Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jc0481
Level 1
Level 1

Installation issues. Please help!! Help help help

Postby jc0481 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:40 pm

I just burned the Iso and put in the cd on bootup of my computer. If I am not fast enough I don't see the Linux Mint menu. The first one is Linux Mint and the other one compatibility version. I chose the first one a couple of times. I usually get a login screen. It shows user login in 30 seconds. But I kept thinking how can I login if I have not setup a username and password yet?? Only ONE time did I see the Gnome desktop with one of the icons being the install icon. The screen went black on me that time after I double clicked on the install icon.

Also when it does try to login by itself without me keying anything in. It goes black with a red weird lines at the top of the screen for a couple of seconds then it goes back to the login screen. I tried the compatibility linux with no success either. I am wondering why does it go to a login screen instead of a install screen when I have not installed anything at all? Or even given an option of picking my username and password. By the way I am wondering if its my video card that is causing the problems. I have a ATI Radeon Express X200 chipset integrated into the motherboard. I would love to have an option to install restricted drivers but given no option. All I see is the login screen. I wish their was some way I can go to a terminal and type in commands to recognize my ATI chipset. By the way I am installing this into my parents computer as a dual-boot option. They understand the benefits of Linux. The computer is a desktop. It is a HP Pavilion a1210n model. Is there any way to fix this? I hope somebody on here can help with this issue. Thanks.

Husse
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Installation issues. Please help!! Help help help

Postby Husse » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:20 am

I have a feeling this is a bad CD because you should never get a log in on the live CD
Did you check the md5sum and burned s slow as possible?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it

jc0481
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Installation issues. Please help!! Help help help

Postby jc0481 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:05 pm

No I did not do those 2 things you mentioned. I may have to download once again and check the md5 checksum this time and I think I did not change the default burning program in Windows. I checked it and it was at the fastest setting. By the way I used imgburn in Windows XP. I will post a followup. Thanks for mentioning that.

Return to “Installation & Boot”