Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Fuzzy Penquin
Level 3
Level 3

dual boot n00b question: grub [SOLVED]

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

I'm trying to dual boot from separate hard drives. I think I managed to install Grub through Terminal (trial & error guessing at commands), since it seemed to be missing and I understand that I need a boot manager. Still no sign of Grub in the GUI, though. So, my question is.... now what do I do? Since there is no mention of it in my taskbar's menu, and I have no idea what commands to input into Terminal, I'm kind of stuck. I need to tell Grub that I have a second hard drive with another OS on it.

Lost n00b is lost....

Thanks in advanced for any help provided! :-)
Last edited by Fuzzy Penquin on Fri May 31, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, 2x 1TB HDD, MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt motherboard, Nvidia GTX1080, Mint 19.1 64-bit w/Cinnamon.

I am a n00b! Please assume zero knowledge on my part. Sorry for any dumb questions, I am still learning.
Dis93
Level 1
Level 1

Re: dual boot n00b question: grub

Post by Dis93 »

I have a Win 7 machine that I added a second drive to install Mint onto. I booted from the live dvd and at install chose the do something else option. There I formatted the 2nd drive as ext4 with a mount point of /(390GB) and a small area(10GB) for swap. At the bottom of the partitioner there is a drop down for where to put the GRUB bootloader. I chose to put it on the Win 7 drive. Now when my rig boots up GRUB appears with the default option of MINT and the choice of WIn7 if preferred.
A word of warning tho, if you put GRUB on the Win 7 drive and your install messes up (like mine did when I tried the 15 RC) GRUB throws up an error about missing device and you cannnot boot into Win7 either. I googled a bit and foundout how to restore the Win MBR bootloader but even easier I reinstalled the stable 14 as outlined above and everything returned to as it was.
TLDR tell the Live DVD where you want the GRUB, don't install it via command line.
Fuzzy Penquin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

>>...don't install via command line<<

Oops, lol. Oh well, I can always wipe my Mint HDD and reinstall as you outlined, in case I really messed something up while attempting to install Grub.

So to install Grub to the Mint hard drive (to avoid the same install mess-up that you encountered), do I just do as you outlined, but select the Mint drive as the install location for Grub? Or does Grub have to be on the second hard drive where my other OS is? I'm guessing that it doesn't matter, but I just want to make sure before I attempt anything, since I might have done wrong on my own yesterday, lol.

Thanks for the help Dis93! :D
Intel i7-3770k 3.5GHz, 16GB 1600MHz RAM, 2x 1TB HDD, MSI Z77A-G45 Thunderbolt motherboard, Nvidia GTX1080, Mint 19.1 64-bit w/Cinnamon.

I am a n00b! Please assume zero knowledge on my part. Sorry for any dumb questions, I am still learning.
Biker
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Biker »

I have two hard drives in my notebook. /dev/sda is my Windows drive and /dev/sdb is my Linux drive. I have several Linux distributions on sdb as well. When I installed Mint, I selected the partitions on /dev/sdb that I wanted to use, and then told the installer to install Grub to sdb. This leaves the Windows drive alone (sda) and gives you a working Grub menu on sdb.
Linux User #384279
Fuzzy Penquin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

[SOLVED]

Thanks guys, it was incredibly easy. I went ahead and reformatted the drive and reinstalled Mint just in case I screwed something up with my first attempt at installing Grub via Terminal, and in doing so Grub was automattically installed and it auto-recognized the second hard drive and it's OS. Everything works as it should. Yay!

You guys rock! :D

Return to “Installation & Boot”