Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
nellybob
Level 1
Level 1

GRUB rescue prompt - live USB boots to black screen

Post by nellybob »

I may have royally screwed myself on this one...

I made the switch from Windows to Mint 13 almost a year ago now and could never turn back so I decided to check out the latest and greatest that Mint had to offer. Last night I installed Mint 15 over Mint 13 and upon reboot came across a "grub rescue" prompt for the first time. I used the Mint 15 live USB to successfully boot and try some fixes suggested found in various places around the internet - most suggesting I go into a live version of Mint and fixing from the terminal. I was unsuccessful, went to bed and started again this morning... also unsuccessfully. Later this morning, the live USB began booting to a black screen with a blinking cursor.

Have tried booting from other USBs with Mint 15, the original Mint 13, Super Grub 2 and even a USB with an image of the Asus recovery DVD all with the same result - blinking cursor.

I have tried making changes via the grub rescue command line as well. The most notable at this time - to set prefix as (hd0,5)/boot/grub - from what I have read, this folder should contain the grub modules - mine does not. It only contains the gfxblacklist,txt, grub.cfg, i386-pc/, locale/, fonts/, grubenv setup_left_core_image_in_filesystem. Did I misunderstand what this folder should contain?

I suspect my first course of action is getting a live USB working again but any course that results in my computer working again is great in my book.

I have an Asus N53SV with an i5 and 6MB of RAM. I'd love to give more info about my computer but without an operating system I am only going off of the stickers on the front!

I will keep searching and hopefully come up with an answer to my dilemma but any help from the Mint community would be much appreciated. Thanks!
dieselboyDB
Level 2
Level 2

Re: GRUB rescue prompt - live USB boots to black screen

Post by dieselboyDB »

Sounds like your pc is not finding any bootable media check your bios boot order and does your usb media boot to any kind of text or gui menu at all? Just some starting points...

dieselboyDB
Redondo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Redondo »

Are you sure mint was installed on hd0,5 ?

if you issue a 'ls' from the grub prompt, it will list all you partitions.

If mint is on hd0,5 did you try from the grub prompt
grub> configfile (hd0,msdos5)/boot/grub/grub.cfg
nellybob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nellybob »

Dieselboy- my bios does not have an option to define a usb drive as a default option. What i have been doing is manually selecting the usb in a boot override option. No, the media does not boot to text or a gui at all. Just a blinking cursor in the top left of the screen.

Redondo- hd0,5 is my linux partition. All others return an unknown filesystem error while hd0,5 shows all my system folders with the ls command (home, bin, boot, etc). I had not tried that command until tonight but the system does not recognize the 'configfile' command. Did i mis-interpret the instructions?

Thanks for the help everyone. I must go to bed for the night but will check back after work tomorrow.
dieselboyDB
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dieselboyDB »

Just a quick question ..Can you boot cd media or anything else?
dieselboyDB
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dieselboyDB »

Oh I forgot what brand and model pc this may help too...
dieselboyDB
Level 2
Level 2

Post by dieselboyDB »

sorry i reread the first post got the brand and model...
nellybob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nellybob »

I had that thought yesterday and am burning an installation dvd at work today. I will have an answer to that question later today.
karlen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by karlen »

Since I was playing with a bunch of distros recently, and frequently running into problems at GRUB time, I burned the "Boot-Repair" ISO to CD, and it's been very helpful on a couple of different machines. (Did NOT try it with USB yet.)

Not always making the cleanest menu (depending how many kernels it finds), but generally finds a way to list at least one option that works. Helped me keep my willingness to take chances with distros.

Return to “Installation & Boot”