dual boot linux mint 16 cin-windows xp: xp does not start up

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
janvw

dual boot linux mint 16 cin-windows xp: xp does not start up

Post by janvw »

After installing Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon all options for booting are shown. Linux is working properly but Windows XP does not boot. When selecting Windows the screen is black. Probably a boot problem. I have already tried to fix it with Boot-Repair without result. The log of the Boot-repair is shown on http://paste.ubuntu.com/7266989/. Any suggestions ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
claggan

Re: dual boot linux mint 16 cin-windows xp: xp does not star

Post by claggan »

I can't help you ... because I have the identical problem. Started off with losing both boots but at present I can boot to Mint. But get the black screen when booting to XP. If you want to look at the very good suggestions I got (Lost both boots .... thread - just below yours). I will watch your post for ideas.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Boot into Mint. Open a terminal and enter the command
sudo update-grub
That should put both Windows on the grub menu.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
janvw

Post by janvw »

hi austin,
I have followed your instructions but that does not work. Windows XP Media Center Edition is found at /dev/sda1
The problem is not that Windows is not on the Boot-menu,
It is present but after selecting Windows nothing happens, a black blank screen is shown. It looks like that the Windows boot file has been damaged.
I am also following the messages from claggan on the subject: Lost both boots after Linuxmint 16 Cin. Install
and it looks like that we are both in the same situation now.
janvw

Post by janvw »

Although I am not a computer expert I have done some further investigations and found the following:

a. Orginally in Windows I had two options when booting:
1. Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition
2. HP - PC Recovery

b. After Installing Linux MInt Cinnamon with the the different options
I choose to install Linux alongside Windows and assigned the disk space on approx. 50% for each system
After installation I had the following options for booting:

1. Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon 32-bit, 3.11.0-12-generic (/dev/sda5)
2. Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon 32-bit, 3.11.0-12-generic (/dev/sda5) -- recovery mode
3. Memory test (memtest86+)
4. Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)
5. Windows XP Media Center Edition (on /dev/sda1)
6. Windows NT/2000/XP (on /dev/sda2)

All options except 5 were working properly, Windows XP could not be booted, it resulted in a black screen

So. it looks like that the boot is corrupted in one or another way

I have used my Windows Recovery CDROM in order to repair the boot for Windows.

First of all I have used the option MAP to show the disk partitions and was surprised to see that installing Linux has changed the different partitions:

It Shows:

H: NTFS 115973 MB \Device\Harddisk4\Partition 1 (In Linux SDA1) (Windows XP)
J: 114958 MB \Device\Harddisk4\Partition 3 (In Linux SDA3)
K: 1022 MB \Device\Harddisk4\Partition 4 (In Linux SDA4)
C: Fat32 6519 MB \Device\Harddisk4\Partition 2 (In Linux SDA2) (HP Recovery)
I: \Device\CDRom0 (In Linux SDA6)

Linux Mint (SDA5) is not mentioned

I have tried to repair the Boot for Windows by the command FIXMBR
After reboot the HP Recovery tool was started, which is on the C: partition
So, it looks like that Windows is expecting the boot on the C: partition
Why Linux has changed this to H: is unclear for me and I don't know how to fix it.

Please advise
TheRealShane

Post by TheRealShane »

Heh, I can see myself repeatedly posting this response!

Hi Janvw!

If you email me on the Gmail.com account in the name of sixpencedearturo, I'll send you an iso (about 1MB) of an old version of BootItNG. Burn it to optical media. It has a GUI with mouse support.
Select the MBR option (not EMBR). Highlight the Windows partition, click Set Active. Reboot.
The most common reason Windows doesn't boot after attempting a multi-boot set-up is the information about which partition Windows is on has been 'misplaced'. You can edit the relevant files from XP to Windows 8.1 using BootItNG. With Vista/Windows7/Windows 8.x this requires using the BCDEdit option. With XP it requires using the Edit option, then scrolling to Boot.ini, opening that and changing the partition number (that is, once XP is set Active and it still doesn't boot, it is because it cannot find the boot manager because it is pointing at the wrong partition.

Generally the partition set active is the one - in Windows - that will be assigned 'C:' at boot time. If you try this and it doesn't work, let us know and I'll figure it out. Been a long time; I used to do this on a regular basis, but I'm rusty with XP!

Shane
claggan

Post by claggan »

Hello Janvw,

Have a look at my solution .... under 'Lost both boots ......
It seems to be something to do with numbering partitions.

Good luck
janvw

Post by janvw »

Hi Shane,
Thanks for your response,
If the problem cannot be solved in Linux in an easy way (see comments from/to claggan) I will send you an e-mail.
As already written before I am not a computer expert, so I need step by step simple instructions what exactly has to be done.
Thanks in advance
Janvw
janvw

Post by janvw »

Hi claggan, thanks for your reply. As there is a lot of info on your subject it is unclear for me what the exact solution is.
Are that the comments from austin.texas at the end:

Re: Lost both boots after Linuxmint 16 Cin. Install
Postby austin.texas on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:55 pm

Boot into Mint. Open a terminal. Enter this command -
gksudo gedit /etc/grub.d/40_custom

That opens the file 40_custom in your text editor. Add these lines to the end of the text file -

menuentry "Microsoft Windows XP (on /dev/sda1)" --class windows --class os {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 5CED-3B40
drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
chainloader +1
}

Save and exit gedit.

Update GRUB
sudo update-grub

Hopefully that will fix things...

Please advise and let me know what the exact solution is
Thanks,
Janvw
claggan

Post by claggan »

Hi Janvw,

TheRealShane is spot on. It has to do with the Active/Boot sector where the boot files are.
I just posted exactly what I did under the other thread. .... 'Lost Both Boots ...."
Good luck
TheRealShane

Post by TheRealShane »

Hi Janvw,

Believe me, the way I'm telling you is the simple way. I would give you step-by-step instructions along with the iso, though there is actually no more you need to know that isn't in my first post. It's a GUI, not command line. You can see what I'm talking about.

I just installed Mint 16 Mate on my Windows XP vm as it occurs to me its an interesting thing to do. Installed grub to the mbr. It boots XP okay, but anyway I can see how Mint reports it.

Occurred to me - this is long back! - before routinely using EasyBCD, I used BootMagic as boot manager (had to stop using it when I went 64-bit. BootMagic required a FAT partition to run from, so used to make a seperate 50MB one for that, which could, before disks got big, be at the end of the drive).

Shane
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

TheRealShane wrote:BootItNG. Burn it to optical media. It has a GUI with mouse support.
Select the MBR option (not EMBR). Highlight the Windows partition, click Set Active. Reboot.
The most common reason Windows doesn't boot after attempting a multi-boot set-up is the information about which partition Windows is on has been 'misplaced'. You can edit the relevant files from XP to Windows 8.1 using BootItNG. With Vista/Windows7/Windows 8.x this requires using the BCDEdit option. With XP it requires using the Edit option, then scrolling to Boot.ini, opening that and changing the partition number (that is, once XP is set Active and it still doesn't boot, it is because it cannot find the boot manager because it is pointing at the wrong partition.
I have never heard of this tool before -- so I looked it up after seeing your (TheRealShane's) remarks. Too bad didn't know about it from the start with claggan's post because it sounds like the perfect tool for the job. Thanks for posting the info TheRealShane.

@Janvw,

I would recommend giving that BootitNG tool a try -- sounds like it will do the job. Here are weblinks to the program. First one is to an older version that sounds like the one TheRealShane is referring to and recommending (he can confirm this); second is the latest version which goes by a slightly different name.

BootIt® Next Generation

BootIt® Bare Metal

Please report back with results and describe experience using it. I'm sure a number of people will be interested to hear more about this BootitNG tool if it works.
TheRealShane

Post by TheRealShane »

Yes gold_finger, the first link is the one. However you need Windows to create the iso from. Various scenarios where that's not a problem, of course, but is why I offer to supply it.

When the tool was still BootItNG - or 'Bing', a rather unfortunate contraction as it turned out! - you can run it indefinitely, without buying it, if you don't install it. I don't think you'll find 'Bare Metal' so accommodating! I imagine with NG you need to switch to IDE mode first, but that won't be an issue on an XP machine.

Creating the iso - run setup.bat - is more involved, but these are the options I used:
1. Mouse support (the default selection)
2. Standard VGA
3. Partition work.
4. Enable SATA CD/DVD support.

Then you skip optional registration and finally choose the device to install to (which can also be a usb drive).
Really no need to enable usb 2.0, and I don't know about the usb controller/fix other than an XP machine almost certainly doesn't need them. Best to leave non-required options deselected.

Shane
gold_finger

Post by gold_finger »

TheRealShane wrote:Yes gold_finger, the first link is the one. However you need Windows to create the iso from. Various scenarios where that's not a problem, of course, but is why I offer to supply it.
Okay, didn't realize that. Did quick lookup on youtube and found this video which shows what you're talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbJE0m35Ng0. Looks like simple procedure as long as someone has access to a Windows computer (friend, relative, etc.). Good info though -- glad you posted it.
TheRealShane

Post by TheRealShane »

I'd forgotten about that guy. I forget what it was for but I did use his instructions for something (rather more complex) a while back.

Not sure why he doesn't just click on 'setup', which does the same thing. Each to their own, I guess!

Bear in mind, with all he enables, he's targeting more recent computers; while mine is much more modern than an XP machine but those minimum features I selected are fine for this. Selecting Partition work takes you straight to the screen required here, while pretty-much everything else is for using it as a boot loader, or using an Extended MBR (which isn't required with Linux and pretty esoteric for Windows too, even back then).

Shane
janvw

Post by janvw »

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your clear instructions. I was able to create the iSO on a different Windows machine (8.1) and booted it on the XP machine exactly as you instructed, but after reboot it's stll the same
problem: starting XP Media Center results in a black screen.
I am still confused why Linux has put Windows XP on partition H: (in Linux SDA1) and HP Recovery on Partition C: (in Linux SDA2)

It looks like that this cannot be solved easily and maybe the best option for this computer is to install Linux Mint only and to remove Windows completely. In that case I have to find alternatives for various Windows programs
like Itunes, Adobe Photoshop Elements etc.
Anyway thanks everybody for your assistance.
TheRealShane

Post by TheRealShane »

Hi janvw,

Difficult to know what to say without seeing what you see.

If you're considering removing XP entirely, first I would suggest just delete HP Recovery, then try again. HP Recovery just isn't needed. If you get XP back you can image it, and/or you can acquire an iso - HP or retail - and the necessary drivers, to re-install, if necessary, once HP Recovery is gone.

What partition does boot.ini say XP is on?

Shane
janvw

Post by janvw »

Hi, Shane thanks again for your suggestions.

I have started BootItNG again, selected the partition where Windows is on i.e. HP_PAVILION-0 Partition 115973 MB HPFS/NTFS,
selected Properties, got the message: Invalid Head and SPT values exist in the BPB Fix it ?
replied with : No
The Properties (1) screen is shown: Name: HP-Pavilion-0, File System: 7/7h: HPFS/NTFS Size: 115973 MB, LBA Information: Start: 63, End: 237512551
Additional Info: Bootable: NTFS, Cluster Size 4096 byte(s), *Warning* File system ends at LBA 237512543, This partition may not boot WInNT
In the next step I selected: Edit file: the screen with all the files and directories is shown, selected BOOT.INI which shows:

[boot loader]
timeout=3
default=multi<0>disk<0>rdisk<0>partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi<0>disk<0>rdisk<0>partition(1)|WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Herstelconsole"/cmdcons

There is also a BOOT.BAK file which reads:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi<0>disk<0>rdisk<0>partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi<0>disk<0>rdisk<0>partition(1)|WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Any suggestions ?
TheRealShane

Post by TheRealShane »

Hi Janvw,

Excuse me for being fascinated by this!

Googling the "Invalid Head and SPT values" message brings a small no. of hits, pretty-much all of which relate to BootItNG, and far from being a problem with BootItNG (or BootItBM) it seems more like it is about the only tool (or free, or unlimited trial tool) out there that addresses this very real issue. I am impressed!

Terabyte Unlimited support recommend leaving it alone if you can boot the partition - which obviously you can't. So click 'Yes'. One guy - but only one - recommends running 'FixMBR' afterwards (it worked for him).

The issue is that the partition size has been altered such that it no longer aligns correctly with the disk cylinders. If 'yes' doesn't fix it, it seems the most likely operation that will is to resize the partition, down (by a couple or so MB).

The problem is the partition no longer ends on the cylinder it is supposed to end. Resizing down, it should be correctly realigned - say, for the sake of argument, you say to resize down 2MB, but the cylinder on which the partition should end is 1.5MB down, it will be resized down 1.5MB rather than 2MB.

I hope that's readable; I've been up all night looking for my cat (who came home none the worse for wear after 28 hours who-knows-where).

My suggestion is:

1. Run BootItNG. This time select 'yes' to fixing the "Invalid Head and SPT values" issue.
2. If XP still doesn't boot: run BootIt again, this time select to resize the partition down 2MB.
3. If XP still doesn't boot: run BootIt again and select to 'FixMBR'.
4. If it still doesn't boot, post back, by which time I'll have got some sleep and have got my head around what to do next.

Good luck.

Shane
janvw

Post by janvw »

Hi Shane, I hope you got some good sleep.

I did step 1 and after that XP does show the boot screen of Windows XP and HP-Recovery on it for a short while and came with the message:

Windows cannot be started as the following file has been damaged or cannot be found: System32\drivers\pci.sys
You can try to repair this file by starting-up Windows setup from the original cd-rom with the installation files
Select 'R'in the first screen to start the repair procedure (Please note that the original message is in Dutch, I have translated it to my best knowledge)

I did run Bootit again to find out if this file is present or not, I found dir sys32 in dir Windows but selecting the directory resulted in scrolling in Windows and finally resulted in a blank screen

After that I have selected Resize in Bootit but that resulted in an error: error 62 found on files system, use a tool such as Scandisk or Chkdsk/f to correct this error.

I also have tried to find the file using Windows Recovery but using the command Dir in directory Windows resulted after showing the file 'Resources' in an error:
'Än error has been occured during showing the maps (again translated from Dutch)

So, it looks like that something in Windows also has been corrupted
I will wait on your comments

Thanks,
Janvw

Return to “Installation & Boot”