Mint 16 trying to boot as Ubuntu 13.10

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TheWardrobeMan

Mint 16 trying to boot as Ubuntu 13.10

Post by TheWardrobeMan »

Hello,

I have Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon 32-bit installed and have done for some weeks. The only OS I have installed in mint 16 and it used the full hard drive. There is not dual boot of any kind nor any other partitions. I turned on my computer this morning as normal and it tries to boot as Ubuntu 13.10. A window pops up and says something along the lines of 'Failed to load theme mdm' then does nothing when I close this window. I have never had Ubuntu or another OS apart from Mint 16 installed on this hard drive. I have no idea what has caused this. I have searched the Internet but to no avail and have been unable to find anyone who's had even a similar problem.

I have a ASUS Eee PC 1000H.

I am normally quite competent at solving issues but I am current at a loss. All I can think to do is reinstall the OS but I don't really want to go through the hassle of this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Mint 16 trying to boot as Ubuntu 13.10

Post by viking777 »

No, nobody has ever had a problem like that before:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... nt#p451198

Mind you, even if you had found that, it wouldn't have done you any good because it never got solved and it was about a live cd of Mint 11 not an installation of MInt 16.

You don't give people much to go on though, how do you know it is booting as Ubuntu? The only file you mention is mdm and that is a mint file not used in Ubuntu at all.
TheWardrobeMan

Post by TheWardrobeMan »

Sorry I havn't given much to go on but I barley have anything to go on, thats why I'm so lost as to how to resolve the issue.

Upon boot the screen has Ubuntu 13.10 written in the middle with four dots below which change colour from left to right as if it say it's loading, then the screen goes black and the window pops up about the mdm theme. The only option on the window is to close it. I do so and the screen remains black with only the mouse cursor. Last night Mint 16 was running without any problems.

Thats literally all I have.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I don't know what to say. Pretty obviously you did something during the day that didn't take effect until after you had switched off for the night. Only you can guess what that might be. As the warning message mentioned themes does that mean you were playing around with bootloader themes?

If you hit ctl/alt/f1 do you get a login prompt?

If so you can log in to the virtual terminal and have a search around there, but don't ask me what to look for, maybe

Code: Select all

sudo dpkg-reconfigure mdm
might help?

Like I said, my Mint booting as Ubuntu problem never got any solution, I just carried on using LMDE until the next Mint version came out and that one worked normally.

Return to “Installation & Boot”