Linux Mint 15 Boot problem

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kukamuumuka

Re: Linux Mint 15 Boot problem

Post by kukamuumuka »

Milos CG wrote:Whait,whait,I need to edit grub text in grub menu by removing nomodeset and adding rw single and do it again in grub file when system boot,or I need to edit text in grub menu by deleting nomodeset and adding i915.modeset=1 or i915.modeset=0? Please step by step 'cause I do not understand english very well. Thank you! :)
Actually when you can get the desktop, you can edit /etc/default/grub file adding the right stanzas. You can find out your video card using a command lspci | grep VGA

Xorg -configure is needed only then when you cannot get to the desktop, so I suppose that you do need to do that .. :wink:
Milos CG

Post by Milos CG »

Okey,this is my video card:
screen.png
I have Intel Graphic Card,so,what I need to type instead quiet splash? When I type /etc/default/grub it shows me error: bash: /etc/default/grub: Permission denied.But,I can open file by typing:

Code: Select all

sudo -i

[[ ! -z "$(which gedit)" ]] && gedit  /etc/default/grub || pluma  /etc/default/grub
So,what am I supossed to do?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Milos CG wrote:Okey,this is my video card:
screen.png
I have Intel Graphic Card,so,what I need to type instead quiet splash? When I type /etc/default/grub it shows me error: bash: /etc/default/grub: Permission denied.But,I can open file by typing:

sudo -i

[[ ! -z "$(which gedit)" ]] && gedit  /etc/default/grub || pluma  /etc/default/grub
So,what am I supossed to do?
Run command

sudo -i

.. add i915.modeset=0

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="i915.modeset=0"
.. save and run

update-grub
exit
Milos CG

Post by Milos CG »

Problem again! :(

i915.modeset=0 = Bad graphics!

i915.modeset=1 = Black boot screen!

What to do?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Milos CG wrote:Problem again! :(

i915.modeset=0 = Bad graphics!

i915.modeset=1 = Black boot screen!

What to do?
You could try to make a /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

1. Press Ctrl Alt F2 on the login screen
2. Login to the command line
3. Run command sudo killall Xorg
4. Run commands sudo Xorg -configure
sudo cp /home/user/xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
sudo reboot
Last edited by kukamuumuka on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milos CG

Post by Milos CG »

How do I get involved choice of kernel in booting? So,whan I turn PC,to show me dialing kernel,every time than I turn computer?

Return to “Installation & Boot”