Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
kyrios
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 15 installed on an USB dongle: optimizing the boot

Post by kyrios »

Hello,

I have installed linux Mint 15 32-bit / MATE on a Sandisk Cruzer Slice USB 2.0 stick (16 Gb), to have my own portable version of Mint.
I have a swap partitiion of 2Gb and and ext4 partition of 14 Gb on which / is mounted (and also Grub of course)

It works quite good, but on some older PC, I have to make several attempts to boot because I get often get a black screen instead of the login screen (note that in such case, I can switch to the other tty consoles, it's slow but it shows that the system started successfully).
What is surprising me is that on the same machine sometimes it shows the login screen (and then there is no problem) and sometimes not. On the recent machines, there is no problem at all.

Also I noticed that the version installed on the USB dongle boots much slower than the live CD installed on a similar dongle. I know it's normal because the boot sequence is not identical, but I wonder if something shouldn't be optimised in the boot sequence or in Grub when the system is installed on a USB stick... Like for instance loading the USB drivers sooner or something... I'm not an expert.

Anyone have suggestions ?

Thanks ! :)
DC80
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint 15 installed on an USB dongle: optimizing the boot

Post by DC80 »

Hi,

It all depends on where you want to use it. Remember that if using a usbport 2.0 that it is slower. Also you say you are using it on older machines. Are you using a 32 bits version? I think this is also slower then 64 bits.

These are they only things i can think of. Sorry.

Kind regards,

DC80
"The future is predeterment by those who shape it"
kyrios
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kyrios »

I opted for Mate because it is nice and it doesn't require GPU acceleration and of course I took 32-bit version.
I think it's a good balance between usability and compatibility.
When I say old machine, I mean something like a pentium 4 with 1Gb of ram and can boot on usb2.

I don't understand why it's so difficult to boot on this machine while it works perfectly fine when i try with the livecd (running on an usb dongle too).

I haven't installed any driver yet -> it's not because the system has to load extra drivers.

Have a great day!

Envoyé depuis mon GT-I9505 en utilisant Tapatalk 4

Return to “Installation & Boot”