Is it easy to install two copies of Mint?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Tz2001
Level 1
Level 1

Is it easy to install two copies of Mint?

Post by Tz2001 »

I assume this wont be an issue, but I'd like to check just in case there are and considerations/caveats that I need to know about:

Currently, I have Linux Mint 16 KDE and Windows 8 installed on different drives and the boot loader (grub, as installed with LM) is on the same drive as LM.

I'd like to install LM16 Cinnamon alongside my LM KDE installation. How easy is this? Can I simply boot from the LiveCD and let it sort itself out or do I need to do anything to configure grub to allow this?

I already have a spare hard drive so don't need to worry about creating a partition on either of the existing drives.

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Is it easy to install two copies of Mint?

Post by kyphi »

You can install as many operating systems as you have space for.
During installation the installer will identify which operating systems are already installed and will suggest to install alongside.
Pay attention to where the bootloader file will be installed.
Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon - 64bit

Dngrsone
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Dngrsone »

Installing a second Mint is not a problem.

You will need to consider a couple things: If you use a separate partition for your /home folder, don't try to use the same /home partition for both installs, it can cause problems.

With that said, and it seems a tad counterintuitive, you can also install CInnamon into your current LM KDE installation. You will have the option of picking which evironment to use when you log in.

I currently have LM 15 (Cinnamon) installed with KDE-full installed on top of that (and LXDE-- I like Thunar's bulk renaming capability). I wanted Plasma's desktop power, but prefer the Gnomish tools that come with Cinnamon.

If you do decide to load a second LM, then you will want to manually configure the partitioning, to avoid the installation program doing something untoward. You can use the same swap partition for both OSs.

It is also a very good idea to back everything up beforehand, as insurance against something disastrous occuring.
Try politeness; people will like you for it.

Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

I have four linuxes installed; here's a picture of the disk arrangement (click to embiggen):

Mint 16 is the main one with grub (legacy) installed, and has the /boot/grub/menu.lst file.

When I install another I DON'T install any MBR, keep the same menu.lst, and edit it by hand (each entry is only 4 easy lines to add).
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Tz2001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tz2001 »

Thanks, I don't want to share the home folder I want a completely fresh install with cinnamon to see what it's like :)

When I tried to install Cinnamon on top of my KDE install it caused a load of gnome processes to run on every boot in the background and I spent a while trying to stop them.

Anyway, I got scared and cheated ;p

I unplugged all the other hard drives and installed mint, I can use the bios boot selection to choose which to boot into. It's only temporary until I decide whether I want to keep KDE or switch to cinnamon.

Return to “Installation & Boot”