Mint Installer RUINED AGAIN when will you learn?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
maioral88

Mint Installer RUINED AGAIN when will you learn?

Post by maioral88 »

WHY is it SO difficult do COPY the open source install of DEBIAN???

For YEARS we complain about LVM CRYPTED install.

Now someone with a low iq thought it solved all...
Ok, buddy, but I DONT WANT FULL DISK LVM!!!!!!!!!!!

I want LVM INSIDE A LIMITED CRYPTED DISK!!! Why is it so hard to make it in graphical install??

1) boot partition unencrypted
2) encrypted disk of X gigas
3) LVM inside the encrypted disk and create my partitions inside there! !!!
4) We want it in GRAPHICAL INSTALL!!!

So we dont have to type a password for EACH ENCRYPTED PARTITION!!! And we dont want full disk!
Why is it so hard to understand what we need??? We want an encrypted lvm system with ONE DISK PASSWORD!!!

Is SO EASY to do it in debian, in gui or expert install...
WHY is it so complicated to add those basic functions in mint install WHY WHY WHY???

Will i have to use that %&^%^&%@ command line with 987983723 commands to do that???
Someone knows HOW do i do it???

1) boot partition ext 2
2) Encrypted disk with 200 GB (to do LVM inside), with SERPENT 256 bits (in debian we choose the encryption options)
3) LVM with 1gb root, 40 gb usr, 5 gb temp, 9 gb var, 3 gb opt, 6 gb SWAP (in BEGGINING of disk space cause is faster), and the rest HOME.

How do i do that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint Installer RUINED AGAIN when will you learn?

Post by grimdestripador »

I too would like to be able to do LVM on a crypted install.
I do not believe this to be a Help Desk, where it would be approparate to demand and yell. Perhaps you can take a reapproach to this using some persuasive writing skills. In the end, if you want a feature, perhaps you should petition others to want to the feature. Then perhaps one of them has the coding skills required to make those changes. I do not think that you know how open sourced software develops, because you had me convinced at LVM and Crypt, but the Troll in me just wants to poke at you cause you already showed that your agitated.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

the Troll in me just wants to poke at you cause you already showed that your agitated.

I was tempted to write "Use Debian if it's so wonderful", and "lack of an obscure feature doesn't mean 'RUINED'", but I didn't.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
maioral88

Post by maioral88 »

my ~posture~ matters nothing. I am just ONE user.
Google and you will see HUNDREDS of people trying to do this FOR YEARS.

Mint is built over DEBIAN and UBUNTU. Even the LMDE have none of these options.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=131347
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=106921

there are hundreds of posts of people trying to do and complaining. FOR YEARS!!!

Now some GENIOUS put an AUTOMATED OPTION TO DO IT ON FULL DISK, but people wont always use 2 TB disks ONLY FOR MINT.

All other distros have those options. Dont want to lose time writing?? COPY!!! The codes are already DONE FOR YEARS!
Even in the distro that ORIGINATES THIS ONE, SUPPOSED TO BE MORE EVOLVED...
maioral88

Post by maioral88 »

Until now NOT A SOLUTION for the !^!^&*!^^ that ruined the instalator again.

OMG! COPY the codes from debian or ubuntu, but DO IT RIGHT!!!
How can we have LVM with FULL DISK ERASE ALL FOR NOOBS and NO OPTION IN MANUAL INSTALL???

In Crypt the disk, we can`t even choose encryption KIND OR KEY SIZE!!!

How can we bypass this fail from the developer In Command line? Is there a way in this version?
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Post by grimdestripador »

lol
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

maioral88 wrote: OMG! COPY the codes from debian or ubuntu, but DO IT RIGHT!!!
How can we have LVM with FULL DISK ERASE ALL FOR NOOBS and NO OPTION IN MANUAL INSTALL???
Go use Debian or Unbuntu and leave us...
Or you can just do this by command line since GUI is not working... :lol:
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

The main editions of Linux Mint follow the Ubuntu development tree, bnot the Debian development tree, so you can't really blame the mint team for the way LVM on LUKS is handled.

That said, I beleive that installations of Linux onto LVM on LUKS setups should be done manually, and not automated through an installer that does it all for you, because so much can go wrong and the default encryption settings may not be suitable for the hardware you are using (this is why you see posts like "my encrypted Ubuntu installation is so slow").

Return to “Installation & Boot”