Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ephemeral_life
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 15 Unable to Boot After Install [SOLVED]

Post by ephemeral_life »

Hello all,

I'm new to linux and decided I'd like to get started with Mint 64 bit.
I just built a PC (AMD A4 APU) and the liveUSB booted right up. The install while booted using the USB seemed to go flawlessly. I then set the BIOS to boot from my drive (which I was able to mount and check for errors) and it booted into an EFI shell, where I can run rudimentary commands, but it does not appear to have anything to do with grub, and I am unable to get it to boot.

With some research I discovered some information pointing out that GRUB doesn't work with UEFI systems if the drive uses a GPT partition table. I booted back into the USB and used GParted to format the drive for an MSDOS partition table. Upon reinstall and reboot I get the same EFI "Shell>" prompt. I ensured that it was set to use legacy when booting rather than UEFI.

At this point I'm stuck, any help you folks can provide would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by ephemeral_life on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neoveo
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 15 Unable to Boot After Install

Post by Neoveo »

I too ran into problems with Linux Mint 15 KDE 64bit after what appeared to be a successful installation.
I tried to reinstall just in case it was a bad instal but no joy.

I actually multi boot with XP and nine other Linux OS's.

I installed Mint to the partition of my choice but when I rebooted after the BIOS all I got was a black screen with white text "Grub>" but no commands that I could think of did anything.

I ended up having to reinstall one of my other distro's and then using that OS to reach into the Mint partition and grab the necessary information to modify my new working Grub menu.lst

I was going to recommend Mint to my aunt, but given the problems I encountered installing it I think I'll have to recommend another distro for now.
It's one thing to mess up my own computer but I wouldn't want to start mucking up someone else', especially a senior citizen.

Don't get me wrong, I am not giving up on Mint, but the installation simply has to work. I can't imaging being a newbie and having your computer become unbootable after installing Mint.

I was really happy with the live cd version of Mint, heck it even had the correct driver for my printer built right in and it seems to have many things preconfigured just the way I like them.
So I'm really hoping that this was just a hiccup on the way to Mint becoming one of my favourite distros.
Neoveo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Neoveo »

To answer the OPs question, here's what I did to get Linux Mint 15 working on my computer.

1) I installed another Linux distro, in my case PCLinuxOS, to get a working bootable computer with a Grub menu.lst file that I could modify.

2) I added the following lines to the menu.lst file:

Code: Select all

title Linux Mint 15
root  (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-26-generic root=UUID=6d068b06-68b2-468f-a797-449590dd0a82 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff
initrd /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-26-generic
And that's it.

Please not that the (hd0,4) may be different for you, depending on which partition you install Mint to.

If you're wondering where to find this menu.lst file, go to the "Boot" directory, then go to the "Grub" directory.
You'll need root permission to edit the file, but you can simply use "Konqueror - Super User Mode" to do so.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

From the release notes
EFI support
If your system is using secureBoot, turn it off.

If you installed Linux Mint in Virtualbox in EFI mode and it cannot boot post-install, type "exit", choose "Boot Maintenance Manager", "Boot from file" and select EFI/linuxmint/grubx64.efi.

Post-installation, the EFI boot file is located in /boot/efi/EFI/linuxmint/grubx64.efi. If your system is unable to find this file, copy it to /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi (alternatively you can write "fs0:\EFI\linuxmint\grubx64.efi" into a /boot/efi/startup.nsh file).
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
ephemeral_life
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 15 Unable to Boot After Install - EFI Shell

Post by ephemeral_life »

Thanks for the responses everybody.

Neoveo, I think the issue I'm having is different from the one you described. It seems like grub isn't loading at all. I don't even get a grub> prompt. I went ahead and edited the menu.lst file anyway, making sure to use the correct partition number, and it still gives me the same issue.

caf4926, I tried to follow your directions as best I could. My /boot/efi directory is empty. No hidden folders or anything, just an empty directory. I also do not have a grubx64.efi file anywhere on my drive. The only thing I have that's close is a grub.efi file located in /boot/grub/x86_64-efi/grub.efi. I went ahead and tried copying that file and created the directory /boot/efi/boot/bootx64.efi, I still get the same issue.

To shed a little more light on what I get when I try to boot, I get something that says "EFI Shell" and a version number across the top, then it does some sort of device mapping and shows a breakdown of the different storage devices it detects. At the bottom I get a message that says "Press ESC in 5 seconds to skip startup.nsh or press any key to continue". The countdown finishes and I get a Shell> prompt. I get the same prompt if I press ESC or another key. Could this be an issue with the motherboard or the drive perhaps? Do I need to flash a different BIOS to the board? I'd rather avoid that if possible.

Thanks again.
z1p101
Level 1
Level 1

Post by z1p101 »

I was able to do it but it took a few tries and this is what I did. This system is Mint only.

1. Partition the drive the way you want using a GPT partition table and make sure you have efi partition formatted to fat 32.
My drive is
part 1 efi fat 32
part 2 / ext4
part 3 /swap
part 4 /home ext4
2. Turn off secure boot in BIOS and boot the USB. (Important! make sure your USB is booting in uefi mode.)
3. Use installer, choose "something else" and set it so the partitions are mounted as you wish.
4. Reboot and if that doesn't work(and it probably won't), boot from the USB again. (Important! make sure your USB is booting in uefi mode.)
5. [url=http://superuser.com/questions/376470/how-to-reinstall-grub2-efi]Follow these instructions.[/url]
6. Reboot again and hopefully enjoy. :wink:

Like I said it took a while and was frustrating as hell but it is doable.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

z1p101 wrote:I was able to do it but it took a few tries and this is what I did. This system is Mint only.

1. Partition the drive the way you want using a GPT partition table and make sure you have efi partition formatted to fat 32.
My drive is
part 1 efi fat 32
part 2 / ext4
part 3 /swap
part 4 /home ext4
2. Turn off secure boot in BIOS and boot the USB. (Important! make sure your USB is booting in uefi mode.)
3. Use installer, choose "something else" and set it so the partitions are mounted as you wish.
4. Reboot and if that doesn't work(and it probably won't), boot from the USB again. (Important! make sure your USB is booting in uefi mode.)
5. [url=http://superuser.com/questions/376470/how-to-reinstall-grub2-efi]Follow these instructions.[/url]
6. Reboot again and hopefully enjoy. :wink:

Like I said it took a while and was frustrating as hell but it is doable.
That's pretty much word for word what I did on a customers machine last week.
The efi partition is only small, I made it 800MB

But in all honesty. This whole secure boot and efi thing is just crazy. There is no standardization and you are in the Lap of the God's with what might work or not!
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon
ephemeral_life
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 15 Unable to Boot After Install [SOLVED]

Post by ephemeral_life »

FIXED!

Thanks for all your help folks.

After a little more research I discovered that my BIOS didn't recognize the drive at all. I ran a repair on the disk in Gparted and then reinstalled it by manually selecting each partition on the drive like z1p101 suggested, and bada bing bada boom I am now booted fully into LM15.
musaddiqmanaas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by musaddiqmanaas »

ephemeral_life wrote:FIXED!

Thanks for all your help folks.

After a little more research I discovered that my BIOS didn't recognize the drive at all. I ran a repair on the disk in Gparted and then reinstalled it by manually selecting each partition on the drive like z1p101 suggested, and bada bing bada boom I am now booted fully into LM15.

I got same problem, i.e. installed LM15 from DVD, all went well about installation but does not boot after successfull installation. I can't understand how to repair the disk in Gparted and do the further process, can anyone please explain it for me..? thank you all..
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

musaddiqmanaas wrote: I got same problem, i.e. installed LM15 from DVD, all went well about installation but does not boot after successfull installation. I can't understand how to repair the disk in Gparted and do the further process, can anyone please explain it for me..? thank you all..
Installed on what? Tell us about the machine
Boot the install DVD again, open Gparted and take a screenshot of your HD and post it here
Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon

Return to “Installation & Boot”