Mint 15 MATE 64 bit release fail

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Old Marine

Mint 15 MATE 64 bit release fail

Post by Old Marine »

I have now tried twice to install (full fresh install) on my Toshiba P755-S5390 Laptop from two different DVD's. Both downloaded and checksum verified and verified as well by K3B. On the first attempt it appeared to load properly but kernel panics galore on almost everything I tried. On the second attempt it appeared to load properly, and I could even download the 30 updates. After that, many things failed, but the synaptic package manager would always freeze the system with a hard lockup, which required a power cycle as the only way to clear it. Even the Alt-F2 xkill would not clear it. As in the header this was the MATE 64 bit release. Since I see so much complimentary about this release, I'd love to upgrade from Mint 14, but am unable to do so. I assume that many of those compliments are coming from Cinnamon or 32 bit releases. I'm hoping I've furnished sufficient info, and if I can be of any further help, I will be happy to do anything required. Mint rules!
--Don
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
monkeyboy

Re: Mint 15 MATE 64 bit release fail

Post by monkeyboy »

Old Marine wrote:I have now tried twice to install (full fresh install) on my Toshiba P755-S5390 Laptop from two different DVD's. Both downloaded and checksum verified and verified as well by K3B. On the first attempt it appeared to load properly but kernel panics galore on almost everything I tried. On the second attempt it appeared to load properly, and I could even download the 30 updates. After that, many things failed, but the synaptic package manager would always freeze the system with a hard lockup, which required a power cycle as the only way to clear it. Even the Alt-F2 xkill would not clear it. As in the header this was the MATE 64 bit release. Since I see so much complimentary about this release, I'd love to upgrade from Mint 14, but am unable to do so. I assume that many of those compliments are coming from Cinnamon or 32 bit releases. I'm hoping I've furnished sufficient info, and if I can be of any further help, I will be happy to do anything required. Mint rules!
--Don
Man that is a drag. I remember seeing a similar bug report over on a Parsix site http://www.parsix.org/ticket/185 so I went looking and found this.

Old Marine: " Computer is Toshiba P755-S5390. Graphics is Intel Sandy Bridge Gen 2. Processor is Intel I7 Core.
1-Option 1 on install menu will not start. Had to use Install in Video Failsafe.
2-On first install attempt got info that said Gnome 3 would not support Video and was operating in fallback mode.
3-Install did not complete - stopped at 99% when copying files and mouse hung and apparently system frozen.

I can confirm that the download did verify with the MD5 Sum and that K3B assured me that the DVD did verify.
I can also confirm that the DVD when run in verify DVD mode did checksum both properly and tried to install and also hung.

I hope this info will help, as I very much like what I see and hear about this distro."

So my question is did you ever get that problem handled? If so you might find similar fixes somewhat applicable here as well. Good Luck
Old Marine

Post by Old Marine »

Hi Monkeyboy, no, I never did solve that one. But this is not quite the same thing. I did get far enough to know Parsix wasn't for me, and that was quite a while back, Been running Mint 14 since then. To be honest this one is the first time I've ever seen a kernel panic (first attempt) and the second time appeared to work until you tried to make something (almost anything) function. What is especially worrisome is that the two DVD's behaved differently, despite both of those DVD's checksummed and K3B verified the burn of both.
Don
MoonfireArt

Post by MoonfireArt »

Its not just MATE 64 bit. We have been having major problems with Cinnamon 64 bit as well. The Kernel won't even load on mine. I hope the devs are loking into this, and I'd like to echo your earlier statements, anything I can do to help, just let me know!

Return to “Installation & Boot”