partiton chaos

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
olik

partiton chaos

Post by olik »

Hi there,

I installed mint on a friends Pc. He had windows on it and 3 windows partitons; one with windows (c), one with files (d) and one which I was allowed to format (e) ( I thought he backt every thing up).
I formated the (e) partiton and installed mint on it, so that I had a dual boot system.
Onfortunalty I mast have done a mistake, because mint used the data (d) partiton for swap (about 26 gb!).
So mint propably formated d and changed the filesystem to swap.

How can I undo this?
Is there a datarecovery software that can get the files from the swap partiton or should I change it manualy to ntfs and try datarecovery after that?
What data recovery software should I use?

Thank you for every advice
oli
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
olik

Re: partiton chaos

Post by olik »

anyone? :/
wight

Re: partiton chaos

Post by wight »

there are plenty of recovery tools available but unfortunately I have not found any free/open source tools that can do more than recover files by file type. The commercial data recovery solutions can recover whole directory structures. You might want to try testdisk to see if it can restore the original partition. Just google it and be sure to read the manual. (I played with it for quite a while before I broke down, read the manual and actually accomplished my objective.)

Return to “Installation & Boot”