Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
joesplace
Level 2
Level 2

Need help on UEFI Install

Post by joesplace » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:37 pm

ok, I'm attempting the LM 15 install in UEFI mode. I did everthing I thought was correct in a manual partition but stopped at the message:

Go Back To The Menu And Correct This Problem
The partition table format in use on your disks normally requires you to ceate a seterate partition for boot loader code. This partition should be marked for use as a "Reserved BIOS Boot Area" and should be at least 1 MB in size. Note this is not the same as the partition mounted on /boot.
If you do not go back to the partitioning menu and correct this error, boot loader installation may fail later although it may still be possible to install the boot loader to a partition.

Then there is a "Go Back" or "Continue" button . . .

On my partition table there are the following entries:
/dev/sda
/dev/sda1 fat32 type 104MB
/dev/sda2 ? type 134 MB
/dev/sda3 ntfs type 514415 MB
/dev/sda4 ext4 type mount point / 485549 MB

I created the ext4 partition as a Logical type then got the error on install. I can't find this error in any post or article so I stopped. Should I just continue or is this asking me to create something else?

Knuckl3head
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Need help on UEFI Install

Post by Knuckl3head » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:09 am

Restart your computer, and on the UEFI screen, spam every function key until you get the UEFI/BIOS setup screen. At this point, go to the boot menu using the arrow keys, select the boot mode, and select the "Legacy BIOS" option. This will disable the UEFI and make it easier to install Linux Mint. However, you also need to disable the secre boot in order to allow Linux Mint to install, but make sure you reenable it afterwards to help ward off potential virusses.

joesplace
Level 2
Level 2

Post by joesplace » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:46 am

Knuckl3head - it's already set to UEFI with Legacy OPROM and Secure Boot is off. If I disable UEFI then Windows 8 will have problems. Are you saying disable UEFI to install LM then enable UEFI again?

Knuckl3head
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Knuckl3head » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:53 am

If you want the /boot partition, reduce the size of the ntfs and ext4 systems to free up 1024 mb of space the move the partitions to the end of the drive. Then create a fat32 partition at the beggining and give it the /boot mount point.

srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:32 pm

The "Reserved BIOS Boot Area" referred to in the error message is more properly referred to as a [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BIOS_Boot_partition]BIOS Boot Partition.[/url] This is a partition that holds part of GRUB 2, and as the name implies, it's used when booting in BIOS (aka CSM, aka legacy) mode. The fact that the installer was asking for this partition to be present means that the installer was running in BIOS/CSM/legacy mode, not in EFI/UEFI mode.

Unfortunately, getting a Mint installer booted in the mode you want (EFI/UEFI vs. BIOS/CSM/legacy) is not always easy. Different computers use different rules to determine the boot mode of a CD/DVD or of a USB flash drive, and many rely on idiosyncratic firmware settings to determine the boot mode. Thus, Computer A might boot a medium in BIOS/CSM/legacy mode whereas another will boot the same medium in EFI/UEFI mode. You can try fiddling with your firmware settings to adjust the boot mode. For one thing, contrary to what many sites recommend, you might consider completely disabling BIOS/CSM/legacy support to force a boot in EFI/UEFI mode. (This can cause problems if you've got some types of EFI-related incompatibilities or if you use a video card without EFI support, though.) You may also be able to find the firmware's built-in boot manager, which may offer two options to boot your medium: One will contain the string "EFI" or "UEFI" and the other won't. Select the boot option with the "EFI" or "UEFI" string to force the boot in that mode.

See [url=http://www.rodsbooks.com/linux-uefi/]this page of mine[/url] for more tips on installing in EFI/UEFI mode. The page is not Mint-specific, but it provides a bunch of tips for how to prepare to an EFI/UEFI installation and how to carry one out.

srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:40 pm

Knuckl3head wrote:If you want the /boot partition, reduce the size of the ntfs and ext4 systems to free up 1024 mb of space the move the partitions to the end of the drive. Then create a fat32 partition at the beggining and give it the /boot mount point.
I believe you're conflating different partitions:
  • The Linux /boot partition -- This partition holds the Linux kernel and related files, often including some boot loader files. It's normally 100-500MiB in size and uses a Linux filesystem (ext2/3/4fs, ReiserFS, JFS, XFS, or Btrfs). It's possible to use FAT32 for the /boot partition, but the Mint installer won't permit this, and in some distributions, using FAT32 on /boot will block kernel upgrades. (I don't recall if Mint is one of the offending distributions on this score.)
  • The [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EFI_System_partition]EFI System Partition (ESP)[/url] -- This partition holds EFI boot loaders. It uses FAT32 and can be just about any size, but 100-300MiB is common. (I recommend 550MiB for reasons that would be a distraction here.) In Mint, it's usually mounted at /boot/efi.
It's possible to mount the ESP at /boot, making the ESP and the /boot partition the same thing; but as Mint forbids use of a FAT32 /boot at installation time, this requires post-installation file juggling, and is not recommended for Mint. Note that the location of both of these partitions on the disk is irrelevant, although it's common to put the ESP near the start of the disk.

Knuckl3head
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Knuckl3head » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:33 pm

I just tried this on a UEFI computer. It needs a filesystem that will support embedding of iles. For this I used the Reiser filesystem.

srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Post by srs5694 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:23 am

Knuckl3head wrote:I just tried this on a UEFI computer. It needs a filesystem that will support embedding of iles. For this I used the Reiser filesystem.
Please identify your referents. I have no idea what you mean by "this" or "it."

Return to “Installation & Boot”