seeking: how to update the install ISO packages

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

seeking: how to update the install ISO packages

Post by SaintDanBert »

I download the latest (for now that is Mint-15, Cinnamon) ISO and complete a fresh install.
Next, I must run UpdateManager to bring all of my packages "current" since the ISO was made.

1. Can someone tell me how I might create a fresh ISO that includes all of the modified patches
so that the next install is "current?" I'd also like to add persistence to the fresh ISO while I'm tinkering, but I can chase that separately.

2. Is there some way to create an install ISO based on "...the core system and all the packages that are currently installed on THIS workstation..." or similar ?

I'm installing to several similar but not identical laptops. The "not identical" part means that I cannot simply use CloneZilla or similar to replicate the files systems from a master onto the copies. While there might be a way to proceed along these lines, I'll chase that rabbit some other time.

The "fresh current ISO" has the benefit of being a failsafe (backup) system and application image as of the time it gets made. As a live-boot, it would be wonderful during data recovery in addition to its value during workstation replication.

Thanks in advance,
~~~ 0;-Dan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kukamuumuka

Re: seeking: how to update the install ISO packages

Post by kukamuumuka »

The easy way -> use Remastersys
http://www.remastersys.com/
The less easy way ... nevermind .. :lol:
gold_finger

Re: seeking: how to update the install ISO packages

Post by gold_finger »

As administrollaattori said, remastersys is good program for that. Original developer abandoned it back in April, but it was picked up by others. If you can't get it installed from info on above remastersys link, go here.

[url]http://sourceforge.net/projects/os4systemimage/files/Remastersys%203.0.4-2/[/url]

You will need to download two files.
remastersys_3.0.4-2_all.deb
Then one of these for the 64 or 32-bit gui:
remastersys-gui_3.0.4-1_amd64.deb
remastersys-gui_3.0.4-1_i386.deb

To install, right-click on first file and "Open With 'GDebi Package Installer'". Then do the same for the gui file and Remastersys will show-up in menu ready to use; probably under Administration or System depending on which Mint flavor your on. The way I've used it (for the same purpose as you) was to choose the "Backup" option once I made all of the changes/updates/etc that I wanted. If I remember right, it will also include docs, videos, etc. -- so best to make backup iso before you add those things to system if you don't want them repeated on the other installs. (I could be wrong about that, but seem to think that's what it did.)

Side Note: Another poster here was having problems getting remastersys to work in Mint 15. If your attempt works out, maybe you could inform the poster of that topic and others reading that it worked for you. Knowing that might help people trying to solve his/her problem. Thanks. Here's the other post: [url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=150156[/url]

P.s. As far as adding persistence to the iso goes, I don't think you can do that. But, if you use the iso on a bootable USB and add a persistence file to the usb that might work. I've never tried that with remastersys produced iso's, but don't see why that wouldn't work. The things saved to the persistence file will not be included in any installations done with the USB, but I don't think you were meaning that anyway.

Return to “Installation & Boot”