Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rxinfx
Level 1
Level 1

Extra spaces in grub.cfg file

Post by rxinfx »

This would appear to be a simple fix. . .but after hours of searching. . .it's not so simple for me! :?
I've edited the grub.cfg file to allow the graphics to load correctly. . .I was getting the 1/4 and 1/2 display until I found the correct modeset. . .this works fine now.

However, upon boot/reboot, I have to edit the start menu if I want to get a full screen by DELETING two spaces from the quiet splash modeset=0 string.

Example:

Code: Select all

...ro   "quiet splash i915 modeset=0"
will still give me a 1/4 size screen picture. BUT, if at startup/restart, I enter the menu (via ESC) and edit this same string by just removing two blank spaces. . .the screen will load correctly!

The extra spaces are in between "ro" and "quiet" I find that if I delete these, the desktop loads just fine!

... ro      "quiet splash i915 modeset=0"
So I find that I cannot edit (delete) these 2 spaces. . .I tried in the grub.cfg file with no luck. I searched in the forums with no luck. So I ask the question with hopes that my luck changes. . .how do I edit/delete these 2 spaces so I can boot up without having to go to the menu everytime?

With regards to the modeset. . .I have switched from 0 to 1 and found that 0 works best. Anything else will give me a black/blank screen (no image) or a 1/4 screen with which I can see the desktop image.

Here's what I have:

System:  Inspiron-1100 Kernel: 3.11.0-12-generic i686 (32 bit, gcc: 4.8.1) 
Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 16 Petra
Machine:   System: Dell product: Inspiron 1100
Mobo: Dell model: 09U782 Bios: Dell version: A32 date: 10/18/2004
CPU: Single core Intel Celeron CPU (-UP-) cache: 128 KB flags: (sse sse2) bmips: 3987.07 clocked at 1993.539 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: Intel 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device bus-ID: 00:02.0 
           X.Org: 1.14.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: N/A GLX Version: N/A Direct Rendering: N/A
Audio: Card: Intel 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: c800 cc40 bus-ID: 00:1f.5
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.11.0-12-generic
Network:   Card: Broadcom BCM4401 100Base-T driver: b44 ver: 2.0 bus-ID: 02:01.0
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 30.0GB (13.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: FUJITSU_MHS2030A size: 30.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 27G used: 3.9G (16%) fs: ext4 ID: swap-1 size: 1.06GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info:      Processes: 140 Uptime: 2:07 Memory: 345.4/994.2MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.1 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by xenopeek on Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Use Code tags to preserve spaces and tabs; your mutliple spaces examples were all being displayed as one space (which is how HTML works, it ignores consecutive spaces).
NuxNubkins
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Extra spaces in grub.cfg file

Post by NuxNubkins »

I actually downloaded a grub configuration package for KDE, but I'm fairly certain one exists for Gnome, and thus Cinnamon. The package was kde-config-grub2. It allowed me to resize the boot splash.
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

I use to remove grub2 and install legacy grub ... so everything works without worries .. :wink:
rxinfx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rxinfx »

UPDATE - problem solved!

I had previously installed Cinnamon. . .but wiped it during installation of MATE. With Cinnamon, I couldn't mod the grub file enough to get it to work either. . .once the desktop appeared, I would get a "Cinnamon crashed. . .do you want to restart" message. If "yes", the desktop would flicker and the same message reappeared. If "no", the desktop remained at the correct res (1024x768). At this point, I tried to find a fix via terminal. . .no go! So I installed MATE after a forum member's similar issues related this OS version was more stable for the graphics card. . .and he was right! :mrgreen: Until I found I couldn't COMPLETELY mod the grub file to eliminate the "quiet splash" issue and have the correct res load at startup.

(SHIFT GEARS) - I installed (dual boot) Linux Lite. . .again (explanation reserved for another day) :wink: My intent was to crossover from Windows to Lite and get to know this OS before going on to other versions. I already had it installed but because the VLC player was not working well, a local friend suggested I try out Cinnamon instead (refer to first para).

So, after re-installing Lite, i went through the whole ordeal to find a suitable mode for the desktop to appear at the correct res. This time I found out I could not even open grub.cfg. . .tried sudo and gksudo with no luck (am I missing something here?)

Back to the forums and internet searches. . .found out from the Ubuntu website that Boot Repair would be my ticket to success! Downloaded it, installed and ran it. . .SUCCESS. . .on Linux MATE. . .but not on Lite!

(SHIFT BACK) In other words, I was looking to get Lite fixed, but in the process of repairing the originally intended target, MATE got repaired too. . .to my happy surprise! :D I checked the boot load string at start-up and sure enough. . .the extra spaces I previously mentioned after "ro" were eliminated. With that change, Mint MATE loads correctly without my intervention anymore! And VLC works great too!

So, with a 100% success on MATE, I now turn to Lite and try other suggestions to get it working. Any ideas for the grub file? I'll look up VLC issues in this forum but if anyone knows of a post referring to updating codecs and/or playback fixes, please share.

administrollaattori - in response to your last post. . .just guessing here. . .I assumed MATE had/has the legacy grub, which (maybe) explains why I had better results with the graphics versus Cinnamon. Dunno. . .just typing out my thoughts. :?

Thanks for the replies - looking forward to continued comm.
kukamuumuka
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kukamuumuka »

rxinfx wrote:UPDATE - problem solved!

administrollaattori - in response to your last post. . .just guessing here. . .I assumed MATE had/has the legacy grub, which (maybe) explains why I had better results with the graphics versus Cinnamon. Dunno. . .just typing out my thoughts. :?

Thanks for the replies - looking forward to continued comm.
All MINTs has grub2 as default. Your problem was unstable Cinnamon more than grub .. :lol:
rxinfx
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rxinfx »

:oops: Learned something new today. :oops:

thx!

Return to “Installation & Boot”