Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Tropz17
Level 1
Level 1

Problem doing dual-boot on a Samsung AtivBook 9 Lite

Post by Tropz17 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Greetings everyone,

(sorry about the english/formating errors!)
I'm a Mint user on my desktop, and recently acquired a Samsung AtivBook 9 Lite (http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/pcs/NP905S3G-K02US) that came with win8, and since then i'm trying to do the dual-boot, but faced a lot of problems.

First of all, i created a partition on win8 to install the Linux. Then, after some research and some errors, finally got the "UEFI/Legacy mode" solved, and the boot from USB working (Mint xfce32 initially, but after some -lots- of installation failures, the last one I got back to the Mint xfce64 version). Then, the odissey began.

I began following the steps of this tutorial: http://pplware.sapo.pt/linux/dual-boot- ... 2-10-uefi/ (sorry, didn't find an english version to post here).

The partitions were like this: (the /sda5, /sda8 and /sda9 are from linux, on this last install)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz4ehT ... sp=sharing

So, after running at problems like "[Errno 5] Input/output error" during install; another "Input/output error" after install; "Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported"; all sort of GRUB/boot errors, I don't know what to do anymore.

When I turn on the laptop, with the secure boot on, it shows:
"Secure Boot Violation
Invalid signature detected. If this error persists, seek technical assistance.
Reboot"
When it's off, it appears the "Minimal BASH-like line editing..." error
And with the CSM mode selected, it shows a Realtek command line thing, I don't really remember but I can post here.

I got kinda scared after reading that some guys had trouble installing linux on samsung's laptops, and even "killing" their machines. So, I stopped trying while it still turns on...

Well, hope you guys can help me, thanks anyway
Peace

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Problem doing dual-boot on a Samsung AtivBook 9 Lite

Post by gold_finger » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:19 am

I looked at that tutorial. It does not apply to your situation. The author had a UEFI based computer, but his Windows 8 was installed in Legacy mode. His didn't boot grub menu because he pointed the installer to the wrong place for the bootloader. Anyway, on to yours.

You, on the other hand, have Windows 8 installed in UEFI mode. Your drive screenshot shows the existence of an EFI System Partition at /dev/sda2. That means Windows was installed in EFI mode and the hard drive is using GPT partitions for Windows. Therefore, you need to use 64-bit Mint and install it in UEFI mode also.

It looks like you installed Mint in CSM/Legacy mode and tried (maybe succeeded) in creating MBR partitions mixed in there. If you did designate "primary", "extended" and "logical" partitions during the installation (as the tutorial told you to), then you have a choice.

Personally, I think option #2 would be your best bet -- much easier. You don't have anything to save on the bad installation, so you might as well delete it. Use the GParted program from the live Mint DVD/USB to delete the linux partitions. There is a tutorial listed in above instructions for using GParted.

Tropz17 wrote:I got kinda scared after reading that some guys had trouble installing linux on samsung's laptops, and even "killing" their machines. So, I stopped trying while it still turns on...
I've heard of that too, but don't know much about it and don't know if it is still a problem anymore. You may want to search for infomation on that and make sure it does not apply to your model #.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

How To Format Your Forum Posts.

Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for Linux questions.

Tropz17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tropz17 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:44 am

Hello gold_finger, thanks a lot for your answer.

So, this never occurred to me, to load the boot on the /dev/sda2, and it makes sense. I was very happy that finally it would work, and made a new installation of Mint (at this time, it was with Sabayon "installed", i've been trying all kind of distros to see if anyone works for me, and none actually did). Installation was good, but when boots, there's the same problem. The "Minimal BASH-like line editing..." problem. It boots on this terminal screen, with command-line grub.
Another thing is, it isn't really booting on UEFI, it just doesn't work and I always have to change to CSM booting.
I'm wondering about this other partitions, if I could delete them in case of a only-linux install. I'm kinda afraid of losing the warranty doing this, this Samsung problems is really annoying.
Anyway, thanks for the answer, i'll keep trying.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:56 pm

Very sorry Tropz17!

I just realized that I had forgotten a very important step in the installation on that tutorial. That mistake is most certainly what made the installation fail to boot for you. I hate to make you do it all over again, but it would probably be easiest to re-install once again. The missing step is now on that tutorial (in blue).

If you used the tutorial to make your partitions, then you can leave the partitions. During the installation, go through same procedure to select them, designate mount points, etc. ONLY DIFFERENCE will be that you should check the box to FORMAT the root and home partitions (/ and /home). DO NOT format the EFI System Partition, which you will be mounting at /boot/efi (that's the key step I forgot to put in tutorial). And you don't need to do anything at all with the swap partition.

If you did not use the tutorial steps to make the partitions, then delete the Linux partitions and start from scratch.
Please add [SOLVED] to your thread if a solution is found. Go to your first post in the thread, hit "Edit" button and add [SOLVED] to the title of the post.

Tropz17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tropz17 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:31 pm

Hey gold_finger, thanks again!
It's ok, i've been reinstalling so many times this last days that one more doesn't matter...
But, when you say to mount the EFI partition, what happens is, I click on "Change", but the making point is unclickable. Only way is to change the "Use as" to FAT32, but then the mounting point is either /dos or /windows.

Another thing is, I can't really boot from USB in UEFI mode, it doesn't show the option to boot from USB, so everytime I install, it's on CSM mode...

Brain melting in 3...2...1...

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:22 pm

Tropz17 wrote:Another thing is, I can't really boot from USB in UEFI mode, it doesn't show the option to boot from USB, so everytime I install, it's on CSM mode...
If you're not booting in UEFI-mode, then that will not allow you to install using the EFI System Partition (ESP), so you should stop trying that. Do not attempt another install following those tutorial steps -- it might mess up the ESP!

I'm going to need to think about this for a little while. Will post back later with different idea.

P.s. Are you still able to boot into Windows now?

Tropz17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tropz17 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:31 pm

Wow, thanks really...
So, I can't even boot from Windows from the first (or second) time i tried to install the Mint

Derek_S
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Derek_S » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:29 pm

Hello Tropz17 and gold_finger - Just to confirm what Tropz17 is experiencing, I performed two practice installs on my HP Envy DV7. The first was with EFI boot disabled in BIOS (a.k.a. Legacy or CSM mode, depending on manufacturer). When I ran the installer and chose the "Something Else" option, clicked on the EFI partition, then clicked Change, I found the same thing Tropz17 is talking about - you cannot set the mount point as EFI boot, because it is not included in the menu. Also, the format box is enabled.

After rebooting and setting EFI boot as enabled in BIOS, and running the installer, the dialogue box automatically shows EFI boot when you click on the EFI partition, and it does not allow you to change it. Also, the format box is greyed out, or in other words, disabled. So the installer does detect whether you are booting with EFI enabled or disabled in BIOS.

Tropz17, I would be careful here, you do not want to brick your machine. I see you are aware of the problems people are having with Samsung products concerning EFI and Secure Boot. It might be wise to create a recovery USB stick for Windows if you have not done so already. That way if things go bad, you can re-install Windows. Most manufacturers have installed software that allows you to do this. After doing so, you may want to consider wiping Windows from the drive entirely, disabling Secure Boot, enabling CSM mode, and installing Linux Mint as a stand alone operating system. I think it would be a good idea to do some extensive googling first to see if other people have tried this approach and what the outcome is.
Last edited by Derek_S on Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself." - Tecumseh

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:34 pm

Tropz17 wrote:Wow, thanks really...
So, I can't even boot from Windows from the first (or second) time i tried to install the Mint
Tropz17,

If you can no longer boot Windows, did you create recovery DVD's?

If not, lookup the user manual online and find out how to access the recovery partitions on the drive. I would imagine there is a key, or key combination that you need to hit when you power on the computer that will start the recovery process. It will wipe out you unworking Mint and return the system to it's original state.

If you have files saved on there that you need, don't do the recovery until after you have retrieved them using the live Mint DVD/USB. You can still access that Windows partition with the live USB and copy what you need onto DVD's or another USB.

After you've done all of that, post back to let us know how you made out and also to let us know if you want to try again using a different method.

I plugged your laptop model into the search engine listed below and here are some results for you to read through: Samsung AtivBook 9 Lite. It looks like many people have problems installing to it, but there are a few who have got Linux on it -- so that's good to see.

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Derek_S wrote:Hello Tropz17 and gold_finger - Just to confirm what Tropz17 is experiencing, I performed two practice installs on my HP Envy DV7.
Derek_S,

Thanks a lot for that information!

Going to add that to my list of UEFI-related bookmarks.

Tropz17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tropz17 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:59 pm

Hey Derek_S and gold_finger, thank you so much for the help
So, I've tried to make a bootable USB uefi disk with mint, and until now, unsuccessfully. Every time I change to UEFI, it doesn't recognize the USB disk, only in CMS mode.
About the recovery, I've been searching how to do this too, and until now, nothing. It doesn't enter the recovery mode anymode (used to be pressing F4 while booting, but doesn't work), and I didn't create a recovery disk before (realized this was the worst thing I did), and can't access Win8 either. Still, there are the SAMSUNG RECOVERY partitions, which has some folders and files, but no clue of what to do, and I don't want to mess with it more than I already did, so I'm still searching before taking any action. I've contacted the manufacturer and asked about the recovery disk, if they can send me a new one, or what could I do. They said they're not sending, and I asked about the recovery partitions, if I can recover using them. No answer until now...
Wow, I would never guess that this was going to give so much headaches
Anyway, i'll keep trying... thanks a lot guys

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:17 pm

There may be an option for you to get Win 8 booted again.

Boot into live Mint (don't worry about the mode) and do all of this from within that

Go to this site and download the live CD version of rEFInd: http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/index.html. (Use the "Getting rEFInd" link along the left side of page.)

On "Getting rEFInd" page use the link for "A CD-R image file" to download the file; then burn it to a CD.

Use that CD to boot the computer. With any luck, it will allow you to boot into MS Windows. Read the pages describing how it works to give you an idea of what to expect.

Tropz17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tropz17 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:00 pm

Problem is, there is no CD/DVD drive on the laptop.
You think it will work if I burn the image to an USB and boot from there (CSM mode)?

gold_finger
Level 9
Level 9

Post by gold_finger » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:35 pm

It might, so it's worth a try.

There is a link for a USB image of rEFInd on that "Getting rEFInd" page. Use that.

Within your live Mint USB, there should be a program called "USB Image Writer" somewhere in the Menu. (It might be under the Accessories or Administration categories. If not type the name in the Menu search box to find it.)

Download the rEFInd USB image file, then use that program to burn it to a different USB stick. (You may need to attach the other USB before starting the program. I don't know, because I've never used that program myself. But it should be easy to use.)

When done burning to USB, shutdown computer and pull out the live Mint USB. Boot back up using only the rEFInd USB. Whether the program will work if booted in CSM-mode or not -- I don't know. You'll find out when trying to boot the computer with it. If you can, you may want to print a copy of the instructions for using rEFInd for reference while trying to use it. If you can't, then read through the pages and make yourself some notes to go by.

Good luck.

Return to “Installation & Boot”