Installing Elyssa over Ubuntu 8.04

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installing Elyssa over Ubuntu 8.04

Post by 67GTA »

There is no way to upgrade/update from Ubuntu to Mint. Mint is not Ubuntu, it is only based on it. The home partition should be okay. Just install Mint and tell it to mount your home partition as /home, and not format it.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

The majority of the personal edits you've made to your apps are stored in your /home folder. They should use what is already there if you keep your home folder.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Philonimbus wrote:So the installation process will not overwrite the settings in my home folder.
I'll just back themup for safety.
As long as you have separate /home partition and you choose not to format it during the install everything should be fine
Husse

Post by Husse »

Not quite - back up the hidden folders with names beginning in gc and gno in /home and then delete the original
This should give you a nice clean desktop etc
I can't guarantee that all settings for programs in home are the same in Mint and Ubuntu but the majority should have the same
Of course you have to set the path to the existing FF and TB profiles, but that's about all....
msuggs

Post by msuggs »

Husse wrote:Not quite - back up the hidden folders with names beginning in gc and gno in /home and then delete the original
I like to back up my staples like .mozilla, .evolution and .xchat 2 as well :) Custom fonts and themes in their respective hidden directories don't go astray either.

Return to “Installation & Boot”