Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

What is CAJA - desktop

Post by wpshooter » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:20 pm

I created a bootable USB drive version of Mint 16RC.

Sometimes (but not always) when I boot to the USB key, I get 10 to 15 instances of windows names CAJA - DESKTOP.

What is this ?

Thanks.

grizzler
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What is CAJA - desktop

Post by grizzler » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:37 pm

An annoying bug: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=206&t=148282

wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wpshooter » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:13 pm

grizzler wrote:An annoying bug: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=206&t=148282
If I install Mint 16 to my hard drive and then apply all of the available updates, will this problem be fixed ?

Thanks.

grizzler
Level 5
Level 5

Post by grizzler » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:21 pm

The github thread (see the link in the thread I mentioned) suggests it won't at present.

wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wpshooter » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:54 am

grizzler wrote:The github thread (see the link in the thread I mentioned) suggests it won't at present.
Does anyone have any idea as to when this is going to be fixed.

It would be quite embarrassing to recommend this OS to a friend and then have to try to explain to them why these 10 windows keep popping up on the desktop.

Thanks.

NuxNubkins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NuxNubkins » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:37 am

wpshooter wrote:
grizzler wrote:The github thread (see the link in the thread I mentioned) suggests it won't at present.

It would be quite embarrassing to recommend this OS to a friend and then have to try to explain to them why these 10 windows keep popping up on the desktop.

Thanks.
You can always point them to Olivia and say that Petra is still in testing. I highly enjoy LM 15 KDE.

wpshooter
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wpshooter » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:32 am

NuxNubkins wrote:
wpshooter wrote:

Thanks.
You can always point them to Olivia and say that Petra is still in testing. I highly enjoy LM 15 KDE.
My understanding is that version 15 will be losing support just very shortly, why would I recommend an OS to someone that would have to be replaced within a matter of a very short time ?

Thanks.

NuxNubkins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NuxNubkins » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:18 am

It ends in January. However, Petra is still in a Release Candidate state, so I'd prefer recommending 15, and be sure to mention that in-place upgrades are very possible through Linux Mint. It's not like Windows where you need an entirely new disk to upgrade. Synaptic (APT) handles everything. Alternatively, you could recommend LM 13, which is the current LTS release, supported through 2017.

olle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by olle » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:37 am

My suggestion is to run always the LTS release ( at the moment Maya 13 LTS).
It is the most stable, and gets updated regurlarly. Ie. I am now running kernel 3.8, as well as new versions of different programs.

To satisfy my curiosity I am running the newest release Petra 16 RC in a dual boot arrangement (actually triple boot, there is unused Win 7 as well on the HD). This way I do not endanger my "production release".

And then: always run a backup on everything ...

Return to “Installation & Boot”