error while dual booting linux mint 14 with windows 8

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tsea

error while dual booting linux mint 14 with windows 8

Post by tsea »

hello friends , i have successfully installed linux mint 14 on my laptop alongwith windows 8(already installed and working). i referred to the article posted here: http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/11/14/dual-boot-mint-13-matecinnamon-and-windows-8-on-uefi-hardware/
and installed GRUB on separate space,i.e not replacing window's MBR. after succefull installation it restarted and boot into windows 8. there, as given in article, i used program EASYBCD and added an entry for GRUB in windows boot menu. i selected grub2 as a type of grub. what other things i did there are, i selected linux mint as my default os, and also gave it first preference by using 'up' key, and shifting mint upper in position than windows 8(actually i don't know what it really does, and also suspect this step for all problems that later appeared).now when i started the system, i first got option to select my os, but both choices were: linux mint 14(cinnamon) and whatever i select, i get following error:
GRUB4DOS 0.4.5b 2011-11-27, Mem:625k/2929M/0M,End:35560D
[Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported for the first word, TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists the possible completions of a device/filename]
grub> _

and then underscore keeps blinking. i don't know where the problem has occured but i suspect either the grub has replaced MBR or the system couldn't find any one of GRUB or MBR. please help me friends. have found a lot of posts on above type of error but all of them have different causes. waiting for your replies. and thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tsea

Re: error while dual booting linux mint 14 with windows 8

Post by tsea »

hello friends, i used boot-repair tool with its 'recommended repair' option. now i can boot into mint 14, find also two entries for windows 8 but soon i click any of them, i again enter same error. i.e i can only boot into mint 14 now. the link for report generated by 'boot-repair' tool is : http://paste2.org/geBZAbvH please help how to boot into both OS as i have few important programs in windows too. thanks in advance for viewing this thread and giving your precious time.
gollum17

Re: error while dual booting linux mint 14 with windows 8

Post by gollum17 »

If you have a live cd/usb you could just try reinstalling it, overwriting the previous lm install in the process, and see if the issue still persists.

Sprint GS3 Running TN's Msg and Chubbs

Return to “Installation & Boot”