Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
John Jacob
Level 1
Level 1

LinuxMint installer freezes hard on 2008 Macbook unibody

Post by John Jacob »

Hi,

I have a 2008 [url=http://support.apple.com/kb/SP500]Macbook unibody[/url], 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 6GB RAM, on which I wanted to install Linux Mint. These are the steps I followed:
1. Download linuxmint-15-mate-dvd-64bit.iso
2. Make a bootable USB flash drive using the ISO using hdiutil and dd.
3. Boot from the USB drive
4. Choose boot in compatibility mode (regular mode didn't work and garbled my screen so I had to do a hard power off).
5. Double click the "Install Linux Mint" icon.
6. Shortly into the installation, my Macbook freezes solid. The mouse pointer does not move, no keys respond and I have to do a hard power off.

I tried three times, and I got the same freeze each time. The first time, it happened in the timezone selector screen. The second time, it happened in the language selection screen. The third time, it happened while partitioning my hard disk. While partitioning, the animated busy cursor stopped responding to mouse input. But the animation continued. After some time, the cursor changed back to the normal arrow cursor, but still did not respond to mouse input. At this point, I powered off the machine.

I could use the same USB to install Linux Mint on my other computer, a 2012 Macbook air with 8GB RAM. So I think the issue is with some device driver not working on the 2008 Macbook.

How can I debug this further and fix the issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
- John
John Jacob
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LinuxMint installer freezes hard on 2008 Macbook unibody

Post by John Jacob »

Nobody? Can I raise a bug on this?
jodel
Level 1
Level 1

Re: LinuxMint installer freezes hard on 2008 Macbook unibody

Post by jodel »

The same here. I am on a Macbook Pro 5,3 with NVidia 9400 and 9600 graphics cards and having this issue already when working with the Live CD.

After some time, the mouse pointer freezes. I cannot even kill the X server with ctrl-alt-backspace or get to any of the consoles for debug output, the system just hangs.

ADDITIONAL INFO: The Macbook does not hang! I was in Firefox when booted from Live CD and only the mouse and the keyboard seem to get shut off! Firefox loaded the website, everything was working with the one exception that I could not enter any more command, because mouse and keyboard were no longer responding to input.

I did not yet try to attach an external USB keyboard when this happens, will try that next.

I might add that I start the live cd in 'compatibility mode' for the macbook.

Because of this I now tried installing Mint 15 within Windows utilising Wubi but that won't work either. The systems hangs after the first reboot within the Mint installers last steps which leaves an unusable system.

Is there any way to get logs out of this? I loved using Mint 14 on my PC laptop, now I am back on a macbook and want to continue using Mint for serious business while using Mac OS and Windows for Games :)

Return to “Installation & Boot”