Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Lolanerd
Level 1
Level 1

LM15 on SSD and HDD

Post by Lolanerd » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:50 pm

So, basically I have a laptop that came with a 16 gb sandisk ssd along with a 750 gb hard drive. I wanted to know what the best way to install linux mint 15 was so that I can maximize speed, space, etc. I was thinking I should install root on the ssd and home on the hdd, but honestly I'm not that great with partitions and wasn't sure if this would work. Any input would be appreciated.

P.s. I'm using Linux Mint 15 KDE in case that makes a difference.

Distro-Don
Level 3
Level 3

Re: LM15 on SSD and HDD

Post by Distro-Don » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:34 pm

I have a 128GB SSD. I have Linux mint 13 on sda1 (10GB), Linux Mint 14.1 on sda2 (10GB), Linux Mint 15 on sda3 (10GB) and LMDE on sda5 (10MB) the rest of the drive is available for any other versions that I might want to install. I do not have a separate home file because I have a 500GB HDD: sdb1 I call /archives (50 GB) with a sub-menu called Links. Links contains .gftp, ,moneydance, .mozilla, .thunderbird, Documents, Downloads, Mail, Music, Pictures, Projects, Public, Templates, Videos and weight.ods. sdb2 is Linux-swap (5GB) The rest is for backup.

Whenever I install a system, all I have to do is make a symbolic link from all the files in /archive/Links/ to my /home/don folder and I am ready to go. In this way, all of the installations have the same data. This works for me whether I am using Mate, KDE, Cinnamon etc. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I hope this helps.

Return to “Installation & Boot”