Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Nick Payne
Level 3
Level 3

Cannot get grub menu to show with Shift key

Post by Nick Payne » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:48 pm

Mint 15 amd64 installed on an ASUS P9X79-LE motherboard. I can't get the grub menu to display by holding Shift down towards the end of POST before the OS starts loading - the machine just boots into the default grub choice. The only way I can get the grub menu to display is to comment out GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0 from /etc/default/grub and then run sudo update-grub. However, that means that the menu displays every boot, whereas I only want it to display when I need to boot into Windows.

Shouldn't I be able to get the grub menu to display with the Shift key?

roblm
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Cannot get grub menu to show with Shift key

Post by roblm » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:34 pm

I have better results by holding down the shift key immediately after starting or sometimes by repeatedly tapping the key.
If the system hangs at the initial vendor logo screen when you hold down shift, just release the key briefly then hold it down again,

mdavies5
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mdavies5 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:36 pm

Why not put set timeout=2 in your grub.cfg. This will delay your Linux boot for just 2 seconds. After POST just tap your "down" key to hold the menu and allow you to select Windows if you wish.
Cheers, Mike

Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:53 am

mdavies5 wrote:Why not put set timeout=2 in your grub.cfg. This will delay your Linux boot for just 2 seconds. After POST just tap your "down" key to hold the menu and allow you to select Windows if you wish.
OK for testing, but BAD for a permanent solution -- as the next kernel update will cause GRUB.cfg to be regenerated and wipe out the changes. There are good reasons while the warning to NOT EDIT this file appears in the grub.cfg file.

Return to “Installation & Boot”