Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Firefox will not open on Live DVD -- CLOSED--

Post by Meteor » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:02 pm

I've tried Cinnamon, KDE and Xfce live DVDs for Mint 15 on my Acer 5250 and Asus U56E laptops. The live DVD for each Mint version loads nicely, looks good on this screen. Firefox opens the default Mint screen and does nothing else. If I click on the Mint Forum button, any other Mint choice or choose another site by correctly typing it in, the little spinning wheel spins merrily for ever but never connects to the sites.

I'm running Maya Mate on this laptop (Acer) and have had no trouble connecting to any site on the Internet. Olivia, however, appears to be very fussy or she hasn't been provided with the authority to connect to web -- including Mint's own site.

The DVDs appear to be fine. I haven't been able to try them on other computers to see if Olivia just doesn't like mine. All three downloads were done on different days last week from the Canadian download site at a university in Ontario.

Is this a quirk in my systems (other live DVDs run fine and they're not Mint...)? Is there a situation with the Ontario University site? I'm just curious about the "newer" Mint versions so I can wait until 16 -- forgot her name -- comes on stage but am currently concerned with my systems and Mint.

Is this a quirk with my systems or have others had the same experience?

Meteor
Canada, eh! :)
Last edited by Meteor on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karlchen
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Firefox will not open on Live DVD

Post by karlchen » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Hello, Meteor.
Is there a situation with the Ontario University site?
Does this question permit us to assume that your machine is connected to the Ontario University network when you try out the Mint live system?
If this is the case, then we may safely assume that the Ontario University network will use a proxy server in order to connect to the internet.
Of course the Mint live systems do not know so and therefore try to access the internet directly, which if you are behind a proxy will fail.

Could this be the root cause? If so you will have to find out what the appropriate proxy settings are and configure Firefox accordingly at the beginning of each live session.

Kind regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.1 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Firefox will not open on Live DVD -CLOSED--

Post by Meteor » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:56 pm

Karl:

Thank you for your response. Actually the Ontario university has no direct contact with me as I live a four to five day drive west of the university. I only mentioned it as it is the closest download site to me. I've never even seen the campus though I grew up a couple of hours east of the university's location. I've been in Western Canada now for over thirty years. I only mentioned/questioned it as it is the site that I always have used to download the Mint .iso every six or so months since 2006 when I first started using Linux.

Thank you for asking. I hope that this clarifies the comment I made.

I posted the original question as I was stunned that three different .iso downloads all failed to work. Firefox, which requires my computer to talk to another computer somewhere else in the world and then connect me to where I wanted to go has always connected. It may be slow at times but always made the connection and provided the website I requested. Even from Live DVDs! Until I burned three different Mint 15 DVDs on three different days. This is the first time I've ever had a situation with Mint's Live DVDs.

I guess you could say that it's my DVD burner. However, the three DVDs were burned on two different laptops -- I used six DVDs! -- and got the same result. Everything else I tested on the Live DVDs worked very well. I don't think that it is the DVD (two different brands) itself.

However, I've decided to wait for Mint 16 (forgot her name...) and will try again when she is released. In the meantime Manjaro Xfce is doing surprisingly well on my Asus where this response is being prepared.. (I do look at other .iso's to see what's out there but Mint is my main OS.) I was hoping to have Mint 15 Xfce on this machine but that's no longer a plan...

I guess I'll just close this thread. In October/November, Mint 16 will be tested here and installed on my Acer if she works correctly...

Meteor

karlchen
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Firefox will not open on Live DVD -- CLOSED--

Post by karlchen » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Hello, Meteor.

I understand that my assumption you might be behing the university proxy was based on a misinterpretation on my side. You are not part of the university network. So missing proxy settings will not be the root cause.

Of course it is your decision to close this thread without having solved the issue.

Nonetheless, I dare ask a last question:
You stated that the DVDs were created on different computers. So a defective DVD writer will not be the root cause, either. Agreed. Pretty unlikely. How about the software used for burning?
Personally I have experienced a problem burning ISO images using Brasero. Whatever I tried, bootable DVDs created by Brasero were faulty.
Finally I used a Windows based burning software and the created bootable DVD was all right.
Could this apply to your DVDs to? Have they been burnt by Brasero?

Kind regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 18.1 64-bit Cinnamon Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 64-bit
Ubuntu 18.04.1 32-bit Mate Desktop, Total Commander 9.21a 32-bit
Windows? - 1 window in every room

Meteor
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Firefox will not open on Live DVD -- CLOSED--

Post by Meteor » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:37 pm

Thank you, Karl, for the prompt response.

I'm currently using Xfburn on the Asus for burning DVDs (Xfce is the desktop) and K3b on the Acer (KDE is the desktop). I will try to test the DVDs on another PC/laptop to see if the situation is the same. It may take a few days to do so, however.

Brasero had been used in the past with Nadia and prior Mint girls and I do not recall any "situations" with burning DVDs (or even CDs) in the past.

I think I'll just wait until the Autumn (in North America if you're in another part of the world...) and get back to Mint. I'm So used to how Mint's girls work... :D

Meteor

Return to “Installation & Boot”