Post Mint 15 Vista install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nebuloniq

Post Mint 15 Vista install

Post by nebuloniq »

I have an Acer Aspire 3200 desktop and have installed Linux Mint Olivia on it (as a fresh complete install) with drive encryption. Is it now possible to install Vista as a dual boot alongside? (I need Vista to run specific software or I wouldn't even entertain the idea) Or do I need to delete Mint and start fresh with Vista and then install mint second?
I think I know the answer but am always hopeful (I understand Wine would allow me to run windows apps but these are quite memory/graphics hungry apps and could cause the system to run too slow).

Thanks in advance
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rokytnji

Re: Post Mint 15 Vista install

Post by rokytnji »

nebuloniq wrote:I have an Acer Aspire 3200 desktop and have installed Linux Mint Olivia on it (as a fresh complete install) with drive encryption. Is it now possible to install Vista as a dual boot alongside? (I need Vista to run specific software or I wouldn't even entertain the idea) Or do I need to delete Mint and start fresh with Vista and then install mint second?
I think I know the answer but am always hopeful (I understand Wine would allow me to run windows apps but these are quite memory/graphics hungry apps and could cause the system to run too slow).

Thanks in advance
You can do either. If Installing Vista 2nd

http://www.noobslab.com/2012/10/installrecover-grub-from-linux-live-cd.html

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/245

Because Windows Bootloader will wipe out Mint grub2 bootloader on the install of Vista. That is why usually users install Windows XP,Vista,7 first. Then the Linux of their
choice 2nd. Linux bootloaders are friendly and brotherly. Windows bootloaders are not. By the way. You only need to reinstall grub2. No need for nothing else.

Return to “Installation & Boot”