Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
gattofix
Level 1
Level 1

Cannot boot Mint 13

Postby gattofix » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:56 pm

I'm having a strange problem.

I used to install Mint 13 from DVD, and it always worked, the computer hardware is the same, but neither the Mint DVD nor the USB Stick install work.

I get shown the installation menu, choose "Linux Mint", then the DVD (or dhe USB stick) keep reading for some time, then, at some point, no more reading, just a grey screen with a blinking cursor.

The DVD is older, I burned the image at least a year ago. The image I used for the USB stick, on the other hand, I downloaded just now, checked the MD5 sum, the stick is in FAT32, it should simply work.

I can boot other CDs: Rescatux, Paragon Recovery CD, Windows 8. They all work. Just the Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 64 bit version stops launching at some point.

I have an external USB hard drive, as well, and unplugged it because I thought it might confuse the installer - no change.

Any ideas...?

By the way, currently I am having Windows 8 and Linux Mint 13 Mate 64 bit installed, but I get error messages when booting, so I thought I should reinstall it from scratch. Having said that, if I don't solve this problem, I might have to revert to Ubuntu 12.04 and try if that boots successfully... But I want to stick to Mint!

Frank

administrollaattori
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Cannot boot Mint 13

Postby administrollaattori » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:23 pm

blinking cursor. ...

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=105627

Workaround for LMDE 201012 32-bit users:

If you downloaded LMDE 201012 32-bit and all you're getting is a black screen, you might just be a kernel argument away from a successful boot. The solution is to download 201101, but you can save 1GB of download and a new DVD by using the following arguments:

* For ATI chipsets: radeon.modeset=0
* For nVidia chipsets: xforcevesa or nomodeset
* For GeForce and Generic: nouveau.modeset=0
* For Intel: i915.modeset=0

This should give you a live session in low resolution. Since the embedded kernel is already up-to-date, you don't need to configure anything post-installation and your system should then boot in high resolution.

gattofix
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Cannot boot Mint 13

Postby gattofix » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:53 pm

I did the following:

I booted the live CD, pressed Tab for additional options, with xforcevesa and nouveau.modeset=0 no change.

The screen gets bright grey and the CD-ROM / USB-Stick (same behaviour) stop working after a few seconds. So the screen is not black, but grey.

When I tried "nomodeset", I actually got for the first time a message before the installation freezes:

(initranfs) mount: mounting /dev/loop 0 on //filesystem.sqaushfs failed: Invalid argument
Can not mount /dev/loop 0 (/cdrom/casper/filesystem.squashfs) on //filesystem.squashfs

Any ideas?

It is really crazy, for the first time in years I am not able to install Linux Mint! The mainboard is the same as it used to be when I installed Linux Mint last successfully. Only the CPU has changed. I had to do a Bios Upgrade half a year ago, but I guess that is not related, is it? And by contrast, the Ubuntu 12.04 installation works. But I'd like to have Mint back, as Cinnamon causes problems on top of Ubuntu, I find.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Frank

Return to “Installation & Boot”