Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TANUJMINTLINUX
Level 2
Level 2

about installing GRUB without installing mint

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

if i first install linux mint on my pc and then install windows 7 on it , then the GRUB is lost and i will not be able to boot in the MINT unless i reinstall the mint completely alongside the windows 7.
Now my question is that is there any other way by which i can install GRUB back without reinstalling MINT.
if possible please explain it lucidly :)

wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Re: about installing GRUB without installing mint

Post by wayne128 »

TANUJMINTLINUX wrote:if i first install linux mint on my pc and then install windows 7 on it , then the GRUB is lost and i will not be able to boot in the MINT unless i reinstall the mint completely alongside the windows 7.
the statement in red is false.

I can easily boot to other Linux OS by using Win7 running with EasyBCD, or from another boot loader elsewhere... all can be done without reinstall mint completely

Now my question is that is there any other way by which i can install GRUB back without reinstalling MINT.
1. After Win7 install, install EasyBCD from NeoSmart, add a grub2 entry to boot Mint.

2. Use another boot loader, which is on external Media, such as system rescue, riplinux, supergrub2, etc and they can boot into mint.

or install another Linux OS into hard disk and use it to boot Mint, Win7 and itself.

3. if you do not use method 1, or 2, then,
boot computer with Linuxmint DVD, run Live, then open a terminal, mount the Linuxmint partition and reinstall grub to MBR.

PS: all these are for hard disk that are in msdos-partition.
not applicable for UEFI/GPT partition hard disk.

TANUJMINTLINUX
Level 2
Level 2

Post by TANUJMINTLINUX »

wayne128 wrote:
TANUJMINTLINUX wrote:if i first install linux mint on my pc and then install windows 7 on it , then the GRUB is lost and i will not be able to boot in the MINT unless i reinstall the mint completely alongside the windows 7.
the statement in red is false.

I can easily boot to other Linux OS by using Win7 running with EasyBCD, or from another boot loader elsewhere... all can be done without reinstall mint completely

1. After Win7 install, install EasyBCD from NeoSmart, add a grub2 entry to boot Mint.

2. Use another boot loader, which is on external Media, such as system rescue, riplinux, supergrub2, etc and they can boot into mint.

or install another Linux OS into hard disk and use it to boot Mint, Win7 and itself.

3. if you do not use method 1, or 2, then,
boot computer with Linuxmint DVD, run Live, then open a terminal, mount the Linuxmint partition and reinstall grub to MBR.

PS: all these are for hard disk that are in msdos-partition.
not applicable for UEFI/GPT partition hard disk.

hi! can u elaborate the 3 rd method about installing grub through terminal

Cammo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Cammo »

Or alternatively, you can boot with your live cd/usb and fix from there - that's what I do every time I break my GRUB. I found a nifty little install guide:
http://www.webupd8.org/2009/05/fix-rest ... oader.html

Essentially, you find out what your boot partition is using

Code: Select all

sudo fdisk -l
Once you've identified your linux partition, you mount it to a random folder:

sudo mkdir /mnt/system
 sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/system
(replacing sda5 with your sda number)

Then, go root fully

sudo -i
Now you can do the following:

mount -o bind /dev /mnt/system/dev
chroot /mnt/system
grub-install /dev/sda
To reinstall Grub. Sorry if it's a little long winded, I'm sure one of the regulars has a quicker way of doing it. I've used this method several times in the past to save me from a broken Grub.

Return to “Installation & Boot”