Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
BrianTee
Level 1
Level 1

Petra KDE not recognizing win 7 install

Post by BrianTee »

Installed lots of dual boots, but never had this.
Lenovo L540 laptop with 1T hardrive. Win 7 installed using legacy BIOS. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Installing Linux Mint 16 KDE and it does not recognize the Windows 7 partitions at all. Setting up partitions even manually there are no win7 partitions and adding one shows the full 1T available. I'm pretty sure it will wipe windows if i install.

In the live CD i can see all the windows drives, system and data. I tried Cinnamon 32 bit petra and did exactly the same thing.

Any thoughts?

BrianTee
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Petra KDE not recognizing win 7 install

Post by BrianTee »

Just tried Manjaro 0.8.8 and same thing. Asks to create a partition table before i can add a partition.

Once again the liveCD sees all the partitions. Installing sees none.

CupOfCoffee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CupOfCoffee »

I'm a bit confused here -

You're saying that Linux Mint doesn't recognise your Windows partiton, and that you can't install Linux Mint alongside Windows 7 because it doesn't detect your Windows 7 installation, right?
New PC (using): Lenovo G505s - 6GB RAM, 1TB HHD, AMD A10-5750M Crossfire Graphics.

My Rusty and Trusty Old PC(not in use): Compaq Presario C500 (widescreen) - 2.5GB RAM, 1TB Solid State Hybrid, 1.86 GHz Intel Celeron M 440.

CupOfCoffee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CupOfCoffee »

I think I had a similar problem when installing Linux Mint at first. I did this to install Linux Mint KDE alongside Windows: I left the Windows partition alone, no other partitions (except recovery or OEM paritions, etc.), just free, unallocated space. Then the installer on the LiveCD gave me the option with the "slider" to adjust how much space Mint should have and how much Windows should have.

My advice for you is to boot the LiveCD - without any other partitions - just Windows.

Hope this helps!
New PC (using): Lenovo G505s - 6GB RAM, 1TB HHD, AMD A10-5750M Crossfire Graphics.

My Rusty and Trusty Old PC(not in use): Compaq Presario C500 (widescreen) - 2.5GB RAM, 1TB Solid State Hybrid, 1.86 GHz Intel Celeron M 440.

BrianTee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianTee »

Correct, it will not recognize the fact i have windows 7 on already. I have 150 G of unpartitioned space for it to go into, but it just shows up as sda with no partitions. No slider to set as, according to the mint installer, its an empty disk.

I can see all the drives, correct size, just running file manager in the liveCD. As soon as i go to install, there is an empty disk.

BrianTee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianTee »

Tried a few more things. Removed ExpressCache from win 7 and formatted the cache. No change.

Running In the liveCD, could see all the windows partitions in Dolphin and explore them all. The newly formated 16G cache now too. Could copy a file from the windows C: disk to the desktop.

In KDE Partition it shows an empty disk with no partitions. If i create a partition for linux i'm 99.9999% sure it will wipe Win 7.

fdisk -l shows no partitions.

Seems odd that dolphin would show all the files, but the partitions do not show up at all.

BrianTee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianTee »

Did some more testing. Installed KDE and it comletely wiped out windows 7. Partitions no longer exist. So went to install windows and said it can't install to a GPT Disk. Screwed either way.

CupOfCoffee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CupOfCoffee »

Were you able to back up all that was on your Windows installation? I hope so... :shock:

I have a second idea about how Linux couldn't recognise your Windows installation. Maybe your Windows partiton was in a format that Mint can't detect, like how Windows can't detect Ext2 file systems without the use of external programs (like Ext2Fsd). But what format could your Windows use that Mint can't recognise?

Wow, this could be a real issue you've found here... Could you tell us the format/filesystem of your Windows partition if you can remember?

I don't know if EaseUS Partition Master works in Wine or not, but it has a utility you can use to recover lost drives or partitions...

CupOfCoffee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CupOfCoffee »

BrianTee wrote:In KDE Partition it shows an empty disk with no partitions. If i create a partition for linux i'm 99.9999% sure it will wipe Win 7.
Well, at least you were right about it wiping your Windows 7 installation...

BrianTee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianTee »

HA! Yup.

Ran TestDisk (http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk) and all the Win 7 partitions and MBR are valid. Install does not see the partitions. So wierd that Dolphin will see them, can explore them, but install will not.

Eventually someone with a new Lenovo is also gonna run into this problem, until then i guess Windows only. :cry:

BrianTee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianTee »

CupOfCoffee wrote:Were you able to back up all that was on your Windows installation? I hope so... :shock:

I have a second idea about how Linux couldn't recognise your Windows installation. Maybe your Windows partiton was in a format that Mint can't detect, like how Windows can't detect Ext2 file systems without the use of external programs (like Ext2Fsd). But what format could your Windows use that Mint can't recognise?

Wow, this could be a real issue you've found here... Could you tell us the format/filesystem of your Windows partition if you can remember?

I don't know if EaseUS Partition Master works in Wine or not, but it has a utility you can use to recover lost drives or partitions...
Its a normal NTFS install, 100 mb system and 250g c: drive. Nothing out of the ordinary. Remainder of the disk is unpartioned. Linux mint can see Win7 partition just fine because i can explore the partitions just fine in Dolphin with LiveCD.

I have done this process on lots of computers, flawlessly. Very Frustrating as this laptop is sweeeeet to run KDE.

In terms of backup, full disk image on my NAS4Free server before trying, Bam its back :D

Before i restored it, i did a quick win 7 install, no Lenovo drivers, no intel drivers, just a first boot install. Again LiveCD dolphin saw Win 7 partitions, could explore them, install saw nothing.

I can install KDE just fine on it, or win 7, but not both.

BrianTee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianTee »

mint@mint:~ > sudo os-prober
/dev/sda1:Windows 7 (loader):Windows:chain
grub-probe: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sdc1. Check your device.map.
mint@mint:~ > sudo fdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders, total 1953525168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xa6d0d78c

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 2048 206847 102400 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2 206848 512002047 255897600 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdb: 16.0 GB, 16013942784 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 1946 cylinders, total 31277232 sectors
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x30dcb695

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdc'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdc: 8004 MB, 8004304896 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 973 cylinders, total 15633408 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x7d20f695

/dev/sdc1 * 0 2731007 1365504 0 Empty
/dev/sdc2 78280 82823 2272 ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdc1'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdc1: 1398 MB, 1398276096 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 169 cylinders, total 2731008 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x7d20f695

/dev/sdc1p1 * 0 2731007 1365504 0 Empty
/dev/sdc1p2 78280 82823 2272 ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)

Disk /dev/sdd: 4022 MB, 4022337024 bytes
124 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1021 cylinders, total 7856127 sectors
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sdd doesn't contain a valid partition table
mint@mint:~ > sudo parted -l
Warning: /dev/sda contains GPT signatures, indicating that it has a GPT table.
However, it does not have a valid fake msdos partition table, as it should.
Perhaps it was corrupted -- possibly by a program that doesn't understand GPT
partition tables. Or perhaps you deleted the GPT table, and are now using an
msdos partition table. Is this a GPT partition table?
Yes/No? n

Warning: /dev/sdb contains GPT signatures, indicating that it has a GPT table. However, it
does not have a valid fake msdos partition table, as it should. Perhaps it was corrupted --
possibly by a program that doesn't understand GPT partition tables. Or perhaps you deleted
the GPT table, and are now using an msdos partition table. Is this a GPT partition table?
Yes/No? n

Warning: /dev/sdc contains GPT signatures, indicating that it has a GPT table. However, it
does not have a valid fake msdos partition table, as it should. Perhaps it was corrupted --
possibly by a program that doesn't understand GPT partition tables. Or perhaps you deleted
the GPT table, and are now using an msdos partition table. Is this a GPT partition table?
Yes/No? ^C
Error: The backup GPT table is not at the end of the disk, as it should be. This might mean
that another operating system believes the disk is smaller. Fix, by moving the backup to
the end (and removing the old backup)?
Fix/Ignore/Cancel? i
Warning: Not all of the space available to /dev/sdc appears to be used, you can fix the GPT
to use all of the space (an extra 12902400 blocks) or continue with the current setting?
Fix/Ignore? i
Error: Unable to satisfy all constraints on the partition.

Error: /dev/sdd: unrecognised disk label

mint@mint:~ >

Notes, sda is the 1T drive, sdb is the 16g cache, the rest are the usb drive for mint and 1 for copying text to to post here.

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

it seems you have corrupted GPT formatted hard disk.

As you could install Win7 in legacy, the 'easier and most high chance of success' is to do all these in the old legacy, msdos format

It means wipe everything..
so backup data first to external USB drive

1. boot to Linux DVD, run live

2. run gparted, delete everything

3. still on gparted, create a msdos partition table

4. do whatever you are familiar on partition,, now in msdos formatted hard disk, so obey the 4 primary partitions max rule or 3 primary partition plus one extended partition, inside you can put as many as you could for logical partition..

I think you were mixing the two modes in your earlier installation. Win7 in legacy /msdos mode, but Linux in uefi mode... sorry, too much trouble, I always go back to old technology

afterall your hard disk has 1TB, msdos can handle upto 2.2TB

CupOfCoffee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CupOfCoffee »

Awesome, I hope that this ^ works for you!

BrianTee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianTee »

My bios is strictly in Legacy mode, and i will try the gparted from the command line when i get home. Travelling for a couple days. There is another thread going on right now with a fellow and a Lenovo with the same problem.

From my notes: Laptop came with Windows 8. I set the bios to legacy as win 7 would not boot to load any other way. Deleted all the partions in win 7 install and created a 230Gb for windows and it created the 100Mb. Installed Win 7 normally. Everything works perfectly. Tried installing KDE mint, would not see drives. In liveCD KDE Partition manager would not see any partitions, but did recognize there was a partition table to delete, but Dolphin would explore them. Majaro 0.8.8 XFCE would not even see a partition table and only option was to create one but was still able to explore the windows 7 partition. In KDE, i did not delete the partition table but added partition and swap in manual mode and installled KDE in hopes win7 would remain. It did not. Did a fresh install of win 7 from the USB iso and selecting custom install, deleted all the partitions and installed win 7. Reboot. Did not install any custom intel, Lenovo, windows drivers. LiveCD in mint, can explore win 7 partitions but install does not see partions. Restore working full win7 with Acronos true image restore of whole drive. Win 7 and ExpressCache work flawless.

I am willing to try your idea shortly but since fdisk -l showed unreadable and corrupt tables in the 1T harddrive, the 16G cache drive, even the USB thumb drive i had for transferring your command request and even the Linux KDE install USB, the odds don't seem that good.

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

Just in case there is a misunderstanding on how to set hard disk to msdos partition table...

If yours is already a corrupted GPT table, deleting all partitions is NOT enough..

you can follow this post on how to set hard disk to msdos partition table
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... le#p733632

BrianTee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianTee »

First of all thankyou for all the help in steering me to the fact a corrupt GPT table/mbr exists after deleting all the partitions in windows setup. I've successfully done both an MBR and EFI install this morning and works flawless either way. Key was to use DISKPART in the windows install and wipe the disk clean, then select the drive and proceed letting windows make all partitions regardless of using MBR or UEFI

Lots of frustrations initially but here is what I did. First made a bootable USB for EFI by following these directions and using RUFUS.
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15 ... ndows.html

Start up windows setup, and when you get to the screen for where to install, hit ALT-F10. In the command window type:
>DISKPART
>List Disk ( look which disk # yours is)
>Select Disk # (replace the # sign with your disk number)
>Clean (wipes the disk and partitions and setup clean)
>exit
> exit (again to exit command prompt)
Install windows as normal selecting the unpartitioned unallocated disk. Windows setup will create all partitions for you.
In windows now go to disk management and shrink the C: disk to make space for your linux install.

The whole key of course is a shiny new spotless drive to start with and since you are doing a dual boot anyways, easiest just to use DISKPART tool.

Consider this post solved as i'm entering this in Firefox in KDE on a dual booted with Win 7 UEFI machine
Install Linux as normal.

Return to “Installation & Boot”