Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mbman88
Level 1
Level 1

Need to backup user data but cannot use OS

Post by mbman88 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:52 pm

Okay, my memory is not my friend.. So I don't know WHICH backup program I used to backup my Home folder in Ubuntu... but I need to do this again because Linux Mint once again (out of the countless times) froze up and I had to force shutdown. I tried to get Linux Mint 13 back up and it refuses, it keeps bringing me to a specific screen that I would GLADLY show on here if someone could tell me how to copy the contents of this screen.. my guess is that I'll have to physically take a picture then upload it onto this thread. So I will do that after I post this. The basic idea, however, is to either get Linux Mint 13 back online and happy so that I can backup or to somehow backup by perhaps using a Disc with Ubuntu or something on it.. Just looking for all options I have.. maybe something I have overlooked. I am not here to hate against Linux Mint 13.. it seems like it would a great attempt but from my own experiences it has been a horrible time. Some basic problems I've had before I had real problems were: Cinnamon is too slow (abnormally slow, if people are just saying "that's how it is" then I guess I've been spoiled up to this point), Update manager doesn't notify you of new updates, and I've looked on the forums at this issue... Screen cap isn't a true screencap and doesn't function as effectively... real problems are: it's slow so it makes it easy to freeze up, I have lots of freezes, I cannot start the OS now.
And someone is BOUND to tell me my computer is "old".. Maybe it is... I bought it in 2009. It's an Asus and not many people seem to understand what that is... Asus is a top-notch motherboard manufacturer and they went into gaming-laptop manufacturing.. so that's what I have.. a smaller gaming laptop. It's hardware is not depleted beyond typical wear and I've kept good care of it. But because it's an Asus I could see that Linux Mint very easily may not have been optimized for it for even basic stability.. and that's my personal conclusion. If someone wants to do the research I'd be happy to give whatever data you would need about my computer to see if it's something Linux Mint has issues with or not. It might even be something unrelated to Mint itself and might have to do with the nVidia drivers.. I don't know exactly, but I know that I've never had these problems before on my LInux OS's or not as consistently on my Windows OS's.
Please help. Thank you in advance

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Need to backup user data but cannot use OS

Post by wayne128 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:02 pm

If you cannot boot into the installed OS, and you want to backup/copy/save some files on hard disk, then you can consider using Linux OS to run live.

A very good method is to use partedmagic iso.
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php#.Uaq1eJY55DY

You can burn it to a DVD/CD or USB flash, then run it Live, it will eject CD/DVD and run in RAM, thus give you access to DVD/CD for file copying.

Partedmagic has lots of program already preinstalled, such as gparted, test disk, fsarchiver, clonezilla etc.
It can let you mount any hard disk partition and access them

fsarchiver / clonezilla /gparted are common method to use for cloning partitions.

mbman88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mbman88 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:13 pm

wayne128 wrote:If you cannot boot into the installed OS, and you want to backup/copy/save some files on hard disk, then you can consider using Linux OS to run live.

A very good method is to use partedmagic iso.
http://partedmagic.com/doku.php#.Uaq1eJY55DY

You can burn it to a DVD/CD or USB flash, then run it Live, it will eject CD/DVD and run in RAM, thus give you access to DVD/CD for file copying.

Partedmagic has lots of program already preinstalled, such as gparted, test disk, fsarchiver, clonezilla etc.
It can let you mount any hard disk partition and access them

fsarchiver / clonezilla /gparted are common method to use for cloning partitions.
Is it possible to determine which software program I used to backup by just looking at the backup files?
Also, I posted an image... but you will have to click to see it from my dropbox.

mbman88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mbman88 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:38 am

The OS-not-booting situation is resolved for the moment. I am extremely lucky that the OS decided to boot so that it could repair the disk. I have no idea what exactly caused the problem..

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:21 am

mbman88 wrote:The OS-not-booting situation is resolved for the moment. I am extremely lucky that the OS decided to boot so that it could repair the disk. I have no idea what exactly caused the problem..
Good to have it boot and run.

Perhaps it is time to do full backup / clone on both data and OS partitions.

justy39
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justy39 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:24 pm

clonezilla is ur best friend. Use unetbootin and install it on a usb drive. Saved my butt many many times.
Odin's Oath Keepers.

mbman88
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mbman88 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:44 pm

oooo. This sounds effective. Thanks guys

Return to “Installation & Boot”