Dual boot Win8 & Mint15

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Dual boot Win8 & Mint15

Post by srs5694 »

piovrauz wrote:Back to rEFIND, this means it's your first case, "An error message indicating that CSM support is unavailable", exactly what I get.
And since booting in CSM Legacy mode is not desirable because of windows 8, there's the need of a bootloader that can check external media (and internal too) for OS that don't have an efi loader too.
If rEFInd checks the FW for that, right now the users of this notebook will be sad... I sure hope I'm wrong! :P
Boot loaders are limited by the environments in which they run; if the computer is EFI-only (no CSM, either because it's not available at all or because it's been disabled), then an EFI boot loader won't be able to support BIOS-mode booting. There is one theoretical sliver of a possible workaround: The boot loader could include its own CSM. That would be a huge amount of work to implement, though, and it's looking backwards for the benefit of a handful of EFIs with a built-in limitation. Thus, I wouldn't expect to see this type of solution appear in the future. Certainly I have no plan to implement it in rEFInd.

Think of it like this: The boot environment (BIOS, EFI, or other types of firmware) is like an OS, and a boot loader is like a program written for that OS. Running a BIOS-mode boot loader on EFI is like running a Windows (or DOS or OS X or BeOS) program on Linux: It's possible only if you've got a translation layer -- CSM for BIOS-on-EFI, WINE for Windows-on-Linux, etc.
diddy1234 wrote:Does anyone know if the next iso image will allow booting from EFI ?
The main Mint version has long supported EFI-mode booting; however, the LMDE variant's installation medium has lacked the necessary EFI boot loader files because they've been missing from Debian until recently. I'm not sure if LMDE has been updated since Debian added the EFI support. If you're using the regular Mint (Mint 15, etc.), then it should already work in EFI mode. If it doesn't work for you, I recommend starting a new thread in which you clearly describe the problem you're having. (Trying to cover too many problems in one thread quickly becomes confusing.)

FWIW, I recently added a new page to my main Web site that's intended to provide generic tips for those wanting to install Linux in EFI mode:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/linux-uefi/index.html

It doesn't go too far into the little details that can cause problems in some cases, but it covers many of the major pitfalls and the procedures that can help you to make your installation go smoothly.
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

Hi piovfauz,
Understand compatibility mode comment. Was just testing all available options to see what happens.

Sticking with DVD's for the moment. UEFI mode, secure boot disabled.
1. Confirmed 32bit DVD's won't boot.
2. Confirmed 64bit DVD's are fine.

But,

1. Mint15 64bit DVD boots to grub2.00. Great!
2. Manjaro Linux, which is also a 64bit distro boots directly to a desktop bypassing the grub 2.00 menu. It must be UEFI enabled otherwise it would'nt boot. Expecting a similar grub menu.
3. LXLE and PearOS7 are both 64bit and they boot directly to Windows8. So would that mean they don't support UEFI and react like 32bit distros.
piovrauz wrote:@srs5694
I think this notebook FW boot mode options (UEFI and CSM Legacy) are mutually exclusive.
Selecting CMS Legacy means disabling UEFI, since it's a choice between the two in a selection (and it also disables the Secure boots entries in another tab too).
While in UEFI mode, you can enable or disable Secure boot, but that's it.
Confirmed with my Acer notebook!

As an aside, let me go down another road. After my first attempt to install Mint and rebooted, Windows diplayed it's own bootloader with Win8 and Linux displayed in large blue icons. Selecting Win8 worked fine obviously, but selecting Mint returned no operating system (I forget the wording).

For the sake of clarity, it may be less confusing to try to get linux working from this menu as it appears to be a native win app, rather than trying other work arounds. MS have been most gracious to provide a dual boot window, even if it doesn't work as presented, so would it be more logical to use this as a starting point. Particularly now that it has been established which linux OS's boot and which don't.

For me and with all due respect to respondents, some of the replies, whilst enhancing my knowledge, open up more questions than answers and it's most confusing. By the time I figure out how to implement a reply, (where files are, how to edit if necessary etc.) I've lost the plot. Just a thought! Anyway, still battling on! :)
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

Take2!

Installed Mint 15 to a brand new usb stick using unetbootin. The stick was already formatted fat32. Installation was fine and the balance of the stick used for persistence. Boots fine in my old computer.

Booted into a grub screen on the new Acer laptop, selected “start linux mint” and 50 seconds later
was at the Mint desktop. Perfect! Changed the desktop to my preferences and installed several programs via the software manager. No problem. BTW, gparted was already installed and worked from the menu, whereas on the Mint 15 installed to my HDD, it does not.

The main noticable difference is that running from this stick, Mint is very fast and snappy and pleasure to use. Much faster than using from the hdd install!!!

However, hangs on shutdown. Reboot worked fine, except no persistence. Changes I made had disappeared, as well as all the newly installed programs.

Tried other usb sticks with other 64bit OS's and none would boot. Conclusion:- Mint and maybe Ubuntu are the only distro's with a workaround for EFI computers. Everytime, just one problem is solved than another one is introduced by the solution to the first. A real chicken and egg scenario.

Even win8 is now slow. Clicking the shutdown icon takes ages, like 30 seconds just to display the shut down menu and then 2 minutes to completely close. I feel that all this testing has probably damaged both installs by attempting to do things I have no idea about. Need a breather!

My options are to install a larger hdd in my old computer and continue to use that or perhaps try Android on this machine. It works perfectly on my old computer. I need a machine to do productive work, not a test bed to learn the nuts and bolts of dual booting. Sounds negative I know, but I've literally spent weeks on this and feeling pretty low at the moment. Still smiling though! :) :)
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

nobugs wrote:Manjaro Linux, which is also a 64bit distro boots directly to a desktop bypassing the grub 2.00 menu. It must be UEFI enabled otherwise it would'nt boot. Expecting a similar grub menu.
I have no experience with Manjaro specifically; however, it's based on Arch, and the Arch developers have been using gummiboot rather than GRUB as a boot manager for EFI for the past several releases. The installer may well use a 0-second timeout to boot straight into the default entry, which would presumably be the installation medium.
LXLE and PearOS7 are both 64bit and they boot directly to Windows8. So would that mean they don't support UEFI and react like 32bit distros.
That or their EFI support is set up in a way that doesn't work on your particular computer. I've seen this sort of thing in the past, especially if people create USB boot media using third-party tools like unetbootin -- such tools often work fine for distributions A and B, but fail with distributions C and D, especially when C and D are unusual distributions.
As an aside, let me go down another road. After my first attempt to install Mint and rebooted, Windows diplayed it's own bootloader with Win8 and Linux displayed in large blue icons. Selecting Win8 worked fine obviously, but selecting Mint returned no operating system (I forget the wording).

For the sake of clarity, it may be less confusing to try to get linux working from this menu as it appears to be a native win app, rather than trying other work arounds. MS have been most gracious to provide a dual boot window, even if it doesn't work as presented, so would it be more logical to use this as a starting point. Particularly now that it has been established which linux OS's boot and which don't.
First, understand the difference between boot loaders and boot managers (please forgive me if you already know this; but a lot of people don't):
  • Boot managers give the user the ability to select between one boot loader and another. Often, the boot loaders are given OS names for the sake of simplicity. Boot managers are basically user-interface tools, with a menu or prompt of some sort.
  • Boot loaders load an OS kernel into memory and start it running. They may also load associated files (such as a Linux initial RAM disk) and pass options to the kernel. They often have no user interface elements, although sometimes they enable users to set boot options. They can be tied to booting a single OS kernel (like ELILO) or be able to boot multiple OSes (like GRUB).
Some programs, such as GRUB, combine both functions in one program. Others, such as rEFIt, rEFInd, and gummiboot, are boot managers exclusively. The kernel's built-in EFI stub loader, ELILO, and (on EFI) SYSLINUX are boot loaders only, although ELILO and SYSLINUX can both present a menu of Linux kernels. In almost all cases, boot managers and boot loaders are not Windows, Linux, OS X, or other OS-level applications; they're firmware-level (EFI, BIOS, etc.) applications. Although they may be associated with one OS or another, it's important to remember that they operate on a pre-OS level. I don't know the details of Microsoft's EFI boot loader's capabilities. It's definitely a boot loader for Windows, and it may be a boot manager; but if it is a boot manager, I don't know how to configure it. I've never heard the claim that the Windows boot loader can load a Linux kernel directly, so if it can present a menu with a Linux option in it, the Windows boot loader is functioning as a boot manager, and some other boot loader must handle loading the Linux kernel. This is a critical detail that people often misunderstand: Whatever presents an OS-selection menu is the boot manager. It may or may not also be a boot loader, and in most cross-OS environments, at least one additional program must function as the boot loader. This method of operation creates additional opportunities for things to not work, especially if you're creating an unusual setup and you don't understand all the pieces that it requires.

All of this comes to a point: Unless you have access to somebody who's very knowledgeable about the Microsoft boot loader/manager, I strongly recommend against relying on it to handle a Linux/Windows dual-boot configuration. The reason is that I haven't seen reliable advice about handling it in Linux forums. Some people advise using EasyBCD for the job, but I have yet to see a single report from somebody who's gotten that to work on an EFI-based system. EasyBCD can help control the Windows boot manager on BIOS-based system, but its EFI support seems to be limited to nonexistent.

Linux users' knowledge of GRUB, rEFInd, and gummiboot, OTOH, is extensive, albeit not widespread. Many forum posters are still laboring under BIOS assumptions that don't apply to EFI, but some people (myself included) do understand EFI-mode booting of Linux using "Linux" boot managers. (They aren't really Linux programs, of course; they're EFI programs. They're designed with Linux in mind, though, and they ship with at least some Linux distributions.) Thus, if you stick with these programs as your primary boot managers, you'll be able to get help here. (The Arch forums also have several people who have a good understanding of these issues.) If you try to use the Microsoft boot loader/manager as your primary boot manager, though, you're likely to get little or no useful help on this or any other Linux forum. Certainly I can't help you there; but as rEFInd's maintainer, I can give you the best help available for rEFInd.
Tried other usb sticks with other 64bit OS's and none would boot. Conclusion:- Mint and maybe Ubuntu are the only distro's with a workaround for EFI computers.
Installing to a USB flash drive is an iffy proposition; there are subtle differences between that and using a hard disk that can create problems.

If you're talking about using unetbootin or the like to create a bootable installation medium, it can get tricky, as I noted earlier. In most cases, you should use "dd" to create the bootable installation disk.

In my experience, Fedora is the Linux distribution with the best EFI support, by a fairly wide margin. OpenSUSE and Ubuntu both trail Fedora by a significant margin, and Mint trails Ubuntu. Until recently, Debian had no official EFI support, and I don't know enough about its current status to comment. Support is variable in more obscure distributions (Arch, ALT, etc.).
My options are to install a larger hdd in my old computer and continue to use that or perhaps try Android on this machine. It works perfectly on my old computer. I need a machine to do productive work, not a test bed to learn the nuts and bolts of dual booting. Sounds negative I know, but I've literally spent weeks on this and feeling pretty low at the moment. Still smiling though!
You might want to consider using a virtual machine (VirtualBox, etc.) rather than a dual-boot configuration. That's almost certain to be easier to set up and get working than a dual-boot, and you won't be risking your primary OS every time you want to try something new. One caveat: VirtualBox seems to forget the boot loader entries created by efibootmgr, so you must understand how to set up your boot loader to launch using the fallback filename of EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi. I don't know if other tools, like VMware, suffer from the same problem.
piovrauz

Post by piovrauz »

@srs5694
Just to say it: the Windows boot loader can act as a boot manager and lauch a bootloader that lauchs linux, but it's a series of ugly hacks, reason being how windows loads.
I know EasyBCD is used for that, but personally I think using rEFInd as a boot manager is a way better option, or at least easier than setting grub in some cases, since it's picky.
On usb key: writing a key in raw mode doesn't always works (boot) on this notebook; extracting files to it works in those cases.
Being this dependant on the actual HW and the distro itself, I'd say it can be a show stopper compared to old BIOS HW that just booted whatever you threw at them.

@nobugs
I think most you your misadventures are caused by the the fact that every UEFI implementation has it quirks (for example our 571 has UEFI and CMS as mutually exclusive).
Also, what srs5694 says about FW, bootmanagers, bootloades, and OS is really important, because if you don't understand how stuff works you're in for an hard time.
And sure Secure boot made it even more messy. In reality stuff is "simple" if you know it, but the first time nobody does. :P
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

Hi srs5694 and piovfauz,

All good information and really helpful. Thank you both. You've given me some hope and reassurance again, just as I was feeling it's all too hard. Been sailing along happily ignorant of my lack of knowledge and this EFI stuff has thrown me somewhat. Need to pause and digest all the info in your postings and re-assess, as it's really a case of baby steps, with a bit of trial and error thrown in. Slowly getting there.

This is where I'm at.

Using rEFInd can boot both OS's. No external devices. EFI on, secure boot disabled.
Boot order changed to have refind before windows boot manager. 1=usb, 2=dvd, 3=refind, 4=win.
This way, no need to press F12 to get to grub and refind has professional looking boot screen.

USB stick or DVD boot media. Power on, straight into grub menu with linuxmint as first option. Boots either media.

Problem left to solve. The usb was created using unetbootin, also tried startup disk creator using Mint9. Both worked, but neither had persistence despite being created with a persistence file. BTW, Mint13 also booted, but again no persistence. BTW, the usb stick is snappier than the hdd install and Mint13 is quicker than Mint15.

Looks like for the time being that Ubuntu and Mint on the debian side are probably the only distros capable of handling EFI enabled machines at least on this computer. Pity really, as this seems to eliminate virtually every other linux distro unless run in legacy mode. I have hundreds of distros burnt to dvd's and used for testing and they are all really useless now on a current machine, except the very latest versions.

Now if I can just figure out why persistence is not working, will be pretty happy. The reason I'd like to get usb sticks working is that I support with the best of my limited knowledge, a number of ppl who after much persuasion have abandoned win and gone to the dark side. However, several use linux from usb sticks and for various reasons did not want to install to hdd. They run Mint9 and 10 in the main, as the other versions were a bit troublesome. I run Mint9 on my old machine and it has been 100% stable. The best!

And while I'm on a roll, what is wrong with the computer manufacturers. My local stores have probably 100 or more computers on display at any given time and not one has linux installed. The sales people don't even know what it is. Something very wrong here! Can't the manufacturers produce a machine that's devoid of this EFI rubbish and distribute a linux friendly machine.

I offered to install linux on one machine at my local store in a prominent position on the premise that customers who tried it first up would want to buy that machine over 8, but my offer was declined. Just today, another friend pestered me to put linux on his computer, but I backed out given the dramas with 8 and the booting troubles. Until the developers come to grips with EFI and sb, I think linux machines will languish again and sit on the peripheral of mainstream OS's.
Cheers!

Lastly, for piovfauz, my computer won't retain the touchpad off setting (Fn+F7). The pad is enabled again on next boot. This and the brightness control seem to be the only malfunctions so far.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 »

piovrauz wrote:On usb key: writing a key in raw mode doesn't always works (boot) on this notebook; extracting files to it works in those cases.
Being this dependant on the actual HW and the distro itself, I'd say it can be a show stopper compared to old BIOS HW that just booted whatever you threw at them.
In terms of bootable media for installing Linux, most distributions are trying to create one medium to handle several different use cases, some of which are close to being incompatible with each other:
  • Both CD-R/DVD and USB flash drives
  • Both PCs and Macs
  • Both BIOS-mode and EFI-mode boots
These incompatibilities are worked around by employing clever hacks of one type or another. For instance, optical media use 2048-byte sectors, whereas USB flash drives use 512-byte sectors. This fact gives opportunities for ugly hackish workarounds about where data reside so that the same image can look like an ISO-9660 filesystem on a CD-R but a disk partition table on a USB flash drive. If you know a bit about the underlying data structures and look at one of those disk images, you'll quickly start wondering what sort of weird data corrruption created what you're seeing -- but the fact is that it's intentional. The CD-R vs. USB flash drive issue creates particularly weird Frankenstein's-monster type data structures.

Note that each of those items multiplies the number of possible combinations by two, so the last one (BIOS and EFI support) increases the number of cases from 4 to 8. That's a massive increase in the number of possibilities, and it's really no surprise that things are breaking down, especially when you consider that EFIs vary so much in many details of how they treat certain types of devices. Thus, although I advised earlier to use "dd" to create bootable USB flash drives, if you were to design your own distribution for EFI systems only it would make sense to create a USB flash drive that's built expressly for EFI-mode booting from that disk -- there's just one case, and less chance that the EFI will get confused by what it finds. In fact, that's what unetbootin tries to do. The trouble with this approach in practice is that general-purpose tools need to have the "smarts" to recognize that they're working on Distribution X, and to set things up in a way that Distribution X wants. For instance, a distribution might look for a boot medium with a particular filesystem name, and if the utility doesn't create the filesystem with the right name, the disk won't work.

Personally, I'd rather see distributions create multiple boot media, each of which could be set up to work on a narrower range of use conditions. For instance, different media for USB flash drives vs. CD-R/DVDs. That would help with some of the firmware-specific issues, albeit at the expense that people would have to actually read and understand that image X is for use on USB flash drives and not for use on DVDs. I don't know the logic behind creating just one boot medium, but I think they've pushed it as far as it can go (and maybe a bit further), since there are cases of flakiness resulting from it.
nobugs wrote:Using rEFInd can boot both OS's. No external devices. EFI on, secure boot disabled.
If you mean that rEFInd can boot your OSes from the internal hard disk but rEFInd can't boot external devices, I have a few comments:
  • rEFInd sometimes fails to detect external devices because they aren't ready by the time rEFInd starts up. Hitting the Esc key will cause such devices to appear in the menu, so you can try that. If this works and you want rEFInd to detect such devices more automatically, you can use the "scan_delay" option in refind.conf; see the description in that file's comments or the [url=http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/configfile.html]rEFInd documentation[/url] for details.
  • On UEFI-based PCs, rEFInd scans for EFI boot loaders only. If a boot medium lacks such a boot loader, rEFInd won't show it. You can have rEFInd scan for BIOS-based boot loaders by adjusting the "scanfor" option -- again, see the configuration file comments or rEFInd documentation for details. Given earlier comments in this thread, though, I doubt if this is your problem.
  • If you've messed with the "scanfor" item in refind.conf, check it to be sure that it includes the scans for external and/or optical devices (or comment out "scanfor", which returns it to its default).
  • If your firmware is being thrown off by issues like the weird partition tables on the hybrid disk images used for Linux installers (as described earlier), rEFInd won't be able to detect the boot loaders. Creating a custom boot medium should help overcome this problem, but doing this right is likely to take a lot of distribution-specific expertise.
nobugs wrote:BTW, the usb stick is snappier than the hdd install and Mint13 is quicker than Mint15.
Just a guess here, but it could be that the USB flash drive is copying its entire contents to a RAM disk and running from that, whereas the hard disk installation would leave binaries on the hard disk. If this is the case, the USB flash drive would be slower to boot but would execute faster once booted.
nobugs wrote:Looks like for the time being that Ubuntu and Mint on the debian side are probably the only distros capable of handling EFI enabled machines at least on this computer.
I don't have your computer, but I'm confident that you're wrong about this. I've installed all the major Linux distributions using EFI, so I know that EFI support in general is there. The fact that you're having problems probably indicates machine-specific quirks, but it's very likely that there's a way around such quirks. I don't happen to know what these methods might be, and unfortunately, this is the sort of thing that has to be fixed hands-on -- walking you through it on a forum is very inefficient at best.
piovrauz

Post by piovrauz »

@srs5694
1. Yes, I'm aware that having to work with combinations of DVD, USB, bios, uefi, makes for a messy situation. You rationalized it, but for one that finds it first hand it's still a mess.
And don't forget to add Secureboot to the mix, to make things worse (different approaches like shim or "signed" binaries).

2. I think they should build multiple boot media too, in the past they used to do it, but later they went down the "hybrid image" road.
I hate how now every image takes different "ways" to make it work (boot) on usb, even from the same distro (remember the differecies I found for mint 13/14/15?).
We need USB images, it's not like ultrabooks have a DVD right?

3 .I see you often tell ppl to use dd: ppl coming from windows may be better using Win32DiskImager, which does raw writes just as dd does, but runs on windows and has a GUI.

@srs5694 & nobugs
I got the fedora 19 DVD image, made an USB key of it (this time with Win32DiskImager), and it boots fine with the FW in UEFI mode, even if Secureboot is enabled (well, I knew Fedora had signed binaries so no wonder).
So it's not just ubuntu based distro that work on the 571.

@nobugs
1. Fedora has the backlight issue too, and also the camera image needs to be flipped, as in mint 13. I think it's something that will be fixed eventually, the netbook is recent after all.

2. It's not "piovfauz", but "piovrauz"...
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

Hi piovrauz,
Thanks for the comprehensive reply and the many worthwhile comments and instructions. You really know your stuff and I much appreciate your patient assistance. Apologies for the name misspelling, but it's the weight of tiredness and frustration (and eyesight :lol: ). When u get a chance could you check the touchpad to see if it holds over reboots. Would like to know if it's a quirk of the machine or a sofware bug in mint. Other than that and the backlight issue, the Acer is a nice machine, don't you think!
Kind regards,
piovrauz

Post by piovrauz »

@nobugs:
I'll see what I can do about the backlight and the touchpad.
I have a couple of ideas in mind, I'll let you know.
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

Thanks piovrauz,

Have you seen this link. Might work!

http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-linux-tips/automatically-disable-touchpad-when-mouse-is-connected-ubuntu/

Also, when you played around with Mint15, did you get a chance to look at the inbuilt ufw firewall. In mine, it is disabled and won't allow Unlock.
All the menu options are greyed out.

Additionally, the unlock button and a couple of icons to the left, as well as the donate button and beside the unlock button, have a red circle intersected by a diagonal. A few of my other programs also display these icons instead of the proper boxes. They work but just don't display correctly. Let me know if anything pops into your head. Onward! :)
piovrauz

Post by piovrauz »

@nobugs
Backlight fix. Tested on mint 13.

1. Open a terminal.
2. Type sudo nano /etc/defaults/grub
3. Edit GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" so it becames GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
4. Save and exit.
5. sudo update-grub
6. Reboot.

-EDITED- (made it simpler)

IF it doesn't work:
3a. Edit GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" so it becames GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux".
(sadly, the big visual indicatin will disappear)

IF it doesn't work, take 2:
3b. Edit GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" so it becames GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi="!Windows 2012"".

What does this mean? Well, the back light issue is caused by a change in the Acer FW acpi related to windows 8, so the linux kernel needs to be told about it with a commandline option, or patched to understand it.
There are some patches in the kernel [url=http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/drm-intel-nightly/current/]here[/url], but it still needs fixes. So I suppose it's going to be working out of the box, in the future.

- Will check that applet, it may be an easier solution than my idea, as long it works in MATE or there's something similar. Same as the backlights, there are patches in the works.
- About the icons: I don't think it's a 571 issue. Did you customize your theme? If you click those, what happens?
Last edited by piovrauz on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

Hi piovrauz,

Result:-
me@me-Aspire-E1-571 ~ $ Type sudo nano /etc/defaults/grub
No command 'Type' found, did you mean:
Command 'pype' from package 'pype' (universe)
Type: command not found

Found the file here by a search for grub and edited as per your info.
/usr/share/grub/default
Result: No change.
But
This msg when updating grub:-
me@me-Aspire-E1-571 ~ $ sudo update-grub
[sudo] password for me:
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.8.0-19-generic
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-19-generic
No volume groups found
Adding boot menu entry for EFI firmware configuration
done

Upon rebooting now, this sequence. Power on->rEFInd menu->Select Mint->Grub boot menu with Mint15->Pages of text->Desktop.
Upon shut down:-Pages of text to screen.

Change is:- grub menu has been added between rEFInd and Desktop and text to screen on boot and shut down that was not visible before.
Additionally, the fade in/out Mint logo no longer appears (probably replaced by the text displaying boot up parameters).

Looks like Update-grub has made a change to the sequencing. BTW, at the added grub menu, Mint is the first option and does not require manual selection. It times itself, about 2 secs and then continues on to the text and then the desktop.

The theme clue you mentioned was spot on. Changed back to default, came forward and icons are behaving again. Thanks for that!

Firewall is still locked though. Clicking the unlock button produces a message at the bottom of the dialogue window "wrong identification". :?
Cheers!
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

Solved Gparted not opening from the menu in Mint15. Needs gksudo before command option. Also applies to the ufw firewall. Both now run from the menu.
Cheers!
piovrauz

Post by piovrauz »

1. With "Type" I didn't mean a command, I meant that you had to write "sudo nano /etc/defaults/grub". XD

2. Those messages are normal, you are updating grub.cfg with the updated /etc/defaults/grub content. Editing it you can set grub menu timeout, hide it, and so on.

3. Oh, right, you are using rEFInd, I forgot. :P
Since you are seeing the text output, I think you are booting the kernel with no "quiet splash" in it. If so, you probably don't have "acpi_backlight=vendor" too (the fix).
I'm using only grub (as bootmanager and bootloader), so I can't help you with this situation. But I'm pretty sure srs5694 can help you ironing out what's booting.
piovrauz

Post by piovrauz »

I tested the fixes with mint 15 (live media, editing the grub at boot time, hehe):

acpi_backlight=vendor does nothing (it works on mint 13)
acpi_osi=Linux appears to be working (you lose the big icon indicator onscreen, but it does set the backlight as desired).
acpi_osi="!Windows 2012" does nothing. (I think it requires a more recent kernel)

BTW: every time you boot in mint, the brightness is set back to 100%. To fix that just got to the power management and set the desired startup value with the slider (you can also finetune some related stuff)
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

piovrauz wrote:1. With "Type" I didn't mean a command, I meant that you had to write "sudo nano /etc/defaults/grub"
Of course, my bad. Stupid mistakes when tiredness overcomes and you can't see the wood for the trees. :oops:
None of the variations to the grub worked. It's not a big issue as I can just use the keyboard controls to turn it off. It's just annoying!
piovrauz wrote:2. Those messages are normal, you are updating grub.cfg with the updated /etc/defaults/grub content. Editing it you can set grub menu timeout, hide it, and so on.

Text and the intermediate grub were not displayed prior to updating grub. Only a Mint logo was seen gradually increasing in brightness and then into mint.
So there must be a setting in grub to hide this screen output, to display the Mint logo as before or a blank screen as per prior versions.
srs5694, could you throw any light (no pun intended) on this change.
Tks!
piovrauz

Post by piovrauz »

Yes, I know you weren't getting the text before running sudo update-grub. and there was the nice mint logo fading.
The quiet switch suppresses the text, the splash switch shows the mint logo. They are parameters the bootloader (grub) passes to the kernel.
Since you have rEFInd installed, and I don't, I can't say what is getting loaded and which parameters are passed to the kernel.
I'm sure there is one (grub.cfg file / entry) that has the quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor stuff, since it's what update-grub was for; I'm pretty sure you just aren't booting the "right" one.
Since srs5694 knows rEFInd way better than any of us, I'm confident he can track down the issue faster than us.
EDIT:
I just tried booting the netbook with a rEFInd USB Key: it gives me 2 options, mint 13 and windows 8; if I boot mint 13 it doesn't show the boot menu (it is using grub obv, but it' respects my setting).
The brightness works. mmm
nobugs

Post by nobugs »

Here's my grub file located at /usr/share/grub/default. Can you see anything odd? If not, maybe there is another grub file contained in the rEFInd side of things, although a search does not reveal one, at least one named grub. BTW, did the brightness work for you in Mint13 without any of your tweaks.

If srs5694 can chime in, he may be able to throw some light on it. (apologies if he has already given advice on this in prior posts, which may not have been fully understood at the time, by me that is).

I'll try to boot from the rEFInd DVD and see what I get. Not now though. I'm going to bed.

File:-
# If you change this file, run 'update-grub' afterwards to update
# /boot/grub/grub.cfg.
# For full documentation of the options in this file, see:
# info -f grub -n 'Simple configuration'

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor" #these 3 are your suggestions I tried without success.
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"
#GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi="!Windows 2012""
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

# Uncomment to enable BadRAM filtering, modify to suit your needs
# This works with Linux (no patch required) and with any kernel that obtains
# the memory map information from GRUB (GNU Mach, kernel of FreeBSD ...)
#GRUB_BADRAM="0x01234567,0xfefefefe,0x89abcdef,0xefefefef"

# Uncomment to disable graphical terminal (grub-pc only)
#GRUB_TERMINAL=console

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
# note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
# you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
#GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

# Uncomment if you don't want GRUB to pass "root=UUID=xxx" parameter to Linux
#GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

# Uncomment to disable generation of recovery mode menu entries
#GRUB_DISABLE_RECOVERY="true"

# Uncomment to get a beep at grub start
#GRUB_INIT_TUNE="480 440 1"
piovrauz

Post by piovrauz »

Mmm, I updated the fix list since it was a bit messy.
From the commented lines I see you indeed used the older one.
Sorry, try again with the new "version"; still, with your file, it should use the bootsplash. Strange.

Return to “Installation & Boot”