Multiboot LiveDVD with EFI

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Deazel

Multiboot LiveDVD with EFI

Post by Deazel »

Hello there.

I've been trying to find a way to make a bootable DVD out of several .isos. In particular, Ubuntu 13.04, Kubuntu 13.04, Linux Mint Cinnamon, and Xubuntu 13.04. I was able to get it to successfully make a BIOs bootable DVD with the four by using Multicd from [url]http://multicd.tuxfamily.org/[/url] but that doesn't have any EFI support, and in my case, that is a must.

I tried messing around with the Ubuntu .isos, seeing how they were built and make my own, but I can't figure out how to place all four .isos in one .iso and can't figure out how to use Grub2 or Syslinux6 to boot the .isos.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
berry.whitetiger

Re: Multiboot LiveDVD with EFI/ISO

Post by berry.whitetiger »

Have you tried using grub-customizer or unetbooting for this task?

The following was made using these tools to boot either a local image or from an ISO file over USB.
1) Install Unetbootin and set images to boot using UUIDs from drives /root node.
>sudo apt-get install unetbootinm

2) to install grub2-customizer to do the work of finding the boot IMAGE from a menu selection.
>> sudo apt-add-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair.
Then update your index & install boot-repair using apt-get update then
>>sudo apt-get install boot-repair

3) An example to boot an ISOs in /home, find the partition where is /home which is expressed as (hd"number_of_drive","number_of_partition") and after do a:

>>sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom # a custom boot script used by GRUB2.

and add for every iso this piece of code:

{ menuentry "Boot Ubuntu 10.10 Live ISO" {
loopback loop (hd0,1)/home/ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/home/ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso file= (loop)/preseed/ubuntu.seed quiet splash --
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}
4) Close the gedit window and revise the boot startup menu. Warning you will not be able to boot your machine if your hosed up your other boot options so don't diddle with the order of things until your sure you know what your doing.
>>sudo update-grub2 #changes the boot menu for /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Some other useful windows boot tools to consider are
UBCD5.1 to fix win7 /XP boot loader chain errors also allows for ISO booting, but not user forgiving.
BARTPE to control image based backups/boots images

a SHORT TUTORIAL WAS FOUND HERE. http://bit.ly/ialWhg
Deazel

Re: Multiboot LiveDVD with EFI/ISO

Post by Deazel »

berry.whitetiger wrote:Have you tried using grub-customizer or unetbooting for this task?

The following was made using these tools to boot either a local image or from an ISO file over USB.
1) Install Unetbootin and set images to boot using UUIDs from drives /root node.
>sudo apt-get install unetbootinm

2) to install grub2-customizer to do the work of finding the boot IMAGE from a menu selection.
>> sudo apt-add-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair.
Then update your index & install boot-repair using apt-get update then
>>sudo apt-get install boot-repair

3) An example to boot an ISOs in /home, find the partition where is /home which is expressed as (hd"number_of_drive","number_of_partition") and after do a:

>>sudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom # a custom boot script used by GRUB2.

and add for every iso this piece of code:

{ menuentry "Boot Ubuntu 10.10 Live ISO" {
loopback loop (hd0,1)/home/ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/home/ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso file= (loop)/preseed/ubuntu.seed quiet splash --
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}
4) Close the gedit window and revise the boot startup menu. Warning you will not be able to boot your machine if your hosed up your other boot options so don't diddle with the order of things until your sure you know what your doing.
>>sudo update-grub2 #changes the boot menu for /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Some other useful windows boot tools to consider are
UBCD5.1 to fix win7 /XP boot loader chain errors also allows for ISO booting, but not user forgiving.
BARTPE to control image based backups/boots images

a SHORT TUTORIAL WAS FOUND HERE. http://bit.ly/ialWhg
Thanks, I'll try that later. The main problem is that I want this on a DVD. I could do it on a USB but unfortunately I can't send that off to 3,000 miles away.

Return to “Installation & Boot”