LM 14 to 15 in place upgrade - reads Ubuntu

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

LM 14 to 15 in place upgrade - reads Ubuntu

Post by hpmc13 »

I just finished an in-place upgrade from LM 14 to 15 (Cinnamon). It went very smoothly, though it took a long time. Rebooted and my GRUB menu changed. The first two entries are "Ubuntu" and "Advanced Settings for Ubuntu."

I went ahead and chose Ubuntu and everything looks like the release candidate (which I had run in VirtualBox).

Right before the MDM greeter I get a quick look at what it's doing and I saw Ubuntu 13.04.

When I go into System Setttings | System Info, I get that I'm running Cinnamon 1.8.6, the distro is Ubuntu 13.04: raring, the Kernel is 3.8.0-23-generic.

Did I really upgrade properly, or is this some sort of Frankenstein?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LM 14 to 15 in place upgrade - reads Ubuntu

Post by hpmc13 »

I found another place where it reads Ubuntu - in Bootchart. The second line of the header reads "release: Ubuntu 13.04

I followed these instructions to upgrade: [url]http://linuxg.net/how-to-update-upgrade-from-linux-mint-14-nadia-to-linux-mint-15-olivia/[/url]

Anyone else do an in-place upgrade and have a problem like this?

Thanks!
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
axe.gs1

Post by axe.gs1 »

I just did the in place upgrade... Note: remember to disable the screensaver and the sleep-timer! I was lucky that my upgrade went as well as it did, considering the PC turned off in the middle of the DistUpdate step! Turned the box back on, switched to a new screen, logged in, killed the screensaver, and continued the update. Whew! I was sure I was going to have to nuke/re-pave.

and BTW, the new version ROCKS! Olivia is Soooo much faster, and looks so much cleaner than Nadia. And I know it was a small-ish thing, but the re-addition of the printer menus from gnome 2 are fantastic. I missed the print settings when I went cinnamon.
Sioux

Post by Sioux »

Followed the same thread to do an in-place upgrade. It went smoothly as well ... but I've some left over cruft that's proving to be problematic to annoying:

* I have no login sound (speaker test works; "Sound Effects" panel does not) ...

* Menu is a mess - had 3 "bluetooth" icons, 3 "sound" icons, 2 "Mint Software Managers", 2 "Backup Tools" etc.

* Removed gnome-control-center brought my "sound" icons down to 2 instead of 3 ...

* Got two conflicting Cinnamon packages - "Cinnamon Control Center" and "System Settings". The former launches the Mint 14 package; the latter Mint 15 ...

* Have a hodge-podge of Mint/Ubuntu branding. For example, my GRUB menu after the upgrade changed to "Ubuntu" like the OP but changed back to "Linux Mint 15" after applying first batch of updates. Launching "System Settings ---> "System Info" gives me the corrupt branding of Linux Mint 15 Olivia with Cinnamon 1.8.8 in bold. But launching "Preferences" ---> "System Info" gave me the Ubuntu branding (solved since removing the aforementioned gnome-control-center ...)

Posted a thread about it about a week or so ago ... and got no replies. Yet a "Bring Back Gnome2" pity party was important enough to devote two pages before the thread-lock. I knew the risks of upgrading via APT and all that. However, the fact that the Mint team frowns on it, disables it by default, and pretty much treats people who upgrade via APT like lepers means it'll be (among some people, it already is) casting a pall over the entire distro. When formatting clean and re-installing is simply not a option, and APT upgrading -- even with the risks involved -- is the path of least resistance, people like me will never learn how to fix a slightly wonky yet stable upgrade because there's a dearth of information from the Linux Mint trenches as opposed to the Slackware or Arch trenches.

Hell, learning that I could safely purge gnome-control-center in Mint 15 was found purely by accident by revisiting the Mint 15 release page. It's a similar experience to the Cinnamon 1.7 to 1.8 update when I booted to a stable Mint 14 with no desktop icons. Found the "solution" on Segfault by accident ... :shock: :evil:
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

@Sioux:

I hear you. I had all of those little annoying problems, and got rid of them either by removing the offending programs, or simply removing them from the menu. Had to load LM15 in VirtualBox so that I could know that I was removing the proper programs.

I know that Mint is based on Ubuntu, but I still feel like I didn't get it all right. The annoyances, however, are a small price to pay for not having to reinstall everything after a full upgrade. Mint really needs an in-place upgrade routine that works.

Thanks for your reply.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon

Return to “Installation & Boot”