Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
pacman67
Level 1
Level 1

Installing to older laptop system: non pae

Post by pacman67 »

Apologies if this is in the incorrect section/area and also if this has been asked before (I did search, but my search terms were too short and I had no success).

I recently inherited a bunch of old laptops (Pentium M, with 512M Ram) and want to ‘recycle’ them into my local community, They have a COE sticker for a soon to be unsupported operating system, and, being a I’m a fan of Mint, was thinking that Mint XFCE is the way to go. These laptops are Optima EW2 (Pentium M @ 1.5G, 512 mb RAM, 40G HDD)

Problem is with pae (i.e., not having one)

Whilst I have sucessfully installed CrunchBang, it's not MINT - and I want to give people the best...

Searching various forums/wiki, it appears I need to use MAYA.

Is this _still_ the current best plan?

Is there a better method? If so, PLEASE tell me what it is

And If you’re in Maitland, NSW, Australia and want one of these units for your very own – then please send me an email before I have given then all away...
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Installing to older laptop system: non pae

Post by karlchen »

Hello, pacman67.

The last Linux Mint version which will work on machines which are not PAE-capable is Mint 13. This statement is still correct. This, however, should not be a real problem, because Mint 13 is an LTS version and will be supported until April 2017. There is a good chance that with the end of the supported life of Mint 13 such old machines will have retired for technical reasons anyway. :wink:

See:
+ Linux Mint Releases and their life cycles
+ Release Notes for Linux Mint 13 Xfce
+ Ubuntu Desktop-12.04 (intitial 2012 release without any service packs)

Yet, with only 512 MB of RAM even Mint 13 xfce 32-bit might prove a bit heavy for such machines. Depends on which software will be used. So it may be worthwhile trying something like New Long-Term-Supported Puppy on them as well. It is based on Ubuntu 12.04.

Kind regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

There is a good chance that with the end of the supported life of Mint 13 such old machines will have retired for technical reasons anyway.
that's when they'll get grabbed for a 'nix conversion - Y'know.

- if it has 512Mb, then it's probably only got one memory stick, & it's a $15 upgrade to put in another.

- 1.5 Ghz & 1Gb ram = very common. & 40Gb hdd is ok for a 'nix setup, as well. ..

- they are very usable PCs.

- the big question is - "will Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17 LTS have a non-pae version?".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by usbtux »

google - fake pae ubuntu
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17.3 Mate. Pepermint 6 & Manjaro 15.12 Capella XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850
pacman67
Level 1
Level 1

Post by pacman67 »

Thanks for your input.

Looking at the options (and trying a few). I have decided to stay with CruchBang as the 'default' operating system on these machines.

Of the three I have currently freecycled - only one is staying on linux (the other two are being reverted to 'the better operating system' {there words, definately NOT mine}). :cry:

#1 makes it easy, pop in the CD, do install, answer Y to the 'do you want to update your system' questions. ready to roll...

If it's any consolation, on all the dektop machines I freecycle, Mint XFCE _is_ the 'default' (though default implies it could be changed, I gess it could be, but NOT by me).
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol »

Linux Mint has another option that works without PAE, the i486 kernel in LMDE.

The last LMDE XFCE edition was very light but LMDE MATE with XFCE or LXDE on top should also be light.

Return to “Installation & Boot”