Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
whixson
Level 1
Level 1

<SOLVED>Black screen before installation, Mint 16

Post by whixson »

I am working towards installing Mint 16 (64-bit)--Cinnamon on a Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5315. I must say, I am not getting very far. I have installed Mint 64--Cinnamon on 3 other machines, without this problem. Without any problems actually.

I have tried booting from both a DVD and USB. Both cases end with a blank screen, no prompt, no error messages. Through searching for answers, I found to hit 'e' in the menu,removing "no splash" at which point if hangs up after running a bunch of text across the screen. I am typing this on the laptop now, so I don't remember exactly what it was, but the gist of it is 'video module verification failed signature and/or required key missing' There doesn't seem to be anything I can do at that point, so I hard boot, and it goes back to the grub menu. I created the USB using the Universal USB Installer 1.9.5.1., the CD using Imgburn.

Through searching the internet, and this forum I have tried adding nomodeset both before and after the '--' in place of no splash. Same result.

Any direction would be appreciated.

Thanks

Will
Last edited by whixson on Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martensson
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Black screen before installation, Mint 16

Post by martensson »

Hi whixson,

Is your system stuck (e.g. numlock indicator doesn't go on and off if you turn it on/off) or is it still running but incapable of showing anything? If I got your story right you got a blank screen, right? Does CTRL+ALT+F1 (TTY1) brings you the first terminal (TTY1)? If not I would suggest running Mint in safe made, also alot of the times adding --noapic to the boot paratemers help. Please provide some extra info on this matter..
samwisethe2nd
Level 1
Level 1

Post by samwisethe2nd »

Both cases end with a blank screen, no prompt, no error messages. Through searching for answers, I found to hit 'e' in the menu,removing "no splash" at which point if hangs up after running a bunch of text across the screen. I am typing this on the laptop now, so I don't remember exactly what it was, but the gist of it is 'video module verification failed signature and/or required key missing' There doesn't seem to be anything I can do at that point, so I hard boot, and it goes back to the grub menu. I created the USB using the Universal USB Installer 1.9.5.1., the CD using Imgburn.

Through searching the internet, and this forum I have tried adding nomodeset both before and after the '--' in place of no splash. Same result.
Same exact results from my own LM16-MATE-32bit USB install for a Dell Optiplex GX240 desktop, see http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=152382
Didn't matter which exact nomodeset or modeset option I used either.
I have installed Mint 64--Cinnamon on 3 other machines, without this problem. Without any problems actually.
I think one suggestion for you is to backtrack all the way to Mint 13 (64-bit)--Cinnamon, and see what then happens display-wise on your Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5315

FWIW, I rcv'd a recommendation to install PCLinuxOS, and this Linux distro worked perfectly right off the bat for my Optiplex GX240. Since your Toshiba Satellite C855D-S5315 apparently has an ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6310 Graphics card, you could go with either a MATE64 or KDE64 version of PCLinuxOS (see http://www.pclinuxos.com/get-pclinuxos ) and that might work out better for this.

Just saying...

samwiseth2nd
whixson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whixson »

Thank you for you attention to this issue!
Is your system stuck (e.g. numlock indicator doesn't go on and off if you turn it on/off) or is it still running but incapable of showing anything?
Correct. The numlock stays on, no matter what I press.

Does CTRL+ALT+F1 (TTY1) brings you the first terminal (TTY1)?
No, nothing happens with that combination.
If not I would suggest running Mint in safe made, also alot of the times adding --noapic to the boot paratemers help
A selection called compatibility mode is there, is that what you mean? If so, I have tried that with the same result.

Thank You

Will
whixson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whixson »

I think one suggestion for you is to backtrack all the way to Mint 13 (64-bit)--Cinnamon
Thank you, I will keep that as a fall back plan. At least I know I will be able to get some flavor on Mint on here.
FWIW, I rcv'd a recommendation to install PCLinuxOS, and this Linux distro worked perfectly right off the bat for my Optiplex GX240
I would like to stick with Mint, if I can. It would be nice to have to same OS on all my PC's and laptops in the house. Another fall back plan. I was looking at the distro yesterday, thinking that would be my next best choice.
whixson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whixson »

I have an update on this problem. First problem, this laptop had "boot mode" section in the BIOS that I had previously overlooked, and never ran into before. I needed to change that from UEFI to bios boot. That remedied that I couldn't boot from the DVD drive.

The second problem was that my laptop was divided into 4 gpt partitions. I am not an expert, but it didn't seem like Linux was able to use these partitions.

Basically, I took the long way around. I was frustrated with my installation, and I wasn't getting any answers. So, I tried installing Windows 7 over Windows 8, thinking 8 was interfering with the installation. When I couldn't boot from the DVD, I went back into the BIOS and changed the boot type. During Windows 7 installation, I noticed and deleted the GPT partitions, and installed Windows 7 on the newly formatted drive.

Now, my problem is that Linux Mint is noticing the GPT table, and freezes up at that point. I am going to try a new DVD, since this one is messy.
whixson
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED>Black screen before installation, Mint 16

Post by whixson »

To sum everything up for people who may have the same problem:

I was trying to install Linux Mint 16 (X64) on a Toshiba Satellite with Windows 8 installed.

My problem was a black screen at boot before installation, but after grub. Also, it wouldn't boot at all from a DVD.

The first solution was to go into the BIOS and change the boot order (obviously), but it was also necessary to turn off smart boot, and change out UEFI under the boot mode section. That basically got me actually booting. I tried booting off of a DVD, but, admittedly, it was scratched up and not well taken care of on my part. It locked up several times, and I put it on the back burner until I could burn another DVD. I then created 2 USB live sticks using Universal USB Installer 1.9.5.1. Meanwhile, I installed Windows 7, and deleted all 4 partitions, including the recovery partition. I then formatted the entire drive.

The 16 GB Cruzer Edge booted, but would lock up shortly after clicking Install. I tried that a couple times, swore a bit, and then tried the 2nd stick. The 2nd stick was a 128 GB Cruzer Glide. This one worked flawlessly. At the beginning of the install I received a pop up alert asking if I had a GPT partitions. I answered 'yes', and heard nothing more and the install completed. I am now up and running.

I hope this helps someone out there... :D
mckemie
Level 1
Level 1

Re: <SOLVED>Black screen before installation, Mint 16

Post by mckemie »

I just had the same problem on my Toshiba Satellite C855D. A few tips:
I find it easier to reboot repeatedly by removing the battery, then pull the power plug.
Holding F12 while booting should give you access to the BIOS. Optical drive should be put at top of boot devices list.
The troublesome parameter ("safe boot" or some such) is two levels down. Under "System Configuration", I believe. After fixing the "safe boot" thing, Mint 16 installed well for me. After reading this thread, I decided to put PCLinuxOS on also. My PCLinuxOS CD would also boot but it failed to install; it hung up completely on the "what to do to the disk" section. Since I had Mint running, I did not pursue that problem.

I really regret buying this Toshiba. No such trouble with Acer, Lenovo, etc.

Return to “Installation & Boot”