lenovo Ideapad Z585. It currently has Windows 7 installed.

I have tried a DVD boot and a USB boot.

Both allow me access to the usual boot menu, however and again with both the DVD and USB iso, after I select install I get a grey screen with a blinking cursor.

I have tried all manner of resolutions suggested on the web but have got nowhere. I believe it may be something to do with either the AMD A8 Vision graphics set up or some to do with UEFI.

Can anyone help?

andersau
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Lenovo Ideapad Z585 - Cannot install Mint

Post by andersau »

Hi, are you trying to boot with the lid of your laptop closed and an external monitor? I had a problem with this, and had to boot with the laptop open. I have a HP laptop with AMD graphics, not sure which graphics chip.

Previously I was able to select boot from media in the bios, choose the boot option from the grub menu, close the lid and my monitor would boot into the desktop. With the current release I got a bunch of error messages.

ambrostan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ambrostan »

I am not using and external monitor, should I be doing this?

So far I have burned the LMDE iso to a couple of DVD's. I have checked the media on both and it is fine. I have then changed the boot order in my bios for the DVD to boot first, restarted my machine and the DVD does boot first giving me the usual boot options from the iso.

When I select install the DVD starts to work but all I get is the grey screen and the blinking cursor.

Exactly the same thing happens when I use a bootable USB.

I have also tried compatibility mode which shows lines of data on a black screen but only gets as far as a section titled pport and hangs, again with both the DVD and the USB.

I have also tried to change the UEFI settings, this gives me an option to use UEFI or Legacy. If I change options to UEFI and nothing at all happens, just a black screen and I have to use the Legacy First option in the BIOS.

I hope this sort of makes sense, I really don't want to use windows but I have no idea what to do.

andersau
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andersau »

Hi, sounds like your problem is different from mine. Have you tried using the mainstream LinuxMint rather than the Debian edition? It is a bit more user friendly and has less quirks, so might be a better option if you are having some hardware issues. LinuxMint 14 Cinnamon is very good in my opinion, and LinuxMint 15 will be even better when released in the next few weeks.

ambrostan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ambrostan »

I have tried using Ubuntu, Linux Mint (all flavours) Fedora and Opensuse.

I get the same result with every distro, as soon as I select install I get the grey screen with the blinking cursor.

andersau
Level 2
Level 2

Post by andersau »

Have you tried booting into a live session rather than installing from the CD/DVD/USB Stick? I normally do that and install from the desktop icon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”