Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Sahara
Level 1
Level 1

b43 and live cd boot problem (solved!)

Postby Sahara » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:53 pm

Hello
I have the known issue with the b43 Firmware while trying to boot the live cd for the installation of Mint xfce.
The boot process stops with the message:"Error b43-open/ucode5.fw not found....B43-phy0...."
I added the kernel argument b43.blacklist=yes to the boot option but the error keep to apear.
Iḿ using an Acer Aspire Laptop with ubuntu 12.4&windows xp on it (dual boot) and would like to format the hd and install alone Linux Mint.
My first Linux Mint experience is tiering... I´m trying since many hours to solve this problem but my Linux knowlege is not that much...
Doe´s anybody have an idee for a solution?
Thanks
S.
Last edited by Sahara on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

WharfRat
Level 17
Level 17

Re: b43 and live cd boot problem

Postby WharfRat » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:15 pm

Sahara,

I've used this syntax modprobe.blacklist=b43

Give that line a try.
Image Image

Sahara
Level 1
Level 1

Re: b43 and live cd boot problem (solved!)

Postby Sahara » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:39 am

Hi
WharfRat wrote:Sahara,

I've used this syntax modprobe.blacklist=b43

Give that line a try.

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn´t function. Trying to boot the live cd ends up like always with a black screen. I don´t even reach any menu, only the first "Linux Mint" screen with the "blincking green points".
The boot parameter (modprobe.blacklist=b43) I added with Ubuntu, (which still functions on my laptop but without functioning Wlan).
Is there another way which i could try??
:?
EDIT
Problem is solved. That was a newbie Problem, I just didn´t know how to reach the compatibility mode :oops:
(pressing the F1-F6 whlie booting the live cd, booting in this mode solved the problem).

WharfRat
Level 17
Level 17

Re: b43 and live cd boot problem (solved!)

Postby WharfRat » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:03 am

Sahara wrote:Problem is solved. That was a newbie Problem, I just didn´t know how to reach the compatibility mode :oops:
(pressing the F1-F6 whlie booting the live cd, booting in this mode solved the problem).

That was going to be my next suggestion. I installed mint on a few computers and my dell laptop, for unexplained reasons, required compatibility mode.

There's so exorbitant hardware in it, just the 'stock' intel integrated graphics which never exhibited any idiosyncrasies before :?

Glad to hear you got it figured out, enjoy :wink:
Image Image

Return to “Installation & Boot”