Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
HerbSmith
Level 1
Level 1

Installing over Fedora

Post by HerbSmith »

I currently have a desktop with a dual boot of Fedora and WindowsXP. I want to install LM15 over Fedora. My install options are to install beside the two existing, use the whole disk, or something else. I choose Something Else, but then what do I choose for where the boot loader goes? Everything I pick from the menu gives me an error saying that no root file system is defined I know that it has a root file system as it has the GRUB that Fedora installed.
Is there a way to make this happen, or some instructions on how to use the partition tool to get it to use the part that is currently Fedora?

Thanks in advance,

Herb

TBABill
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installing over Fedora

Post by TBABill »

Is one of your choices /dev/sda for grub or what are the choices you are presented with? I think that's where you'd want it. And to pick the partition, just choose the ext4 partition, or whatever you formatted your Fedora installation to. Your swap partition shouldn't need to be changed. Once you put / on your ext4 partition you should be good to go after assigning grub to the HDD.

HerbSmith
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing over Fedora

Post by HerbSmith »

Yes, one of the choices is /dev/sda. It is partitioned into dev/sda1 which is fat16 32MB, dev/sda2 which is ntfs 52MB where WindowsXP resides. dev/sda3 is fat32 2.75 GB which is a Dell Restore thing, dev/sda4 is extended 97GB divided into /dev/sda5 ext4 500MB (which I suspect is the location of GRUB but I'm not sure) and /dev/sda6 which is lvm2 96.5GB which is I believe where Fedora resides.

But no matter what I pick from the pull-down as the location for the boot loader installation, I get the error message that no root file system is defined.

HerbSmith
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installing over Fedora (never mind...)

Post by HerbSmith »

Well, I guess it's "never mind"... I was looking for options and took a look at one of the other install options thinking (incorrectly apparently...) that it would not write anything to the disk until I had a chance to review everything it was going to do. It seems to have written enough to disk that it clobbered my GRUB and thus it won't boot and now thinks that it only has LM installed. So I just jumped into the deep end and installed LM on the entire disk (as it already thought that was the case anyway...) and I lost my WindowsXP side.

I only needed Windoze for one application (Xara) so I'll have to find another way to get that going.

Return to “Installation & Boot”