Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Unable to install LM 15

Post by Mark Phelps »

Apologize if this is a duplicate thread ... but I tried to post this yesterday, and when I came back today, saw nothing in the section ...

I'm running a PC with Ubuntu 12.10 and instead of installing Ubuntu 13.04, based largely on the rave reviews, I'd like to install Mint 15 32-bit. Problem is, I've tried this several ways and get stuck at different parts of the install process.

I booted from the DVD, saw the countdown screen, saw the screen clear, and then got stuck with a rectangular white rectangle covering about 1/4 of my screen on the upper-left. I left it that way for 10 minutes and nothing changed. I could type and see my entries echoed in the white area, but there as no cursor and no response.

So, I read some instructions here and rebooted,choosing compatibility mode (I have an onboard AMD HD 4290 video chip). That got further and started scrolling though boot messages. But a little after three seconds, it stopped with an ACPI message -- no errors, it just stopped. Like before, 10 minutes later nothing had changed.

I tried a third time, hold down the SHIFT key to eventually edit the boot stanza to add the parms nomodeset and forcevesa, but I never got the GRUB screen at all, just a repeat of the first situation.

I'd really like to use Mint 15, but can't get beyond this.

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Unable to install LM 15

Post by Mark Phelps »

UPDATE: Really folks -- two days! and not a single reply!

kurotsugi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kurotsugi »

let's start with comparing md5sum. the iso you've been using might corrupted.

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Post by TBABill »

I don't think it's being ignored so much as maybe not many experienced it to offer suggestions. It looks nearly identical to a video issues I had installing Win 8, which remains a failure because the nVidia driver from HP was tweaked in Vista and never updated for 8. I can't offer a solution and saying it looks like a video problem is of very little help. I'm still searching Google, but coming up with only answers on how to install the proprietary driver, which is useless if you can't get to a desktop first.

kurotsugi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kurotsugi »

you're not being ignored...none have experienced same problem with yours so that they didn't know how to fix it.

ango
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ango »

It seems to me, that your hadware doesn't support PAE, so you have to install only mint13.

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

ango wrote:It seems to me, that your hadware doesn't support PAE, so you have to install only mint13.
Actually, yes it does support PAE -- as I've been installing the PAE versions of Ubuntu for some time.

But ... thanks for replying, anyway.

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

kurotsugi wrote:let's start with comparing md5sum. the iso you've been using might corrupted.
OK, grant you that ... so how do I do that?

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

kurotsugi wrote:let's start with comparing md5sum. the iso you've been using might corrupted.
OK, got back on the Ubuntu forums, installed the hashcalc app, copied the MD5sum for the ISO I downloaded, ran the app, compared the MD5sum from the download page to the one calculated for the actual download -- they match!

So, there's no corruption in the downloaded ISO file.

BTW, I created both a DVD and a bootable USB stick from that download, tried both -- got the same results for each.

I also downloaded the ISO for Mint14, created a DVD for that -- and got the same results.

herogee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by herogee »

Try passing the arguments 'noapic' and 'noirqpoll' to the kernel when booting.

Also, make sure you have the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. I read a thread yesterday on the ASUS forums - one user couldn't get the live cd to boot until he updated to the latest BIOS version.

Try those arguments first, then see if you need to update your BIOS. Be warned though, updating the BIOS is a risky business if you're not carefully prepared.

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Thanks to all for the suggestions ... but I have achieved some success ... as I am posting this from a browser window running Mint15 from a LiveUSB.

After extensive Googling, was able to find out three very important things:
1) Pressing the TAB key during the countdown time put you in EDIT mode with the GRUB boot line displayed
2) Adding "xforcevesa" boot parm gets not only to a working desktop, but more important, allows Mint to detect and configure the displays properly
3) Without thing 2) above, even using "nomodeset", you get to a low-res desktop, with a prominent warning displayed about using Software Rendering, and improper detection of the displays such that the correct settings can't be configured.

As to BIOS updates, I know every loves to do this ... but I found out the HARD way that doing such updates routinely is not only a bad idea, but comes with considerable risk. I did this a while back with my Gigabyte motherboard and right after the successful flash, was unable to boot properly anymore. Fortunately, I had the sense to back of the previous working BIOS, reflashed with that, and got a working system back. Gigabyte has since "pulled" that flash version and never replaced it. So, with BIOS versions, newer is not always better.

But now that it appears I can install, I will end this thread and start opening new ones with specific concerns.

kurotsugi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kurotsugi »

you don't have to create a new topic for it since it might difficult for us for tracking your problem. since you could boot the livecd it might be good for us to know your hardware configuration. please run 'inxi -Fx' on your terminal and shows us the result.

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

kurotsugi: thanks for your reply ... but at this point, I don't have a problem.

I installed Mint15 to a new drive this morning, and so far, everything is working "out of the box"!

This was a real surprise for me because of my recent experience in Ubuntu:
1) 12.10 took considerable editing of boot parms to be able to get it to boot and have the dual screen video working
2) 13.04 (which I believe is what Mint15 uses) won't even boot.

And yes, while I had problems booting Mint15, I was able to get it to work well enough to experiment with boot parms to finally get the displays working properly.

I'm a big believer in separate threads for separate problems. I'm sure I will run across SOMETHING down the road, and when I do, I will post a new thread.

Return to “Installation & Boot”