Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
wandry
Level 1
Level 1

Help! Linuxmint 16 installer can not see my partition

Post by wandry »

I am using Lenovo Z410-0659 with 1 TB harddisk drive, I've created 3 partitions (4 with System Reserved) in Windows and 28 GB of unallocated space which I prepared for Linuxmint 16 installation.1 for Windows 8.1 and 2 for storing data, when I run Linuxmint 16 Cinnamon live usb, I can see my partition in Computer and mount it, but when I try to install it and I using "Something Else" option, it didn't list my partitions at all, it show my whole harddisk as 1 TB of free space and only one partition, please help me, I really like Linuxmint 16 and I want to dual boot it with Windows 8.1 but I cant install it because it will use my entire harddisk. I've tried to search but can not find anyone with the same problem and can not find the solution, I've tried UEFI boot and Legacy First boot but the result is the same. Thanx before, I really hope to find solution :(

CupOfCoffee
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Help! Linuxmint 16 installer can not see my partition

Post by CupOfCoffee »

I was just helping a man who had a Lenovo L540 with a 1TeraByte HDD like yours. The Linux 16 installer did not recognise his Windows installation either, and he said that when he tried Manjaro Linux, it did not recognise it either. He eventually tried installing Linux Mint, and it ended up wiping his whole drive. Unless you want a clean Mint install, I wouldn't proceed.

Here is the link to the thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=158750 - Petra KDE not recognizing win 7 install.
New PC (using): Lenovo G505s - 6GB RAM, 1TB HHD, AMD A10-5750M Crossfire Graphics.

My Rusty and Trusty Old PC(not in use): Compaq Presario C500 (widescreen) - 2.5GB RAM, 1TB Solid State Hybrid, 1.86 GHz Intel Celeron M 440.

wandry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wandry »

Thank You very much CupofCoffee, so there is no other solution for now?

wandry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wandry »

How about Ubuntu? is there any chance that it will work?

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Post by wayne128 »

wandry wrote:I am using Lenovo Z410-0659 with 1 TB harddisk drive,

I've created 3 partitions (4 with System Reserved) in Windows and 28 GB of unallocated space which I prepared for Linuxmint 16 installation.1 for Windows 8.1 and 2 for storing data, when I run Linuxmint 16 Cinnamon live usb, I can see my partition in Computer and mount it, but when I try to install it and I using "Something Else" option, it didn't list my partitions at all, it show my whole harddisk as 1 TB of free space and only one partition,

From your decription, I am not sure about your original format of hard disk.
If yours is in msdos format, then, adding new 3 partitions in Windows would turn it into windows version of lvm or what is commonly known as dynamic volume. If this is the case, then I am afraid you have to redo everything because Linux OS cannot handle windows' dynamic volume.

However if yours ia a GPT formatted hard disk, then there are a lot more involved in installation of dual boot with Windows/Linux.

Perhaps you can do these steps to check your hard disk partition, so that you know what were in the hard disk partition/format

1. boot with Linux DVD , run in Live mode.

2. open a terminal windows, type three commands, and post their results .

sudo os-prober

sudo fdisk -l

sudo parted -l

CupOfCoffee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CupOfCoffee »

I'm not that sure if Ubuntu would work, but you could try and see...
I've had that Linux craving before :wink:

My thought is that if Mint can't see it, Ubuntu can't either...
New PC (using): Lenovo G505s - 6GB RAM, 1TB HHD, AMD A10-5750M Crossfire Graphics.

My Rusty and Trusty Old PC(not in use): Compaq Presario C500 (widescreen) - 2.5GB RAM, 1TB Solid State Hybrid, 1.86 GHz Intel Celeron M 440.

BrianTee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianTee »

ok, so i am the 'other man' :lol: from here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=158842

It would seem Lenovo has done something special here. I tried 5 different distros and they all had the exact same result, can exolore the partition, but on install it doesn't see them.

I posted my results of those commands on that other link. Can you? If you boot in liveCD, can you explore the windows partition also?

CupOfCoffee
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CupOfCoffee »

BrianTee wrote:ok, so i am the 'other man' :lol: from here http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=158842
The other man... hah! :lol:
Or "another gentleman", or "another kind sir".

I think this type of collabaration between two similar threads is nice, since both problems get deciphered quite a bit more quickly.

wandry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wandry »

sorry for the late reply, just come back to read it, hello the other man :), yes i can see my partitions and mount it in file manager but when it proceed to the installer it become 1 TB of free space without partitions at all, just a blank whole harddisk, I will try to run the code when I get back home, aw suck I really love linuxmint, my previous notebook have no problem with installing any distros, if anyone have any solution please be kind to share it

wandry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wandry »

Is there anything to do about BIOS settings? how about the sata controller (ahci or compatible), legacy or uefi first, or preferred OS? or any other settings? is there any combination that work?

wandry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wandry »

I think linux can handle LVM just fine, in my previous notebook I have 4 windows partition and both ubuntu 10.10 and linuxmint (forget the version) can recognized it perfectly, and i manage to install it alongside windows 7, I agree with the other man that it is likely Lenovo did something

BrianTee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianTee »

Its the other man! :lol:

First of all thankyou for all the help in steering me to the fact a corrupt GPT table/mbr exists after deleting all the partitions in windows setup. I've successfully done both an MBR and EFI install this morning and works flawless either way. Key was to use DISKPART in the windows install and wipe the disk clean, then select the drive and proceed letting windows make all partitions regardless of using MBR or UEFI

Lots of frustrations initially but here is what I did. First made a bootable USB for EFI by following these directions and using RUFUS. Follow EXACTLY!!!
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15 ... ndows.html

Start up windows setup, and when you get to the screen for where to install, hit ALT-F10. In the command window type:
>DISKPART
>List Disk ( look which disk # yours is)
>Select Disk # (replace the # sign with your disk number)
>Clean (wipes the disk and partitions and setup clean)
>exit
> exit (again to exit command prompt)
Install windows as normal selecting the unpartitioned unallocated disk. Windows setup will create all partitions for you.
Once installed In windows now go to disk management and shrink the C: disk to make space for your linux install.
Install Linux as normal.

The whole key of course is a shiny new spotless drive to start with and since you are doing a dual boot anyways, easiest just to use DISKPART tool.

BIOS set to UEFI only, AHCI, yes.

i'm entering this in Firefox in KDE on a dual booted with Win 7 UEFI machine.

BrianTee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianTee »

Oh and interestingly my BIOS never displayed UEFI:Disk_To_Be_Booted_From as it only displayed the usb as a normal drive ie no UEFI: in front of it. Lots of intructions say it must be there, but it does not.

It was just a list of possible boot sources so just try your boot medium and if it boots it works.

wandry
Level 1
Level 1

Post by wandry »

:? i dont think i want to wipe my disk clean, sadly looks like is should just settle with windows, hopefully next release will find a way to address this issue without wiping the whole disk :(

Return to “Installation & Boot”