Live CD install screen without 'Mint 15 logo',just text....

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jbradvi9
Level 1
Level 1

Live CD install screen without 'Mint 15 logo',just text....

Post by jbradvi9 »

After several installs of Mint 15 live CD, now the install screen comes up without logo just text 'linux mint 15' and blinking dots.I recently flashed the BIOS.What is going on?
NuxNubkins
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Live CD install screen without 'Mint 15 logo',just text.

Post by NuxNubkins »

This happens when I change the video driver from the open nouveau driver to a proprietary nvidia one. Do you have Linux Mint KDE installed by chance? There's a package you can install to very easily get the logo back.
jbradvi9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbradvi9 »

I can't tell You because I'm not so familiar with advanced stuff about pc architecture.I can only tell You I booted linuxes(mint15,xubuntu13.10) several times and everytime there was a picture accompanying the boot of each one but now there is only text.I have windows XP installed on HDD and due to undetectable malware(more annoying that destructive) I started using those liveCD-s.One problem that shows up on mint and doesn't on xubuntu is something about graphic acceleration with massages that it will use a big amount of CPU and that I should use mint in that way only in diagnostic mode but no way in preferences to change that and mint is now totally slow and unresponsive.Xubuntu is OK.The same pc and the same live CD-s but different result??
NuxNubkins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NuxNubkins »

Linux Mint uses a custom proprietary driver manager that you can use to pick a driver other than Nouveau, which is the generic graphics driver that *should* work properly for most cards, but there are exceptions based on which flavor of mint you're using and your card. The flavor of Mint refers to which is the installation's primary Desktop Environment. There's Cinnamon, GNOME, MATE, xfce, KDE, and Debian to name a few. To access the driver manager, open system settings and then open the driver manager. Also, if the logo is blue and white, you likely have KDE. If its green, you likely have Cinnamon. I'm not sure what the other logos look like.
jbradvi9
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbradvi9 »

The logo was green while all still worked so it's obviously Cinnamon.Something I also noticed is that my HP microtower dx 2300 is now strangely slow while detecting boot devices (the first is CD rom)!Perhaps I have to uninstall windows xp on hdd to get things better?
gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger »

jbradvi9 wrote:After several installs of Mint 15 live CD, now the install screen comes up without logo just text 'linux mint 15' and blinking dots.I recently flashed the BIOS.What is going on?
That happened to me after switching graphics driver. Found the solution here:
[url]http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=69688#p402718[/url]
Just follow the steps carefully and it should take care of the problem. Worked for me.

Good luck.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Return to “Installation & Boot”