Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Firry
Level 1
Level 1

XP doesn't recognize .iso files

Post by Firry »

Hello all. I've used a 3rd-party app to create a partition on an XP hard drive and want to install Mint. Downloaded Mint and burned a DVD, but now find that XP does not recognize the .iso file type - so won't run the installation DVD. I downloaded another 3rd-party app, http://www.imgburn.com/, in order to change the .iso file type to something XP will recognize... but to what? Does anyone know what file type XP will recognize in order to allow installation? I'm hoping I can copy the .iso files to the new hard drive partition, change the file type, then burn a new DVD that XP will recognize. What I need is the correct file type to use. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: XP doesn't recognize .iso files

Post by xenopeek »

For some Windows image burners you might have to rename the file to .img.

Might also be the download is corrupted or incomplete? Please see page 9 and 10 in the user guide (it's for release 15, but applies to 16 also), where also for Windows information is shared how to check the MD5 of the file and how to burn it to a DVD. Includes links to programs for Windows that Linux Mint recommends.

Firry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Firry »

Thanks xenopeek, will do.

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Hello Firry,

Forgive me for not understanding what you mean by "not recognized by Windows". At what point in the process are you wanting Windows to recognize the ISO?

All you want to do is download the ISO, and use ImageBurn (or similar - ImageBurn is my choice) to burn the ISO to disk. Then, boot from the DVD and install. Windows won't be running at all during the boot from DVD and installation of Mint.

If what you are saying is the computer isn't booting from the DVD, but just booting Windows every time, it may be that you need to change the device boot order so that the optical drive is first ahead of the HDD. Usually that is done in the BIOS, or by pressing a key (usually F1 or F2) to select the boot device.

tadaensylvermane
Level 2
Level 2

Post by tadaensylvermane »

Make sure you burn as image not as a file to the disc. If you can navigate to the disk and see an .iso file you didn't do it right.

Firry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Firry »

That's the ticket. When I burned the DVD I made a perfect copy of the .iso file. The disc wasn't bootable.

This is worth noting for other Mac users... the Mac interface makes it very easy (drag and drop) to burn discs via the Finder window. But burning discs that way creates an exact copy of the files. It doesn't create a formatted, bootable DVD.

To do that, I downloaded Mint again on a PC and this time created a DVD using third-party software called imgburn. That DVD was formatted and bootable. I was able to install OK.

Thanks to all for your feedback and suggestions.

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Also be carefull with imgburn, it used to be opensource, now its open sourced mallware drive by downloader. It mucked up my windows installation. Aparently, it is a silent downlaoder for mallware which downloads more mallware, takes over home page, installs widgets on desktop. They do have an opt out in the Customize Instaltion section during install.

usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by usbtux »

install nero from filehippo. its time limited but will get you going - I think theres a free version as well

http://www.filehippo.com/download_nero_lite/ is the free version
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17.3 Mate. Pepermint 6 & Manjaro 15.12 Capella XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850

grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

Update on good programs in windows. The site http://www.ninite.com is a lot like a package manager. It simplifies the installs of programs, without the nagging "Next" buttons on the installation wizards.
I suggest using this downloader because the download link at imgburn's own site installs malware. Thus Under the Utilities stection of Ninite, mark the checkbox for ImgBurn or InfraRecorder and click 'Get Installer', to get the malware-free installer.

Return to “Installation & Boot”