Installation failed - Mint 16 cinnamon 64bit alongside W7

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
matth3o

Installation failed - Mint 16 cinnamon 64bit alongside W7

Post by matth3o »

Hi all,

I'm having troubles installing mint cinnamon 64bit alongside windows 7, basic partitions.

Each time i click on "Install now" during the installation process, i got a popup full of "????" and then i'm back to the first installation step.

I tried to select "Install alongside other OS" / "Something else"... but the error message is still the same.

I noticed however that when i navigate to "Disk management" in windows, the partitions i prepared for mint are no longer unallocated.

Thanks for your help!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Installation failed - Mint 16 cinnamon 64bit alongside W

Post by jungle_boy »

Run LM LiveDVD
Run Gparted
Take a snapshot of gparted and post here.
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
matth3o

Post by matth3o »

You'll find the screenshots before and after trying to install LM16.
yogurt

Post by yogurt »

Hi

I am also having problems with Mint 16 and Win 7. I have an ASUS laptop (U47 with a 750 gbit hd & UEFI) that came pre-installed win Win 7 home pro. I've tried both mint 15 & 16 (64 bit) with the same results. The install goes fine. When booting the Windows boot manager comes up with a line for Win 7 & Linux. If I try to choose Linux I get the following:

Error loading ( I forgot this line exactly)
file: \linuxmint\winboot\wubibidr.mbr
info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

I've tried using Easybcd to load another version with the same results. I've tried disabling UEFI also to no effect.

If I boot from the Mint DVD and select boot from local disk I get the GRUB menu and can successfully boot Mint, but not Win 7. I would like to use either GRUB or the Win boot loader.

I've tried to reload Mint and putting the mbr to another partition all to no effect.

Thanks for your help

Thanks for Linux Mint, I've been using it since Mint 3. I am an big fan and try to spread it around. Please continue with the KDE version, my personal favorite.

Randy
matth3o

Post by matth3o »

Any ideas ??
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

matth3o wrote:Any ideas ??
I'll take a stab, but if you are using RAID that's something I have not used and don't know if it's part of the problem.

I suspect that what's happening is that you are getting to the partitioning step of the installation, then you create the partitions but don't specify mount points and/or formatting. If you don't do that, then the installer will not have been pointed anywhere to install to. (Or, if you prepaired the partitions ahead of time, you were not aware that you had to then set the mount points to them before trying to install.)
matth3o wrote:I noticed however that when i navigate to "Disk management" in windows, the partitions i prepared for mint are no longer unallocated.
If you are using Windows disk manager to prepare Linux partitions ahead of time, DON'T do that. Before next install attempt, use Windows disk manager or GParted from the live DVD and delete those partitions completely -- leave the area you want to install to as nothing but free, unformatted space. If you do that, you should be able to select "Install alongside other OS" and have it install properly -- doing the partitioning automatically for itself. If you choose "Something else", then on the following page you need to select that empty space and make a large "logical" partition with mount point set to "/", formatted for Ext4, size = all the space less however much you want to leave for "swap" partition. Then click the remaining empty space that you left and make another "logical" partition for "swap": not mount point needed, formatted "linux-swap", size = total of whatever is left.

Return to “Installation & Boot”