synaptec not working on Mint15 Mate

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kd4dii

synaptec not working on Mint15 Mate

Post by kd4dii »

Hi
I just installed Mint 15 mate on my laptop. I have a multiboot system with Mint 14 and Windose on it. I booted to 15 and did the updates. After the updates I ran Synaptec and it came up. I checked the repositories and as I was looking at them, Synaptec shut down. I tried rerunning Synaptec and got the Password prompt. After I enter my password, Synaptec flashes on the screen and shuts down. Also since this happened, the software manager will not run. I did not make any changes in the repos. Am I the only one with this problem?

Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
WharfRat

Re: synaptec not working on Mint15 Mate

Post by WharfRat »

kd4dii,

No explanation for it, but it has happened to several others. Open the terminal an enter one line at a time. If all goes well you can delete /var/lib/apt/lists.old

Code: Select all

sudo -i
apt-get clean
cd /var/lib/apt
mv lists lists.old
mkdir -p lists/partial
apt-get clean
apt-get update
Good luck :wink:
kd4dii

Post by kd4dii »

Hi
Thanks, I will give it a shot. I will post after I try it.
Thanks again
Bob
kd4dii

Post by kd4dii »

Hi
I tried the above and I got "segmentation fault" when I did the apt-get update command. This is the second time I have tried 15 Mate. I had problems with Synaptec the first time I tried it. Guess I should give it a while to get the bugs out. Thanks again for your help.

Bob
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

kd4dii wrote:Hi
I tried the above and I got "segmentation fault" when I did the apt-get update command. This is the second time I have tried 15 Mate. I had problems with Synaptec the first time I tried it. Guess I should give it a while to get the bugs out. Thanks again for your help.

Bob
Could you paste back the exact error :?: This might be a different problem.
rokytnji

Post by rokytnji »

I booted to 15 and did the updates. After the updates I ran Synaptec and it came up. I checked the repositories and as I was looking at them, Synaptec shut down. I tried rerunning Synaptec and got the Password prompt. After I enter my password, Synaptec flashes on the screen and shuts down. Also since this happened, the software manager will not run. I did not make any changes in the repos. Am I the only one with this problem?
Simple fix you can try and no, you are not the only one.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=743703#p743703

certain gtk-3 updates are playing havoc with certain gui themes. If fix does not work. It is simple enough to go back to your original theme if you so wish.
TUXCANFLY

Post by TUXCANFLY »

Thanks. This fix worked for me. Mint 15 MATE, 14 Oct 2013.

Best regards

TUXCANFLY

Return to “Installation & Boot”