Failure Booting After Installation

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
solarwind
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Failure Booting After Installation

Postby solarwind » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:24 pm

So I installed this awesome distribution and right after booting, I was presented with the boot splash, but with a progress bar that would never stop moving. Eventually, it dropped me to a shell. I mounted and discovered that my devices were actually being named sdx instead of hdx. However, GRUB was booting the kernel with root=/dev/hdb2 instead of /dev/sdb2. That's why it didn't boot. Anyway, it was easy enough to fix since I have a lot of Linux experience, however, this might frustrate new users to NO END and this is a pretty hard problem to fix if you are new to Linux.

1. Anyone have an idea why this was happening? Oh, and my root partition is a jfs filesystem if that has anything to do with it.
2. My suggestion is: Use UUIDs instead of device names to boot. I'm pretty sure that that will fix the problem.

I switched to Linux Mint after hearing how awesome a distro it is and I must agree. It takes everything I love about all other distros and puts it all together. I love it. I love it more than my own family.

But as I said, if I gave it to my Windows-using friend to install on his machine and he had this problem, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to solve it by phone/IM since instructing a noob how to use a terminal is next to impossible. That's why I think that this problem should be fixed by using UUIDs like Ubuntu (I think Ubuntu uses UUIDs to boot anyway, not 100% sure, but I never had this problem when I installed Ubuntu).

newio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:17 am

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby newio » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:09 am

yeah, im a noob but i won't be giving up Mint..

sooooo..... how bout a howto on how to fix the problem so that even us noobies can do something about it...

Husse
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 19593
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby Husse » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:29 am

One thing is sure UUID brings more trouble and solves only a few - mainly consistent naming of external disks that are not connected all the time - apart from that it's a good recipe for trouble
With Gutsy (I think perhaps earlier) there's a new hard disk driver that treats all disks as SATA (My memory fails me - I can't remember the name) so disks are called sdx
hdx should work I think
This is a part of something odd with either grub or Ubiquity (the installer) in Elyssa/Hardy
I see a few reports of inconsistency in this area
I have to alert the team, but I fear this is too much upstream for us to be able to make a fix
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

solarwind
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby solarwind » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:30 am

newio wrote:yeah, im a noob but i won't be giving up Mint..

sooooo..... how bout a howto on how to fix the problem so that even us noobies can do something about it...


You have the same problem or are you just being sarcastic?

newio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:17 am

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby newio » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:09 am

no... i definatly have the same problem... drops me to a initramfs shell. if i reboot the machine like 5 times, it'll eventually boot.. but doing that is starting to wear thin...

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14555

solarwind
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby solarwind » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:48 pm

newio wrote:no... i definatly have the same problem... drops me to a initramfs shell. if i reboot the machine like 5 times, it'll eventually boot.. but doing that is starting to wear thin...

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=14555


Ok, show me the file /boot/grub/menu.lst

Now type "ls /dev/hd*" and post the output.
Type "ls /dev/sd*" and post the output as well.

I'll try to help as best I can.

newio
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:17 am

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby newio » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:37 am

cheers solar!

my config is posted int the other thread..

Here's the other stuff your after

menu.lst

Code: Select all

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-15-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic (recovery mode)
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-15-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro single
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro single
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel memtest86+
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/memtest86+.bin
boot

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title           Other operating systems:
root


# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sdc1
title           Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader)
root            (hd2,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map             (hd0) (hd2)
map             (hd2) (hd0)
chainloader     +1


Code: Select all

mint@mint-02:~$ ls /dev/hd*
ls: /dev/hd*: No such file or directory


Code: Select all

ls /dev/sd*
/dev/sda  /dev/sda1  /dev/sdb  /dev/sdb1  /dev/sdb2  /dev/sdc  /dev/sdc1


sda1 = Ntfs WIndows Vista Parition
sdb1 = Ext3 Mint
sdb2 = Swap
sdc1 = Ntfs data partition

Husse
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 19593
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby Husse » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:28 am

I'm working on a solution to this grub thing - not there yet but soon
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

solarwind
Level 1
Level 1
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:37 pm

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby solarwind » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:47 am

newio wrote:cheers solar!

my config is posted int the other thread..

Here's the other stuff your after

menu.lst

Code: Select all

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-15-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic (recovery mode)
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-15-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro single
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic (recovery mode)
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro single
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
boot

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel memtest86+
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/memtest86+.bin
boot

### END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST

# This is a divider, added to separate the menu items below from the Debian
# ones.
title           Other operating systems:
root


# This entry automatically added by the Debian installer for a non-linux OS
# on /dev/sdc1
title           Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader)
root            (hd2,0)
savedefault
makeactive
map             (hd0) (hd2)
map             (hd2) (hd0)
chainloader     +1


Code: Select all

mint@mint-02:~$ ls /dev/hd*
ls: /dev/hd*: No such file or directory


Code: Select all

ls /dev/sd*
/dev/sda  /dev/sda1  /dev/sdb  /dev/sdb1  /dev/sdb2  /dev/sdc  /dev/sdc1


sda1 = Ntfs WIndows Vista Parition
sdb1 = Ext3 Mint
sdb2 = Swap
sdc1 = Ntfs data partition


Ok, now in your /boot/grub/menu.lst, add this at the end:

Code: Select all

title           Linux Mint 4.0 KDE CE, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic VERBOSE
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-15-generic root=/dev/sdb1 ro single vga=775
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic
boot


Now reboot. If it works, reboot until it doesn't work and tell me the last few lines of what it said before it drops you to a shell or whatever.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23
Posts: 19593
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:22 am
Location: Near Borås Sweden

Re: Failure Booting After Installation

Postby Husse » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:49 am

There is a topic in the wiki now that I hope helps
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... annot_boot
Image
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it


Return to “Installation & Boot”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NickH301 and 5 guests