Dual boot same version of Mint?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

Dual boot same version of Mint?

Post by edzell »

I'm running Mint 9. It's still working but I've screwed it up in a number of ways too tedious to explain. For possibly oddball reasons I want to install a second pristine instance dual-boot on a separate partition. Each instance would have its own /home. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mhwelsh

Re: Dual boot same version of Mint?

Post by mhwelsh »

No reason why you should not have as many installations as you want each on separate partitions.
To get different /homes use different user names - if your present 'defective' system uses /home/joeblogs then for another installation call the user 'jacksprat' and you will get /home/jacksprat.

When moving things like thunderbird or firefox then in the /home/jacksprat folder rename the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders and replace them (copy and paste) with the .mozilla and .thunderbird folders from the original system. This should give you all the bookmarks and mail etc into the new system.

martin welsh
edzell
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Dual boot same version of Mint?

Post by edzell »

Martin; thanks for the reply and valuable hints. The partition I'll use for the second instance already has Mint 13 on it. I'm going to put 9 on it instead. I intend to install from live DVD, simply selecting "format" when identifying the (already occupied) install partitions. I'll report back here, how it works out - but I'll hold off for a bit in case you or others have further comment/warnings before I do the deed.

Return to “Installation & Boot”