Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Needed: A Better Installer

Post by Derek_S »

This is the first time I have ever posted in Installation and Boot as a person having a problem. Up until now all I have done is try to help others with their problems. But I've seen a lot of posts recently and have to ask a few simple questions: What was changed in the Mint installer between version 15 and 16? Why are so many people complaining that the installer ignores the fact that Windows is currently installed? And why can't the installer detect if Windows is using MBR or UEFI boot and install the proper version of grub in the proper place? It seems to me that about half of the posts in this section could be eliminated if the installer did it's job correctly instead of messing up the installation and causing all sorts of problems for people to deal with.

Several days ago I installed openSUSE 13.1 on my HP Envy DV7 and their installer detected that Windows 8 was already installed, detected that it was using UEFI boot and where the UEFI partition was located, and also detected that it had Secure Boot enabled! The only thing I had to do post-installation was to boot Windows, open the Command Prompt as administrator, and enter "bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\opensuse\shim.efi" to change the path in order to use the grub boot manager instead of the Windows boot manger. The next time I booted, there was the grub menu! So simple! I think there is a lesson here for the Linux Mint developers, hopefully someone is paying attention and will make some much needed improvements regarding the installer. It would make a world of difference to people installing Mint for the first time and save them the headaches of dealing with an installation gone wrong.
"Truth is becoming rarer and rarer as time passes. It is only a matter of time before it will cease to exist."

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Needed: A Better Installer

Post by gold_finger »

I couldn't agree more!

Don't know what's involved and whether it's a Mint or Ubuntu thing, but sure would be nice if installer acted as you report the Suse one does.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

mintybits
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Needed: A Better Installer

Post by mintybits »

Derek_S wrote:I think there is a lesson here for the Linux Mint developers, hopefully someone is paying attention and will make some much needed improvements regarding the installer. It would make a world of difference to people installing Mint for the first time and save them the headaches of dealing with an installation gone wrong.
I don't think anyone is paying attention. The Ubuntu installer has been a nightmare for years and obvious things never get fixed. Grub is similar. I spent a lot of time in the Ubuntu forums sorting out basic installer and boot problems which wasted so much of peoples' time, unecessarily, and linux bigots too often falsely blamed Windows for any problems. I don't think the Ubuntu folks care about existing Windows installations. In fact, based on the very first entry in their bug list them seem to consider Windows a virus that needs eliminating. This is not helping linux' reputation. I agree that this is an important area to fix. The Mint folks may or may not have an opportunity to sort this out...linux modules seem to be maintained by so many thiefdoms and if my experience of Grub is anything to go by the coding isn't documented at all. :(

Return to “Installation & Boot”