Recover data from Drive to which Mint was installed?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
boazkonig
Level 1
Level 1

Recover data from Drive to which Mint was installed?

Post by boazkonig »

Hi

I am a newbie (to linux only). I made the ISO. Then the PC (Pentium 4 1.8GHz, 512MB) booted from the DVD. (Some crash and fallback mode, but I continued to run in this fallback mode).

I had an external USB 1Terra Byte Hard Drive connected, where I stored all my photos, music, etc. before I was going to wipe the C: drive with the Linux Mint install. (I first used windows to copy all the data, before starting up in linux mint, but the drive was still connected)

Well then I chose Applications-> System Tools-> Administration -> Install Linux Mint option (and hanging over it it says something like "....to you hard drive")
Well, of course I assumed that Linux knows what they are doing and that they know what a HARD DRIVE is!!, So, I chose that option, then in the next steps I chose to delete all files on target drive of installation.....an lo an behold Linux Mint went and deleted ALL my PHOTOS, MUSIC etc from my EXTERNAL USB drive!!

What?! now all the pretty linux bin folders and the like sits there where the photos of my kids when they were small must have been! How do I get the photos back?

Please help
Boaz
Last edited by boazkonig on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elbendecido
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Recover data from Drive to which Mint was installed?

Post by elbendecido »

but the drive was still connected)
First mistake, in any installation of an operating system (including Windows), it is advisable to disconnect the external storage units that are not needed.
Well, of course I assumed that Linux knows what they are doing and that they know what a HARD DRIVE is
Second mistake. To date, no operating system has the ability to guess which of the hard drives, the user needs to install the system.
How do I get the photos back?
The first step is to disconnect the disk and NOT USE.
With each you use it, you lose a percentage of your data.
The best, faster and reliable tool is, Testdisk. The guide is [url=http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step]HERE[/url]
From Linux Mint Live-CD you can install & use testdisk program.
Remember to mark the thread as solved. Click to edit the first post. At the top, add the word (solved) to the subject line.
Recuerda marcar el hilo como solucionado. Edita el primer post y agrega la palabra (Solucionado) en la línea del titulo (Subject)

boazkonig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boazkonig »

Thank you!

Is
From Linux Mint Live-CD
the same as " Cinnamon 32-bit 64-bit An edition featuring the Cinnamon desktop" which I made the ISO DVD from or is it another image/distro of Mint?

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

This guy lost his data. Be nice.

This is really a disguised bug report/feature request. In reality, there should be more information displayed about the harddrive before you format it. For example, show a few folder names, and indicate if certain folder exist (c:\windows or c:\winnt), perhaps list the users in c:\users.
Information gathering, processing, and display might have given this user the ability to recognize that he selected the wrong HD.

But yeah, I have removable HD trays for a reason. I don't trust the installers with anything more than Custom Partitioning. My motherboard sometimes re-names the drive orders, when booting from a live cd. Even getting the bootloader on the right harddrive auto-selects the wrong MBR drive. Take my anecdotal evidence to arrive at the conclusion that currently, the installer/partitioner should include many more hover tips, and screens for verifying. I'm not talking talking about a warning box, that says yes/no, I'm talking about, here if a screen of information about the HD you wish to modify. With a bunch of NASA style green buttons indicating save or potentially harmful conditions.

Consider this pre-installation check of a web-app. http://tkdi.ie/Weigh-in/Media/configuration.php-unwritable-joomla-686.png
Last edited by grimdestripador on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elbendecido
Level 4
Level 4

Post by elbendecido »

The one you mention is fine.
Remember to mark the thread as solved. Click to edit the first post. At the top, add the word (solved) to the subject line.
Recuerda marcar el hilo como solucionado. Edita el primer post y agrega la palabra (Solucionado) en la línea del titulo (Subject)

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Also, it seem the terminology Harddrive is at play here. The partitioner really finds 'storage devices' or 'serial storage deives'. Even though it found a HD, the OP through HD ment internal HD. This normally isn't a problem, except his external USB HD came through as /dev/sda (unconfirmed).

Yes, Testdisk and photorec are to difficult programs to use made for experts. When I use them, I always work with a disk image. First I make copy of the HD to a bigger HD where is write a copy of the data as an image file. Then I attempt to recover. Due to the way HDs work and keep a checksum of data, don't leave the HD on, they are designed to move data around willy-nilly. Make a copy as quick as possible, recover from that.

boazkonig
Level 1
Level 1

Post by boazkonig »

Thank you so much for all your quick replies!

With your help, I was able to recover more than 98% of the data. So, this is a good ending.

Thanks again. Tomorrow I will try the real (internal) HD install ;-)

Thanks
Boaz

Return to “Installation & Boot”