Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
boohbah
Level 1
Level 1

Grub boot repair install failure

Postby boohbah » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:16 pm

Apologies if something like this has already been posted :( I tried out the other posts in the forum and I wasn't able to make much sense of them.

I have been trying to dual boot Mint 16 with OSX 9 on a Macbook Pro, and I ran into a grub install error. Following recommendations on this forum, I entered the following into linux terminal:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y boot-repair &&(boot-repair &)

and I received the following error:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/7130973/

I decided to proceed with trying to install Mint anyway, and I got this error:
The 'grub-efi-amd-64-signed' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot.

I had a wired internet connection through the whole process.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Grub boot repair install failure

Postby gold_finger » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:11 pm

Sorry, no idea on this one! Have zero experience with Apple and no hands-on experience with UEFI/EFI-based computers.

However, some of the information on these links may point you in the right direction:
http://www.rodsbooks.com/linux-uefi/
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/index.html

Also, try using search engine below for duel-boot installs with OSX and Linux. Maybe it will produce some helpful results.

Good luck.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Postby austin.texas » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:42 am

I certainly don't have all the answers, but I see two problems in your pastebin.

First, GPT partitioning includes a copy of the partition table at the beginning of the disc, and a backup copy of the partition table at the end of the disc.
You have the warning

Code: Select all

Error: The backup GPT table is not at the end of the disk, as it should be.
This might mean that another operating system believes the disk is smaller.
Fix, by moving the backup to the end (and removing the old backup)?

You may have run the linux partition all the way to the end when you created it, not leaving enough room for the backup partition table.

Also, you have the warnings about SecureBoot being enabled.

Code: Select all

SecureBoot maybe enabled. (maybe sec-boot, Please report this message to boot.repair@gmail.com)
GRUB too old for SecureBoot.

An alternate bootloader, like refind, could help. See gold_finger's links.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2017

boohbah
Level 1
Level 1

Postby boohbah » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:10 am

Sorry, I'm new to all of this. How do I move the backup GPT table to the end of the disk, and would I need to disable SecureBoot then? How do I do that?

Thank you :)

viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby viking777 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:41 am

boohbah wrote:Sorry, I'm new to all of this. How do I move the backup GPT table to the end of the disk, and would I need to disable SecureBoot then? How do I do that?

Thank you :)

Well I am very much not new to all this, and I wouldn't try it, but if you have a particular hatred for the computer you are using and never want to see it working again, you would need to install the application 'gdisk' and then trawl through this site to find how to do it:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/repairing.html

I can't tell you the answer, I don't even have gdisk installed - too scary.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Postby austin.texas » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:24 pm

boohbah wrote:Sorry, I'm new to all of this. How do I move the backup GPT table to the end of the disk, and would I need to disable SecureBoot then? How do I do that?

Both of those things are fairly simple - but keep in mind - those two things may not be the only problems. You probably still need refind.

To make room for the backup partition table at the end of the disc, delete and then recreate, or just resize the Mint partition to leave a few MB of empty space at the end.

To disable SecureBoot is much easier - you do that in your BIOS.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2017

srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Postby srs5694 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, the warning about the backup GPT not being at the end of the disk applies to /dev/sdb -- the Linux installation medium. If I'm correct, that's not a problem -- such media are partitioned in an extremely weird way, and you should both ignore the usual utilities' warnings about them and not try to manipulate their partition tables.

Since you're using a Mac, you needn't worry about Secure Boot; AFAIK, Apple has yet to embrace that optional UEFI feature. The little bit of Secure Boot support in Mint should be pretty much irrelevant (and harmless) on a Mac.

The Boot Repair program is intended mainly for BIOS- and UEFI-based PCs, not for Macs, which have an unusual EFI implementation. I doubt if Boot Repair would do anything helpful on a Mac.

I recommend you do the following:

1. In OS X, install my rEFInd boot manager. (The OS X installation instructions are here.)
  2. In OS X, add the ext4fs driver for rEFInd. You'll need to create a "drivers" or "drivers_x64" directory under the rEFInd installation directory (/EFI/refind by default in OS X) and copy the ext4_x64.efi file from the rEFInd .zip file to that directory.
  3. Reboot. rEFInd should come up, and it should provide you with options to boot both OS X and Linux. You should be able to get into both OSes.
  4. Boot to Mint.
  5. Optional: Run the mkrlconf.sh script that comes with rEFInd. This step isn't strictly necessary given your setup, but it should provide better boot-time options in rEFInd (accessed by hitting F2 or Insert), and it should switch from the verbose text-mode boot images to a simpler graphical boot image.
  6. Optional, but strongly recommended: Install the "gdisk" package, launch gdisk on your disk ("sudo gdisk /dev/sda"), type "x", type "n", type "p" to verify that your partitions are intact, and then type "w" to save your changes. The goal of this step is to replace the ugly and dangerous hybrid MBR that your disk has now with a conventional protective MBR, which will be safer in the long run.

Return to “Installation & Boot”