Migrate to a New Laptop, Taking The Old System With Me?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Xian Renegade
Level 1
Level 1

Migrate to a New Laptop, Taking The Old System With Me?

Post by Xian Renegade »

I am running Mint 15 MATE 64-bit on a Dell laptop with several partitions on the hard drive. One partition is being used as backyp of the entire home folder. Of this "data partition" only 12.4GB is being used, leaving 95GB free.

When I get a new laptop in a few months' time, how do I transfer my current installation information? Let me explain: I want to transfer my entire Home folder, which should be straightforward. However, I have lots of other software apps installed and I would like to install on my new system but transfer configuration files so that I have the very same setup done on the new machine.

Should I somehow create an ISO image of my existing system and write that to a DVD? How do I then install this on the new system? Or is there something else I should be doing?

I spent much time refining my system, installed needed apps to get everything to work, utilities, etc.

How do I reinstall even if I have a list of installed apps? Said list was made with $sudo dpkg-query -Wf '${Installed-Size}\t${Package}\n' | sort -n which I found at http://www.unixmen.com/list-your-ubuntu-...-packages/

RichardH
Level 3
Level 3

Re: MIGRATE TO A NEW LAPTOP, TAKING THE OLD SYSTEM WITH ME?

Post by RichardH »

fsarchiver will do what you wish: http://www.fsarchiver.org/Main_Page
There does exist a GUI version. http://sourceforge.net/projects/qt4-fsarchiver/

I've actually only ever used the console or CLI version.
It will do everything you wish.
But you'll need to practice a bit to understand,
while you are waiting.

Xian Renegade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xian Renegade »

Thanks a million! Yes, practice I will :)

passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Post by passerby »

If the new laptop has 2 HDD slots, you could put the old HDD in the other slot and use gparted or similar software to copy the partitions over.
If it doesn't, the same can be achieved via an external HDD dock.
There are other methods, but that's about as "clean" as it gets.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots

Xian Renegade
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Xian Renegade »

I happen to have an old 40GB Western Digital notebook HDD which will come in very handy here. It will be done via external USB connection as the cables and enclosures are dirt cheap. I have ordered already but the local supplier is out of stock. I completely forgot about that little drive until now. With the same external drive, I can just transfer to the new laptop.

(The new machine will have 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM SATA II 3GB/s HDD and 16GB DDR1600, as well as Shark Bay i7 Quad 2.4GHz and Geforce GT750M with 2GB DDR3. It has a HD webcam and comes with HSPA, BT4, etc. The idea is to configure a machine with way too much spec now and use it for very long. My former HP Compaq NX9010 laster for 11 years despite at least two very hard falls, one of which was a 3 meter drop! It still worked but USB ports and audio ports became erratic even before the two falls happened. The WD 40GB HDD is still working perfectly, ecept for about 980MB that got damaged in the last fall 3 years ago. If its graphics adapter could keep up with Linux, I still would have used it today. None of the latest distros can run on it, not even Lubuntu. Win XP SP3 does but who needs Windoze?

This will only happen in 2014, though. My interim little Dell is working rather well despite its rather skimpy hardware configuration. I am really surprised to find that it never lags, but I managed to crash Mint in the wee hours of this morning when I had three browsers open, did ClamAV scan, synced data, synced my phone and also listened to music on Clementine - with 2GB memory and only an i3 1.4Ghz to drive it all.
)

Return to “Installation & Boot”