Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tplundgren
Level 1
Level 1

Why is Mint 16 free.

Postby tplundgren » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:10 pm

I have tried version 16 KDE and Cinnamon. Both hung up after the "boot" screen with the little Green or Blue and white squares. What a joke.
I asked for help in the newbie forum and had seventeen views and not one suggestion for help.

I am amazed you can give this stuff away.

clfarron4
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Why is Mint 16 free.

Postby clfarron4 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:23 pm

What graphics card are you using?
Problems? Tell us EXACTLY what you've done and what you expected to happen, IN DETAIL. That will save us questions, and we should get along better,

I have dysgraphia. This means I might have understood you incorrectly through no fault of my own.

colyn
Level 6
Level 6

Postby colyn » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:04 pm

Before blaming Mint or any other Linux version for that matter, take a look at your computers specs. Linux does not work on every computer because of old or otherwise unsupported hardware. You also may not have enough ram..

karlchen
Level 18
Level 18

Postby karlchen » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:21 pm

Hello, tplundgren.
tplundgren wrote:I have tried version 16 KDE and Cinnamon. Both hung up after the "boot" screen with the little Green or Blue and white squares.
Sorry to read you are having problems installing Mint 16.
What a joke.
Without knowing a single detail on what exactly happens and in which environment, there is no way to tell
+ whether you are hit by a software bug
+ whether you are doing something the wrong way round
+ whether your hardware itself is the source of trouble
+ what else might be the reason.
I asked for help in the newbie forum and had seventeen views and not one suggestion for help.
Well, your report over there does not hold the tiniest detail which would enable anybody to offer any help.
It reminds me of some phone calls on the answering machine where the caller only demands, "Call me back asap", without giving any reason why I should do so.

You might like to amend your thread post First install Of Linux Mint 16 KDE by
+ giving it a more descriptive title. The title does not suggest something may have gone wrong
+ adding relevant details which explain as precisely as possible what the problems really are
+ adding the technical details of your machine.

And 17 views does not mean much. Search bots keep on reading forums all day long. Some of the readers may have been such search bots (Google, Yahoo etc pp, you know.)

Finally, starting a rant because you post has not received an answer after 2.5 hours (20:40 - 23:10), this is inappropriate. This forum is based on the principle that users help users. So we are all volunteers. There is no warranty you will get a solution within a certain timespan. There is no warranty someone will take start taking care of your problem in a certain timespan. There is not even a warranty your post will receive any attention at all.

Kind regards,
Karl
Old bugs good, new bugs bad! Updates are evil: might fix old bugs and introduce no new ones.

tplundgren
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tplundgren » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:26 am

Using an ECS Elite MB P4M800PRO-M v 1.0 2GB ram Penguin Wireless N PCI NIC.

Sorry for the rant. At least I got a response.

Does Mint provide some support or is it all Volunteer?

mank_in
Level 6
Level 6

Postby mank_in » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:17 pm

tplundgren wrote:Using an ECS Elite MB P4M800PRO-M v 1.0

If you are using onboard vga ( VIA/S3 unichrome Pro ), it's not very well working in linux . VIA didn't have good support for linux. The only driver available is openchrome (open source driver ). It will use software renderer mode (llvmpipe ).
Cinnamon and KDE need modern graphic card. I think LM 13 XFCE work with this Mobo. But don't expect to much, software renderer take to much CPU power ( At least you need hyper treading CPU ). ECS PM800Pro is from 2004 ( i have this board too , status : retired ), if you want try linux maybe you need lighter DE like LXDE ( LXLE ,Lubuntu 12.0.4) or enlightenment ( Bodhi Linux ). Or maybe distro for old hardware like puppy linux.

tplundgren wrote:Does Mint provide some support or is it all Volunteer?

Linux Mint didn't offer commercial support , All here in the forum is volunteer .
Sorry for my bad English , I am Indonesian.

tplundgren
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tplundgren » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:24 pm

mank_in wrote:
tplundgren wrote:Using an ECS Elite MB P4M800PRO-M v 1.0

If you are using onboard vga ( VIA/S3 unichrome Pro ), it's not very well working in linux . VIA didn't have good support for linux. The only driver available is openchrome (open source driver ). It will use software renderer mode (llvmpipe ).
Cinnamon and KDE need modern graphic card. I think LM 13 XFCE work with this Mobo. But don't expect to much, software renderer take to much CPU power ( At least you need hyper treading CPU ). ECS PM800Pro is from 2004 ( i have this board too , status : retired ), if you want try linux maybe you need lighter DE like LXDE ( LXLE ,Lubuntu 12.0.4) or enlightenment ( Bodhi Linux ). Or maybe distro for old hardware like puppy linux.

tplundgren wrote:Does Mint provide some support or is it all Volunteer?

Linux Mint didn't offer commercial support , All here in the forum is volunteer .

Thanks. I will check them out.

Return to “Installation & Boot”