Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Simtech68
Level 1
Level 1

Can you create partitions.....

Post by Simtech68 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:26 pm

After you install???? I"m starting to realize in the short time the potential benefits of having a /ext4, / swap, /home partitions. When I loaded up the first time I chose the entire disk, can I change that now or would it be easier to re-install???

To be clear, I just installed Maya a few days ago and just got it up and running, had to do some minor tweeking getting the Nvidia drive set up but other than that no problems. I also don't have anything on this computer either(pics/music/videos/bookmark) so a re-install would not be that big of a deal.

Any info would be appreciated!
Details, details, and more details will help get the answers you seek!!

bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can you create partitions.....

Post by bigj231 » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:36 pm

You can create partitions, but I don't think you can resize active partitions to make room for the new ones. Since you haven't done too much yet, reinstalling might be the easiest (because you'll most likely be booting from the install disc anyway). Make sure to back everything up onto another drive (obviously) before you do anything.

F.Y.I. My standard partition scheme is:
~15-20GB EXT4 for /
same size as RAM for SWAP
the rest formatted EXT4 for /Home

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
And don't forget that the state fair is this week too. :wink:
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz

srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:15 am

bigj231 wrote:You can create partitions, but I don't think you can resize active partitions to make room for the new ones.
True, but note that in this context, "active partitions" means partitions that are currently mounted. If you want to resize, say, a Linux root (/) partition, you can't do it when that Linux installation is running, but you can do it by rebooting to a live CD and using its version of GParted. (Depending on the live CD in question, you might need to unmount the partition.)

hungry70
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hungry70 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:22 am

I suggest that you download Parted Magic to shrink your disk, add new partition, then use symlinks to direct your Documents, Downloads, Pictures... to the new one.
Parted Magic has several goodies like Gparted, Clonezilla... for partition manupulations. I sometimes have problems with it, but it's because of my slow brain and quick hand, so backup (or clone) is a must before partition handling.

Return to “Installation & Boot”